On This Day - Part 2 - Page 25 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

On This Day - Part 2

AyrshireTon

March 23rd - 

1946 - Morton 7-1 Queen of the South 

Scottish Southern League Cup - group stage.

1940 - Morton 2-3 Albion Rovers (Calder 2)

Scottish Regional League - Western Division.

1935 - Morton 3-0 Brechin City 

1929 - Alloa Athletic1-3 Morton 

1918 - Queen's Park 3-0 Morton

D2XQXmGWwAA-Qde.jpg

1912 - Hamilton 3-1 Morton (Chalmers)

D2XS12YX4AMwLCs.jpg

1907 - Third Lanark 2-1 Morton (Lindsay)

D2XS9k-XcAUSAOk.jpg

1895 - Abercorn 5-3 Morton 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 24th - 

2018 - Morton 2-0 Brechin City (Baird 2)

2012 - Ayr United 0-0 Morton

1992 - Morton 0-0 Kilmarnock

1984 - Morton 2-1 Airdrieonians (Rooney, Pettigrew)

1979 - Morton 3-1 Dundee United (McNeil, Anderson, Tolmie)

Tolmie scores the 3rd.

D2aZjFNXcAEVcgM.jpg

D2aZgdLWoAIopR5.jpg

1973 - Morton 1-1 Dumbarton (Osborne)

1969 - Heart of Midlothian 2-2 Morton (Bartram 2)

D2acurUW0AA3I26.jpg

1962 - Forfar 1-2 Morton (McGraw, Mallan)

1956 - St. Johnstone 4-1 Morton (Gibson)

1951 - Aberdeen 3-0 Morton 

D2adZ71WkAA6kb3.jpg

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

March 24th - 

1945 - Morton 1-0 Hamilton (Kelly)

1934 - Morton 4-2 Brechin City (Keyes 3, ?)

1928 - Morton 0-2 Albion Rovers 

1925 - Celtic 2-1 Morton (Wilson)

D2ae2FUWsAAiH-N.jpg

1923 - Celtic 3-1 Morton (French)

D2aeqETWkAELL4L.jpg

1917 - St. Mirren 0-0 Morton

D2afcxdWoAENl6s.jpg

1906 - Third Lanark 0-1 Morton (Turnbull)

D2afpIpXcAAFsJM.jpg

1900 - Leith Athletic 0-1 Morton (Campbell)

D2agQvYXcAIdY7G.jpg

1894 - Morton 0-2 Abercorn

D2agehMWoAYd0Gh.jpg

Here is a report on that Cup victory over Hamilton on Saturday March 24, 1945:

2nd Cup game (Section ”C”) at home, at Cappielow Park, Greenock

Greenock Morton (0) 1 – 0 (0) Hamilton Academicals

Scorer:  Kelly 

Team: McFeat, Highet, Fyfe, Campbell, Aird, Whyte, Kelly, Garth, Arthur, McAloon, McInnes.

Morton played towards Greenock in the first half.  McAloon was sent through as early as the first minute, but a slick back-tackle by Lowe for Hamilton allows Ryan in the Academicals’ goal to punch clear.  A minor siege follows which the visiting team survive without conceding.  McInnes runs past two men for another fleeting Morton attack, but his shot is cleared without troubling the goalkeeper.  Ryan next punches clear a dangerous McInnes cross, before Arthur and Garth go close with a dribble and cross. 

Hamilton have the next chance, with a shot by ex-Scottish international Buchan flying past McFeat’s right post, after neat passing between McCall and McShane.  Garth has the next shot, sending it past the Hamilton left post after a pass from McAloon, with McShane missing in a similar manner at the other end of the pitch for Hamilton.  This led to a Hamilton corner taken by McColl, from which Campbell performs a dramatic diving header to clear. 

A strong but too direct Campbell shot is well held by Ryan.  Campbell gets the next chance, shooting past the Hamilton right post.  After a long cross-clearance by Highet, McInnes takes control of the ball and following some good work sends in a whiz-shot that is just stopped by Ryan at the near post.  On the next Hamilton attack, McColl cannot gather the ball before it passes the bye-line, and the ‘goal’ from his subsequent cross, headed home by Clark, is disallowed. 

McAloon is downed in the penalty area, but Whyte sends the resulting penalty flying over the bar.  Morton then do everything but score:  McInnes goes close with a lob, McAloon sends a shot over the bar, Highet goes close, Arthur sends a McInnes cross over the bar and a McAloon header from a Kelly corner is stopped by McGurk on the goal-line, an apparent hand-ball not given.  Arthur sends a shot straight at Ryan, and McShane sends one over Morton’s bar for Hamilton, to end the first half. 

HT:  Morton 0 - 0 Hamilton

Clark sends in low shot to the left corner of the Morton goal to start the second half, only for a fine diving save from McFeat, who palmed the ball away to concede a corner.  McShane then sends in a whiz, McFeat this time saving neatly on his knees.  McAloon then receives the ball near the left Hamilton corner flag, sending a pass along the by-line to Garth, who has his back to goal.  Garth cleverly flicks the ball over his head and into the path of the in-rushing KELLY, who sends in a low shot from the far side of the penalty area back into the near left corner, bamboozling Ryan. 

McColl and McShane both have chances for Hamilton but send them wide left and over the bar.  McAloon then just sends a header over the bar from a Garth cross.  Arthur’s overhead try goes past the right post.  McAloon sends in another strong shot but wide of the mark and then Garth, with only Ryan to beat, waits too long and allows the goalkeeper to smother the ball. 

An Arthur header of a Kelly cross is just held by Ryan, and McInnes sends another chance into the side-netting.  McAloon sends a cross from a Kelly free-kick towards Garth, but he can only send a header into the arms of Ryan.  Garth then has another try from the right bye-line, but the angle is too narrow to beat Ryan.  A McInnes header of another Kelly cross is again held by Ryan.  Fyfe then hits a free-kick against the far-right post, the ball rebounding behind Ryan before being cleared, to end the game.

Best Morton player:  Campbell

March 25th - 

2017 - Morton 0-1 Dunfermline

Unbeaten home record goes - one day short of the year. No idea what Gaston was doing at the goal.

http://youtu.be/twDTaJ7-n5o

2014 - Cowdenbeath 3-0 Morton

Thnakfully, there's no footage of this one.

2007 - Forfar 0-4 Morton (Greacen 2, Templeman, Weatherson)

http://youtu.be/dAeX55YvEOM

2006 - Morton 0-4 Ayr United

Play-off place secured and no chance of catching Gretna, McInally later said that he believed the team downed tools that day.

March 25th - 

2000 - Livingston 1-0 Morton

http://youtu.be/mssoxBkDU_E

1995 - Morton 2-2 Stirling Albion (Rajamaki)

A goal down early on, Marko got us in front, the equaliser a great solo effort. Then a low Stirling cross flicked off Derek Lilley's foot, flew 20 yards and gave Wylie no chance.

1989 - Airdrieonians 2-1 Morton (Spencer)

Airdrie's 1st goalscorer was loaned to a junior club. He was borrowed back for this game, scored, and was sent back to the juniors. Never played for Airdrie again.

http://youtu.be/cEfGqjovJzo

1986 - Morton 1-0 Dumbarton (Robertson)

D2haV6BXgAETAwJ.jpg

1978 - Morton 1-1 Queen of the South (Goldthorp)

D2hauwqWkAUFOtc.jpg

1972 - Rangers 1-2 Morton (Chalmers, og)

D2hbkFDWwAAzbp6.jpg

D2hblBTX4AIcwR0.jpg

1970 - Dundee 2-1 Morton (Mason)

D2hnP9sWwAEm0El.jpg

1967 - Morton 4-0 Dumbarton (Anderson 2, Sweeney, Jardine)

1961 - Hamilton 3-0 Morton 

1959 - Ayr United 3-3 Morton (Beaton, Ferguson pen, Pearson)

D2ho_0gWwAIaz0m.jpg

1950 - Morton 3-1 Arbroath (Mochan, McGarrity, Mitchell)

March 25th - 

1944 - Morton 4-1 Albion Rovers 

1933 - Heart of Midlothian 5-2 Morton (Keyes, White)

D2hqM4IX4AEPpCQ.jpg

1922 - Morton 3-0 Clydebank (Buchanan, Gourlay, McIntyre)

D2hqWKwXgAAxNpl.jpg

1914 - Hibernian 1-2 Morton (Buchanan 2)

D2hqemJX0AExOOZ.jpg

1911 - Morton 2-2 Rangers (O'Hagan, Gracie)

D2hbjVxWwAAEEu5.jpg

March 26th - 

2016 - Morton 0-1 Raith Rovers 

2011 - Ross County 2-0 Morton

2002 - Morton 0-0 Cowdenbeath 

A game against relegation rivals which we really needed to win. Next up - Cowdenbeath away.

1994 - Morton 2-0 Clyde (Mahood 2)

1991 - Morton 1-1 Forfar (John Boag)

1988 - Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Morton 

With six games still remaining, we were officially relegated.

D2nB7txWoAAr43a.jpg

1983 - Morton 1-2 Aberdeen (Ritchie)

Andy Ritchie's last goal for Morton :(

D2nCaSmW0AAZOdY.jpg

1977 - Morton 1-0 Falkirk (Ritchie)

D2nC8z2XQAsdkBq.jpg

1960 - Cowdenbeath 2-5 Morton (Collings 2, Craig 2, Frizzel)

1955 - Morton 2-0 Albion Rovers (Hannigan, Bryceland)

March 26th - 

1938 - Morton 2-3 Rangers (McGarry, Mooney)

D2nEGaGWkAIL403.jpg

1932 - Morton 6-2 Queen's Park (Black 2, Ritchie, Clunas, McCartney, Lyle)

D2nEcEMXcAAm9fe.jpg

1930 - Morton 3-2 Heart of Midlothian (McRorie 2, McCartney)

D2nB2ISWkAAfxjd.jpg

1921 - Hibernian 4-0 Morton

D2nFDKIX4AcpPdo.jpg

1910 - Morton 0-2 Queen's Park

D2nEbLIWoAAuVYv.jpg

1898 - Ayr 6-1 Morton

Our final game, but Port Glasgow won 4 of their outstanding games to finish 2nd ahead of us. This mattered little, as no teams were elected to the top flight.

D2nFPBNWoAAmts4.jpg

1892 - Morton 3-1 Ayr (?, Morrison, ?)

Scottish Alliance.

D2nFODZWwAAYjci.jpg

March 27th - 

2010 - Airdrie United 3-0 Morton

2004 - East Fife 1-0 Morton

Wheels starting to come off the promotion bus.

2001 - F*lk*rk 1-3 Morton (James 2, og)

1993 - Morton 2-1 Dumbarton (Gahagan, Alexander)

1989 - St. Johnstone 3-2 Morton (Robertson, Alexander)

Scottish Cup Quarter Final.

http://youtu.be/9mwikKfEVWI

D2spAchXQAAjpIz.jpg

1982 - Dundee United 5-0 Morton

D2sp9fgW0AA7J24.jpg

1976 - Montrose 1-4 Morton (Goldthorp 2, Harley 2)

Spring Cup - group stage.

1971 - Morton 0-0 Clyde

1965 - Dundee United 3-2 Morton (McGraw, Adamson)

1963 - Morton 5-3 Alloa Athletic (McGraw 2, Mallan, McLaughlin pen, Turner)

1954 - Morton 2-2 Ayr United (Gibson, Gourlay)

March 27th - 

1948 - Morton 1-0 Celtic (Murphy)

Scottish Cup semi-final.

For only the second time, we reached the final of the Scottish Cup. Our opponents would again be Rangers.

D2sqKVEX4AA6O83.jpg

1943 - Morton 5-2 Dumbarton (White 3, ?, ?)

1937 - Morton 6-0 Brechin City (Black 4, ?, ?)

1926 - Partick Thistle 3-3 Morton (Buchanan, Dunlop, French)

D2ssxz7X0AMg_gH.jpg

1920 - Kilmarnock 3-2 Morton (French, Gourlay)

Scottish Cup semi final. Played at Hampden.

We were 2-0 up at one stage.

D2ss7nmWsAEAXgA.jpg

1915 - Queen's Park 0-2 Morton (May, Gourlay)

D2stpBTXcAAmPzU.jpg

1909 - Morton 3-1 Airdrieonians (Hamilton, Gillies 2)

D2stzT-WoAAcVN6.jpg

Okay folks - this is pretty much where I came in with the full lists. Don't see the point in reporting the whole lot forever for the sake of a few games which are a year old.

I still intend to post, but restrict it to clips (famous or infamous) and the more important or vital games.

If I unearth anything new I'll add it too (the handful of Scottish Alliance reports for example).

Most of the older stuff comes from the Glasgow Herald archives. I generally clean the reports up a bit before posting them but occasionally some are beyond that.

Some random months have no editions at all (for example - there are no reports for us going top of the Premier), but the guy who does the 78/79 Celtic twitter has pointed out to me that the Evening Times has archives too. The newer reports are from my own stuff.

Goalscorers from certain eras are often hard to come by - I had gotten a lot of early 1900s stuff from a Scottish Historical site which has now been archived. Once the 1920s were over there generally was no mention of scorers from outside the top league. Looking at the pre-1900 stuff, football in general was in its infancy and not all games were reported on, save for a mention of the score. Wartime stuff had been helped by torontobee's reports, which are excellent.

Over the course of the year I've found errors and anomalies in my own records - once or twice I've had to let the fitbastats guys know of errors in their data too.

Anyway - always enjoy seeing other posters' memories of games players etc.

March 28th - 

2015 - Dunfermline 0-4 Morton (S. McCluskey, Kilday, McManus, Russell)

http://youtu.be/ZhXfi2ioNp8

2006 - Morton 4-0 Dumbarton (McAlister, Weatherson, Walker 2)

http://youtu.be/6125aTxe5c4

1987 - Dumbarton 2-3 Morton (Alexander, Turner, Boag)

Crunch game at Boghead - great support went through. At 2-2, Alex Totten's Dumbarton looked the more likely until their keeper smashed a through ball off Jimmy Boag's back. It rebounded in and he ran to us like he'd scored a peach. This game pretty much ended Dumbarton's promotion chances.

D2yBYX1VAAAjixN.jpg

1979 - Celtic 3-0 Morton 

D2yC4pjUcAEtKO5.jpg

Okay folks - this is pretty much where I came in with the full lists. Don't see the point in reporting the whole lot forever for the sake of a few games which are a year old.

I still intend to post, but restrict it to clips (famous or infamous) and the more important or vital games.

If I unearth anything new I'll add it too (the handful of Scottish Alliance reports for example).

Most of the older stuff comes from the Glasgow Herald archives. I generally clean the reports up a bit before posting them but occasionally some are beyond that.

Some random months have no editions at all (for example - there are no reports for us going top of the Premier), but the guy who does the 78/79 Celtic twitter has pointed out to me that the Evening Times has archives too. The newer reports are from my own stuff.

Goalscorers from certain eras are often hard to come by - I had gotten a lot of early 1900s stuff from a Scottish Historical site which has now been archived. Once the 1920s were over there generally was no mention of scorers from outside the top league. Looking at the pre-1900 stuff, football in general was in its infancy and not all games were reported on, save for a mention of the score. Wartime stuff had been helped by torontobee's reports, which are excellent.

Over the course of the year I've found errors and anomalies in my own records - once or twice I've had to let the fitbastats guys know of errors in their data too.

Anyway - always enjoy seeing other posters' memories of games players etc.

Thanks so much, AyrshireTon - no small amount of work posting all these and makes quite a record of the past. 

Perhaps at some point they could be gathered in a different way, e.g. season-by-season?   Not sure if there is a 'Ton site that could host such a record.  The Fitbastats gives the scores and some scorers/teams but the reports (and videos) add so much more.  

I added several reports from 1944 and 1945 but for sure missed some from my dad's diary of those years.  Happy to add as and when.   

Thanks so much, AyrshireTon - no small amount of work posting all these and makes quite a record of the past. 

Perhaps at some point they could be gathered in a different way, e.g. season-by-season?   Not sure if there is a 'Ton site that could host such a record.  The Fitbastats gives the scores and some scorers/teams but the reports (and videos) add so much more.  

I added several reports from 1944 and 1945 but for sure missed some from my dad's diary of those years.  Happy to add as and when.   

I would love to see some sort of season-by-season record with access to reports, clips etc. The Celtic wiki (for example) is excellent and there are a couple of other clubs who have a archives of sorts.

It's not something which I have the technical knowledge for, I'm afraid. Couldn't tell you how to set up a website, for example.

April 1st - 

1995 - Stenhousemuir 1-1 Morton (Lilley)

D3FuaeXXkAIW0Am.jpg

Top of the table clash in the 2nd Division. My mate and I were on different buses from the Morton Supporters Club. His got to Ochilview at half time. Fortunately, he saw both goals, ours a scrambled effort from Lilley which caused much scenes in their old shed.

April 2nd - 

2002 - Morton 0-3 Queen of the South

Sean O'Connor had been recalled by Dundee United - so that they could sell him to Queens. He and his new mates gave us a real doing.

1985 - St. Mirren 2-3 Morton (Doak Alexander Thomson)

Our last top flight derby win to date.

Bobby Thomson's penultimate goal for Morton.

D3IrnHdXcAA_VqC.jpg

1980 - Partick Thistle 0-1 Morton (Scott)

D3Iuf1gWAAAO48b.jpg

1977 - Clydebank 2-3 Morton (Ritchie, McGhee 2, 1 pen)

D3Ir_X1XQAMrpx4.jpg

1968 - Morton 1-2 Heart of Midlothian (Rankin)

Scottish Cup semi-final replay.

http://youtu.be/rWeMijwIAO4

Bobby Thomson scored in the last game of that season a 2-1 home loss to Aberdeen.

Funny, I remember you saying (years ago) that he scored in his last game for us - really ought to have checked that.  :oops:

April 3rd - 

2010 - Morton 3-3 Queen of the South (Witteveen 3)

Since this game we've only seen 2 other league hat-tricks - Archie Campbell against Dumbarton and Stefan McCluskey against Stirling.

Footage (including all the goals) from the away end.

http://youtu.be/tS-9Ndjcr7M

2007 - Brechin City 0-1 Morton (Greacen)

http://youtu.be/_Mj-5krkcxM

Archived