Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 39 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

Good news about Cadden. Looks handy and scored a belter against us for Livi at Cappielow.

Is there something happening with Jacobs? Signed PCA and contract up end of May but no official confirmation yet?

Fair amount of knicker wetting about that starting.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news about Cadden. Looks handy and scored a belter against us for Livi at Cappielow.

Is there something happening with Jacobs? Signed PCA and contract up end of May but no official confirmation yet?

Scenes when he signs for F**kirk

I think the players that we're signing seem roughly in line with what we've said about the budget. 

Considering that we lost ten players: Kilday, Tidser, Buchanan, Telfer, Iredale, Gaston, Johnstone, Thomson, Oliver, and McKeown. Plus the four loan players. 

That's 14 players. We've promoted Pearson and Strapp. If you include Jacobs we've only signed 7 players so far. Essentially we're still 7 players (3 + 4 loans) behind what we had last season in terms of budget. 

The players that we've signed are roughly in line with what you would expect. Muirhead failed to shine at Dunfermline, Nesbitt failed to shine at DU (although he didn't get much of a chance), Cadden failed to really shine at Ayr, Jacobs was decent at QotS, Orsi was released by Brechin, and the other two are young players from non-league in England. I'm excited by the prospect of Muirhead and Nesbitt getting their careers back on track, and Cadden and Jacobs providing the type of energy that Hoppy will be looking for, but it doesn't strike me as anything like replacing some of the big earners that we've lost (some of them would have been on very decent money). We also know that McHugh has re-signed on reduced terms. 

We're doing the right thing in signing some good young players that need to get their careers back on track and some players with high energy levels to compliment the experience we have already, but it seems clear that we're on course to having a substantial reduction on last season's playing budget. 

We also seem to be trying to save money on facilities and seem to have combined the assistant manager and fitness coach jobs (unless I'm mistaken). 

We also seem to be trying to save money on facilities and seem to have combined the assistant manager and fitness coach jobs (unless I'm mistaken). 

Aye that's a pretty fair summary SpoonTon, although i'm not sure it will be as substantial as we thought once the squad is complete. He is still looking for another 4-5 signings.

Btw, it was 5 loans we had last season- McCrorie, Waddell, Kiltie, Dallas and O'Connell.

Aye that's a pretty fair summary SpoonTon, although i'm not sure it will be as substantial as we thought once the squad is complete. He is still looking for another 4-5 signings.

Btw, it was 5 loans we had last season- McCrorie, Waddell, Kiltie no, Dallas and O'Connell.

Of which Dallas and O'Connell did nothing.

Btw, it was 5 loans we had last season- McCrorie, Waddell, Kiltie, Dallas and O'Connell.

Give it a rest Madton.

I had a feeling it was 5, but don't think I ever managed to remember Dallas and O'Connell in the same count.  

It's impossible to know, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if at least a quarter of the budget has been cut (I probably wouldn't be surprised if it has been cut by a third). 

And Maclean.

Tiffoney as well. We also had Bell, Scully, and Kyle Thomson signed on for the first half of the season. But I was counting them as already replaced in the budget in January. 

No rumours on the identity of any of the 6 defenders that are apparently training with us at the moment? A little disappointed that we've not had any pre-season training updates so far. Other clubs have been posting clips from training, interviews with management/new signings, pictures etc. We've had nothing.

No rumours on the identity of any of the 6 defenders that are apparently training with us at the moment? A little disappointed that we've not had any pre-season training updates so far. Other clubs have been posting clips from training, interviews with management/new signings, pictures etc. We've had nothing.

I'd like to have heard more from the new CEO. Seems to have fell off the radar.

You seem surprised

I'd have thought one of the first things he wanted to do was get the backing of the fans when it's pretty well known there was a lot of people who had really strong feelings about Hawke. A few early statements might have drawn a line under that for the sake of 5 minutes out his day.

I'd have thought one of the first things he wanted to do was get the backing of the fans when it's pretty well known there was a lot of people who had really strong feelings about Hawke. A few early statements might have drawn a line under that for the sake of 5 minutes out his day.

Agreed. Given the way last season panned out and the breakdown in trust between Hawke (and to a degree Rae too) and the fans and the mixed messages we're getting - we're skint, but here's a new dugout - then I think it's really poor that we haven't heard a peep from McKinnon. It wouldn't have taken him very long at all to have released some sort of statement when he came in and then a couple of other updates once he was settled in and had a chance to take stock.

As always, they're quick enough to get the begging bowl out when they need to and treating the punters with not-very-thinly veiled contempt the rest of the time. It's as if the supporters are an inconvenience.

AWMSC

Reese Lyon’s talking about pre-season in today’s Tele. As for discussing potential signings while they’re still on trial, that brings back painful memories of the big striker we lost to Dundee (maybe not that painful as I don’t remember his name). We were releasing statements about how great this player looked and Dundee just stepped in and snatched him away!

Archived