Fan Ownership - Morton Club Together - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fan Ownership - Morton Club Together

TheGoon

Your're an idiot :lol:

I'm talking about the pool of people with an interest in Morton, not specific numbers so yes it is actually.

The pool of people with an interest in Morton isn't limited to those attending games on match days. There are literally hoards of folk living abroad, outwith the town, with somewhat of an interest in Morton, friends of family who support Morton etc etc. 

This isn't exclusively going to be bought into by those who go to Cappielow. 

Edit, and even if it was restricted to that, it would still be made achievable by bigger donations. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pool of people with an interest in Morton isn't limited to those attending games on match days. There are literally hoards of folk living abroad, outwith the town, with somewhat of an interest in Morton, friends of family who support Morton etc etc.

Especially given Greenock's really high-rate of migration away from the town. I have met more Morton fans in the North-East than I could ever have imagined. It's an easy way for people who can't go to Cappielow to meaningfully invest in the club they care about from the comfort of their sofas around the world.

Edit, and even if it was restricted to that, it would still be made achievable by bigger donations.

There has been a bit written recently about a Chinese sports commentator who, with no previous attachment, has invested in Motherwell and a US sports team (can’t remember which, or even which sport) only because he is so enthused by the idea of fan ownership as a principle.

Aye, I think if the right package was on offer, there'd be a lot of people interested beyond the core attendance at Cappielow.

Whether this is the right package remains to be seen, but it's not an inherently flawed concept. 

AWMSC

Of course it isn't limited to match attendees, I never claimed that the 1667 was in any way representative of the number of backers the pledge will get. Its just a useful simplification to look at to gauge the level of engagement something like this might need to pull off. Especially in comparison to others that have tried.

And for me £400,000 is ambitious in 24 months for a fanbase of our size when apathy levels are at the highest they've been in 20 years

Of course it isn't limited to match attendees, I never claimed that the 1667 was in any way representative of the number of backers the pledge will get. Its just a useful simplification to look at to gauge the level of engagement something like this might need to pull off. Especially in comparison to others that have tried.

And for me £400,000 is ambitious in 24 months for a fanbase of our size when apathy levels are at the highest they've been in 20 years

That's still a number of people based on £10 each per month. There's a tier system for pledging, then a donation section with a ceiling of 100k. 

It's not as black and white as needing 1600 odd folk. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Is there ever going to be the pitch perfect proposal though? I'm very much in the 'back it and let's see how it develops' camp. I'm sure there's plenty things to iron out in what is undoubtedly a complex subject. Will never be right first time.

This is why I'm quite comfortable with the pledge approach and refining things later based on feedback through that.

Not only does it give backup to what the club will be asked to formally agree, but it helps identify and mitigate future risks by getting more input.

Splitting 1000 donators 3 ways using £20/£15/£10 takes you close to 400k. A full 600 people less than what you suggest. Add to that any donations of significance.

Not so far fetched IMO.

He's a fud.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

One question though, what's to stop this just being an easy 400k for the Rae family? Surely shouldn't be lining anyone's pockets other than Morton as a club

Surely, the democratic aspect of the scheme will kick into okay before they handover our dough

That's still a number of people based on £10 each per month. There's a tier system for pledging, then a donation section with a ceiling of 100k. 

It's not as black and white as needing 1600 odd folk. 

FOR FUCK SAKE :lol:

I fucking know that, I never said it was. I'm well aware of how the system works. :lol:

For the last time; I don't think there will be exactly 1667 backers. I don't think there needs to be exactly 1667 backers pledgin £10. I don't think that the backers can only come from a maximum total of 1667 people. I don't think there are only 1667 people with an interest in Morton. I don't think £400,000 is ambitious because I wrongly think it would require precisely 1667 Morton fans to pledge a tenner a month. 1667 is just a simple breakdown of the figure of £400,000 based on a 1 person = 1 pledge concept. It isn't representative of anything.

It's an ambitious figure for 24 months whether it came from 1 fan, 1667 fans or 6151 fans. 

FOR **** SAKE :lol:

I ****ing know that, I never said it was. I'm well aware of how the system works. :lol:

For the last time; I don't think there will be exactly 1667 backers. I don't think there needs to be exactly 1667 backers pledgin £10. I don't think that the backers can only come from a maximum total of 1667 people. I don't think there are only 1667 people with an interest in Morton. I don't think £400,000 is ambitious because I wrongly think it would require precisely 1667 Morton fans to pledge a tenner a month. 1667 is just a simple breakdown of the figure of £400,000 based on a 1 person = 1 pledge concept. It isn't representative of anything.

It's an ambitious figure for 24 months whether it came from 1 fan, 1667 fans or 6151 fans. 

^^ thinks that it needs exactly 1667 fans backing it. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

One question though, what's to stop this just being an easy 400k for the Rae family? Surely shouldn't be lining anyone's pockets other than Morton as a club

They've said they won't be propping up losses so they aren't putting anything in anyway and one of the things that's clear here is that the money is to be put into Morton so it's not really a purchase of shares or handing over money.

I think it's a good idea. 15% would make a fans group a strong shareholder with Dougie's shares being separated. The amount needed is big but it's achievable if some larger investors and local businessmen get involved to pledge larger amounts.

However the website is poor and I'm not sure if my pledge is going through or not.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Despite my reservations as its only at the pledge stage I'm willing to pledge to pay monthly and see where it goes.

Well once the website starts working I will anyway.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If we can donate 100k in the next fortnight we may be able to keep Tidser.

Was just thinking the same :lol:

Get Tidser's contract sewn up and watch MCT raise £millions

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived