Who now? - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who now?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have loved to have the luxury of having a look at someone like Jamie McDonaugh at Edinburgh City but, with all the turbulence at the club, Hoppy seems the best option.

Having Dobbie has certainly helped Queen of the South’s charge to the play offs.

Maybe not the best example, but were not going to get a 20+ goals a season striker on the cheap.

Also,

QotS did make the playoffs, they could have been in a much worse state if they didn't have Dobbie's contribution. :rolleyes:

*insert signature here*

Does Denny not fit into that category? Suspect he was one of the higher earners and expected to lead us to the playoffs.

As for The Sun. Did DH not chuck it at Bradford? Does finishing 5th suggest we massively underperformed this season?

I'd imagine that Denny would be a high earner along with Millar and McAllister, I don't expect us to be able to afford players of that level going forward. I reckon next season will be like the Kenny Shiels relegation season.

*insert signature here*

Cheap squad, but was the manager cheap? I was thinking Livingston as the example of what a relatively cheap squad can achieve with competent management worth paying the wage for.

Competent manager, yes. But unlikely have had a big contract, they had their own version of cost cutting across the board happening.

Crawford said other investors had an input into the decision to bag JJ.

Maybe Hoppy told him to get rid and make him manager then.

If it is to be Hopkin, we should probably act fast. Dundee, Falkirk, QOS, Dunfermline all likely to have him on their shortlist.

Surely the BBC article is just a badly worded explanation of the situation with Dougie Rae’s former shareholding now spread across multiple investors who no longer all favour financial support for the club, rather than being intended to mean there’s been new investors from outwith the family? I think too much is being read into that article.

If the genuine truth is that JJ and Houston were to be bagged as cost cutting measures then that can hardly mean a new manager will be employed on similar terms? If it’s a cost cutting scenario it can surely only mean something like a player manager and assistant? Or else there’s no truth to the cost cutting explanation.

Surely the BBC article is just a badly worded explanation of the situation with Dougie Rae’s former shareholding now spread across multiple investors who no longer all favour financial support for the club, rather than being intended to mean there’s been new investors from outwith the family? I think too much is being read into that article.

If the genuine truth is that JJ and Houston were to be bagged as cost cutting measures then that can hardly mean a new manager will be employed on similar terms? If it’s a cost cutting scenario it can surely only mean something like a player manager and assistant? Or else there’s no truth to the cost cutting explanation.

I can think that either it means that we're saving money because another investor is going to fund the manager's salary, or others investors at Golden Casket have told Crawford to find a cheaper way to hire a manager (like a player/manager, as you say).

I'm really not a fan of the player/manager model, although if the club are going to cheapskate it then that could be the route they choose to go down. 

I hope, given that Rae had already made up his mind about Johansson's future, a shortlist has already been drawn up and we can move quickly. If we are cutting the budget then there's more pressure upon getting a squad built early and getting more time to gel them together on the training pitch as quickly as possible. We can then look for additional loan signings to plug the gaps after that. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Crawford’s comment about new investors having their say definitely suggests Hopkin is in the fray. Of the other names that’ll get linked I wouldn’t be opposed to Hartley tbh. There’s enough on his CV for him to get one more job at this level.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I find it very hard to believe that Douglas Rae’s extended family members are going through the club’s books and are specifically telling Crawford to empty the manager as a result. The simplest explanation is the most likely one here - new investors want in on the condition of getting their man in the dugout; GC also wants this to happen and so the management team were leaving regardless.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

...is there? He’s better than some of the idiots we’ll be linked with but I’m not sure how I’d feel about appointing him.

He can point to a good job at Alloa as well as Dundee in his first two seasons - more than anyone else has got out of that basketcase outfit for years. The blame for Falkirk’s demise is now spreading beyond his piss-poor job at the start of the season as well.

He’s not a candidate that I’m enthusiastic about but we’re potentially looking for a placeholder right now until the club changes hands. If it’s a buffoon like John Hughes instead then we’ll end up in the seaside leagues soon enough.

He can point to a good job at Alloa as well as Dundee in his first two seasons - more than anyone else has got out of that basketcase outfit for years. The blame for Falkirk’s demise is now spreading beyond his piss-poor job at the start of the season as well.

He’s not a candidate that I’m enthusiastic about but we’re potentially looking for a placeholder right now until the club changes hands. If it’s a buffoon like John Hughes instead then we’ll end up in the seaside leagues soon enough.

People also forget the recovery job during his first season at Falkirk after Houston was emptied was also exemplary. Ruthlessly binned the wasters, built a new team in January and had Championship winning form to secure their safety (just like Jack Ross did at St Mirren and King Snake could only dream about).

Big mistake was ripping it up last summer to implement a new recruitment philosophy that bombed and not building on it like St Mirren did to go on to win the title.

A leftfield suggestion - Thomas Stickroth.

He was assistant manager of Ingolstadt 04 until recently. Perhaps he could be the guy to flood our team with loads of German lower league players, as well as Polish, Czech and Hungarian players who could do a good job at our level.

*insert signature here*

Archived