ton v inverness - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

ton v inverness

beetee

The implication (read: already confirmed plan) of staying up is ‘trying to have enough about us to avoid relegation next season’, with TTGJ and Dylan Dykes leading that charge to 8th placed sustainability. Which of course means a campaign that would make the 13/14 relegation season look dignified by comparison.

I don’t see why the fans should give a toss then if Iron Man’s beloved sustainability agenda goes up in flames or not. There’s absolutely nothing to recommend it to the people who actually pay to watch this turgid drivel every week and those in charge of the club right now deserve everything they get.

your funny lol

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The implication (read: already confirmed plan) of staying up is ‘trying to have enough about us to avoid relegation next season’, with TTGJ and Dylan Dykes leading that charge to 8th placed sustainability. Which of course means a campaign that would make the 13/14 relegation season look dignified by comparison.

I don’t see why the fans should give a toss then if Iron Man’s beloved sustainability agenda goes up in flames or not. There’s absolutely nothing to recommend it to the people who actually pay to watch this turgid drivel every week and those in charge of the club right now deserve everything they get.

Still safe aye? Ya fucking moron.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Basic goalkeeping stats can often be misleading, but the very basic stats go along with my impression of the season so far - we're stronger with Gaston in goals. 

McCrorie:

11 starts, 0.72 points per game, 1.27 goals conceded per game.

Scully:

11 starts, 1.18 points per game, 1.73 goals conceded per game.

Gaston:

10 starts, 1.50 points per game, 1.1 goals conceded per game. 

Gaston's distribution had improved this season, so had the command of his box (he had an excellent, commanding performance against Ross County in his last match). It hasn't been flawless, but he has had the best influence on the team of the three 'keepers this season IMO. I'm not at all saying that the stats prove it, but I'm not surprised by them. I think he should be back in goals for this one. 

It's hard to judge goalkeepers based on goals preceded per game when the defence in front of them find hilarious new ways to concede goals every week.

McCrorie hasn't hit the standards recently that he did in his first few games, but I wouldn't say in games I've seen him at home that he's been so bad that he deserves to be dropped, although I can't speak for away games.

I'm a Gaston fan but he has his faults just like any other keeper at this level. I'd be happy enough with either of them in goal for us, but for me that position is the least of our worries.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

It's hard to judge goalkeepers based on goals preceded per game when the defence in front of them find hilarious new ways to concede goals every week.

McCrorie hasn't hit the standards recently that he did in his first few games, but I wouldn't say in games I've seen him at home that he's been so bad that he deserves to be dropped, although I can't speak for away games.

I'm a Gaston fan but he has his faults just like any other keeper at this level. I'd be happy enough with either of them in goal for us, but for me that position is the least of our worries.

McCrorie was at fault for Alloa's first goal. I wouldn't say it was enough alone to see him dropped, but he hasn't filled me with confidence recently. He's a good, young 'keeper but I'm worried about the direction of his form.

Gaston's experience could help us here, I think he's had the most effective influence on the players in front of him (especially considering we lack a decent leader in defence). I'd like to see him play behind a back 4 of Tumilty-Kilday-Buchanan-McKeown for this one.

McCrorie was at fault for Alloa's first goal. I wouldn't say it was enough alone to see him dropped, but he hasn't filled me with confidence recently. He's a good, young 'keeper but I'm worried about the direction of his form.

Gaston's experience could help us here, I think he's had the most effective influence on the players in front of him (especially considering we lack a decent leader in defence). I'd like to see him play behind a back 4 of Tumilty-Kilday-Buchanan-McKeown for this one.

One mistaken and dropped seems harsh.

Let's not forget the multiple periods during Gaston's time here when he was chucking them in.

Don't see the worth in changing the goalkeeper at this stage, possibly even putting more pressure on a struggling backline.

Changing the system and the approach to games (in lieu of binning the impostor in the dugout) would be more beneficial.

I agree. It's not so much about the quality of the player, it's about having a bit of leadership in the team.

One mistaken and dropped seems harsh.

Let's not forget the multiple periods during Gaston's time here when he was chucking them in.

Don't see the worth in changing the goalkeeper at this stage, possibly even putting more pressure on a struggling backline.

Changing the system and the approach to games (in lieu of binning the impostor in the dugout) would be more beneficial.

Gaston was dropped on the back of an injury. He had been playing well. I thought that was a bit harsh as well. I do agree that it would be harsh to drop McCrorie, but I think Gaston is the best option right now (based on form this season and what I think he brings to the side overall). I've seen very little to make me think that McCrorie works well with this defence. I've seen more from Gaston in that regard this season. I think his influence would be positive at this stage.

...cue Gaston starting and dropping one into his own net.

McCrorie hasn't been that great. All we're doing is helping another club develop one of their mediocre players, we shouldn't be dropping our own for somebody who hasn't proven themselves.

In 4 games time, Gaston might not (and probably should not) be one of our own either.

In 4 games time, Gaston might not (and probably should not) be one of our own either.

Maybe not, but we've dropped a guy who had been playing well for some wee boy from Rangers that isn't really doing so. We're not really gaining from this picture, and I'll be buggered if I'm happy about the idea of doing that lot any favours.

It seems to me that the only reason Johansson signed McCrorie was because he was desperate and just took whatever he was offered. 

AWMSC

Maybe not, but we've dropped a guy who had been playing well for some wee boy from Rangers that isn't really doing so. We're not really gaining from this picture, and I'll be buggered if I'm happy about the idea of doing that lot any favours.

It seems to me that the only reason Johansson signed McCrorie was because he was desperate and just took whatever he was offered.

Why would he be 'desperate' when we didn't need one? Johannson is an imbecile, but he clearly went and got McCrorie because he didn't rate Gaston rather than as some desperate need for a signing.

You do seem a little more angry about who the parent club is rather than the quality of the keepers?

Still safe aye? Ya ****ing moron.

Even in a worst case scenario from here it could only go the way of your 'let's patch the cup competitions to focus on our promotion challenge' argument. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Basic goalkeeping stats can often be misleading, but the very basic stats go along with my impression of the season so far - we're stronger with Gaston in goals. 

No they don't, because by far the most significant factor shaping both stats that you have cited is the clear and progressive decline of the team as a whole under the Finnish dud's management. That Gaston was predominantly in goal towards the beginning of his reign and McCrorie towards (with any hope) the end explains the difference far more than your revisionist account of Gaston as some sort of commanding, Alan Main figure between the sticks. If that were the case then we really wouldn't have brought in five different goalkeepers in the last fifteen months. 

This is just a goalkeeper version of the Stephen Stirling Syndrome, where every week of his (many) absences saw him turned into a critical, Pirlo-esque figure in the team. Until he actually got a game again and turned out to be rubbish again. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

No they don't, because by far the most significant factor shaping both stats that you have cited is the clear and progressive decline of the team as a whole under the Finnish dud's management. That Gaston was predominantly in goal towards the beginning of his reign and McCrorie towards (with any hope) the end explains the difference far more than your revisionist account of Gaston as some sort of commanding, Alan Main figure between the sticks. If that were the case then we really wouldn't have brought in five different goalkeepers in the last fifteen months. 

This is just a goalkeeper version of the Stephen Stirling Syndrome, where every week of his (many) absences saw him turned into a critical, Pirlo-esque figure in the team. Until he actually got a game again and turned out to be rubbish again. 

You have a funny way of reading things.

I said after the Ross County game that Gaston was excellent. It's not a revisionist account, it was always my opinion. http://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43700&p=1107417

I made it very clear that my stats were not proving anything, and could be entirely misleading, but simply that they went along with my impression of the influence of the goalkeepers on the team. There are absolutely other factors in this, but my impression throughout the season is that Gaston helped stabilise things (not without hiccups) after replacing Scully. I thought Gaston, on the whole, was performing well and had improved this season. McCrorie has done alright as well, he's got some very good qualities, but I'm not convinced about certain aspects of his game right now (distribution, leadership, and decision making - the kind of qualities that he's here to work on). I agree that part of the stats are showing our downward trend under JJ, I also think they reflect some of the injuries we've had recently (including Tidser). My instinct is that a small part  of it (and I would emphasise small) is down to Gaston having the most stabilising effect on the defence out of the three 'keepers this season. 

I didn't say that Gaston was an Alan Main type figure. You're stretching what I'm saying to try to dismiss what I'm saying, but I have said nothing like that. That's not exactly an effective way of backing up your point. The comparison is between Gaston (a decent middle of the road Championship goalkeeper) and McCrorie (a young 'keeper with plenty of potential but I think has shown his inexperience). Neil Alexander, for example, had a real influence on the Livingston defence last season - Gaston is not capable of that level of performance. I'm not talking about that level of experience or quality, I'm talking about Gaston and McCrorie. 

I refuse to believe that Ross Stewart is actually a football player. No wonder County struggled in the final third tonight. Not sure how he got off with his assault on Gaston (who was excellent).

The comparison is between Gaston (a decent middle of the road Championship goalkeeper) and McCrorie (a young 'keeper with plenty of potential but I think has shown his inexperience).

That's a false comparison though. You're simply trying to pin the relatively few errors that McCrorie has made on 'inexperience' to justify choosing 'experience' between the sticks instead. Derek Gaston is indeed an experienced goalkeeper; Ryan Scully was also an experienced goalkeeper when he joined the club. Both of them have made more and indeed far more inexplicable errors in a Morton jersey than McCrorie though.

Instead of highlighting his age or number of senior appearances as if it's a big deal, let's judge our goalkeepers equally on their respective merits. McCrorie is already better than a 'decent middle of the road Championship goalkeeper' - better for example than that absolute flapping mess Doohan who is being touted as the division's best keeper at Ayr - and isn't in poor form either. So there's no reason to drop him out for a poorer goalkeeper overall in Gaston, unless his form changes - and certainly not on the grounds of 'experience'. 

That's a false comparison though. You're simply trying to pin the relatively few errors that McCrorie has made on 'inexperience' to justify choosing 'experience' between the sticks instead. Derek Gaston is indeed an experienced goalkeeper; Ryan Scully was also an experienced goalkeeper when he joined the club. Both of them have made more and indeed far more inexplicable errors in a Morton jersey than McCrorie though.

Instead of highlighting his age or number of senior appearances as if it's a big deal, let's judge our goalkeepers equally on their respective merits. McCrorie is already better than a 'decent middle of the road Championship goalkeeper' - better for example than that absolute flapping mess Doohan who is being touted as the division's best keeper at Ayr - and isn't in poor form either. So there's no reason to drop him out for a poorer goalkeeper overall in Gaston, unless his form changes - and certainly not on the grounds of 'experience'. 

I also said I think Gaston's performances have given the most to the team overall this season. That's my opinion. Experience is important, but I'm certainly not pinning my opinion on an abstract idea of experience. I think Gaston has been better at certain aspects of goalkeeping than McCrorie this season, aspects that are honed through experience, and think he is the better option for the remaining games. I'm fine with you disagreeing with my opinion. 

Archived