Fan Ownership - Morton Club Together - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fan Ownership - Morton Club Together

TheGoon

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://mortonclubtogether.com/QuestionAndAnswer.html

A few questions answered there.

This is just at a pledging stage to guage interest and there's clearly been engagement with the board so if it looks like it's got a lot of interest then that's when they club can start to give more concrete assurances, governance processes can be put in place, etc and the next stage can begin.

So what’s the purpose of the supporters trust? I am a bit lost. I thought they held a stake in the club?

Are we saying the club is valued over 2.5million? Or around the figure the debt is sitting at?

So what’s the purpose of the supporters trust? I am a bit lost. I thought they held a stake in the club?

Are we saying the club is valued over 2.5million? Or around the figure the debt is sitting at?

The supporters trust isn't to provide some sort of fan ownership model. It has shares after how things all started but that's not the objectives (see below). I think the Record have made a typo and its 25% with MCT as per the website so that's around 30% between that and GMST which is a significant amount.

Listed key objectives:

To strengthen the bonds between Greenock Morton Football Club and the local community in Inverclyde and the surrounding area and to represent the interests of the local community in the running of Greenock Morton Football Club;

To benefit present and future members of the community in Inverclyde and the surrounding area by promoting, encouraging and furthering the game of football as a recreational facility, sporting activity and focus for community involvement;

To provide and maintain facilities for the enjoyment of professional football;

To promote coaching schemes to develop the skills of young people and to widen interest in football regardless of the gender, race, colour or religion or those involved.

God help us is am I can say.

Can you imagine a board meeting if some of the residents on here are appointed to said board.

I don’t see fans stumping up the cash as, untypical

Morton style, we implemented a trust many years ago and made a mess of it and communicated very little.

Good idea in theory but you would really need someone to stump up the cash in a st Mirren esc way and I just don’t see it.

While outright fan ownership can lead to that in some cases, it’s a common misconception that that’s necessarily what it means. It doesn’t have to lead to just appointing a group of volunteer fans wth no expertise to the board and every other position in the club.

A supporters group with a significant shareholding could have the right to appoint/remove people from the board, but that doesn’t have to stop them appointing people with expertise in various areas who aren’t necessarily fans of the club, with those people then making decisions. It shouldn’t give fans a veto over appointments, signings, budgets etc.

That’s not to say I’m in favour of any proposal. I’m interested to see the details of this but generally increasing fan involvement comes on the back of years of work by well-established supporters groups and for various reasons the Morton support just hasn’t been that organised, and it’s a big leap to jump straight from that into raising money to take a significant stake in the club, even when that’s not close to a controlling stake.

It could be the catalyst to start getting organised and move on from some of the nonsense of the last decade around the Trust, but let’s see the details before getting carried away.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The idea of paying £10 a month as a way to help Morton isn't something I'm totally against, however maybe it's just me but I find this whole proposal thoroughly unexciting.

I don't believe there is enough fans currently out there willing to pay the money needed when we can barely get 1500 to even attend games and I from reading about it, unless I've missed it there's no real long term strategy involved other than wait and see.

I admire fans trying to do something different and I wish you luck, but I just don't see me getting a return on my investment, so for that reason...

k3574i.gif

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The idea of paying £10 a month as a way to help Morton isn't something I'm totally against, however maybe it's just me but I find this whole proposal thoroughly unexciting.

I don't believe there is enough fans currently out there willing to pay the money needed when we can barely get 1500 to even attend games and I from reading about it, unless I've missed it there's no real long term strategy involved other than wait and see.

I admire fans trying to do something different and I wish you luck, but I just don't see me getting a return on my investment, so for that reason...

k3574i.gif

I would agree with you.

I hope it works out but we have all been here before and nothing happened bar a lack of communication and it disappearing into the night.

The cost to buy the club is laughable and when do they hope to have a majority stake?

Now if there was plans to build a mono-rail in Greenock with monthly payments from the community then you'd have my full attention.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I would agree with you.

I hope it works out but we have all been here before and nothing happened bar a lack of communication and it disappearing into the night.

The cost to buy the club is laughable and when do they hope to have a majority stake?

When have we been here before? It's an opportunity to have enough shareholding to hold the board to account while wiping out debt to make the whole club more appealing to other investors.

Rae has said he'd wipe the debt in the event of a takeover which obviously isn't forthcoming so if this happens and the 400k is going directly into the club it's a win win.

As I mentioned earlier, it's at a pledge stage and there's still work to be done but there's far more positives than negatives.

If the initiative was to be a success and approached the club with £400k, they would have the power to demand a bigger share just like any other investor would.

Crawford is clearly trying to raise the value of Morton in the public eye, but if it came down to it, there’s no way the club is worth £3million+ so I would take his percentage with a pinch of salt.

Not a chance we'll get 1500 punters to invest. For that reason a tiered investment option should be available for those who can and wish to invest more, plugging the shortfall in numbers that there'll inevitably be.

As far as im aware this is the case. Also be looking to business folk to donate large sums too

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Not a chance we'll get 1500 punters to invest. For that reason a tiered investment option should be available for those who can and wish to invest more, plugging the shortfall in numbers that there'll inevitably be.

There is tiered investment available

Archived