Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

One thing Millar and Tidser have in common is that they never had pace to begin with, therefore it won’t disadvantage them as they get older, however IMO neither of them could play wing-back, especially Tids. Jim McAlister on the other hand was best suited to wing back in his first spell as he was our fastest, fittest player with a great engine. If I remember correctly he was always top of the fitness ratings when they took the readings. Conversely he could lose some of that pace and fitness as he gets older, though hopefully he could still do a good job at wing back. I think Millar could do a good job alongside Jacobs, building the play with Tids further forward.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I am taking Hopkin as not being a fucking moron who wouldn't offer what you have described which would be an embarrassingly low offer worthy of on the spot refusal rather than a token 'will let you know' based on the fact he would know their current contract.

It's knicker wetting to think we will have the gall to bother putting an offer in front of someone on half wages or whatever would lead to instant refusal.

Unless they have other better offers already secured, the token 'will let you know' would likely apply because they don't know what else they can get.

Yes, some we might not have offered to because we didn't want to pay the going rate for them any more so binned them for budgetary reasons rather than footballing reasons but regardless, it doesn't matter how or why they went, the most important think is they have and none are worth crying over anyway.

So... it would seem that’s exactly what happened. With Oliver at least. Was offered a much lower figure than last year and refused it without having somewhere else to go.

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/17661005.oliver-offer-from-morton-wasnt-acceptable/

Would be very surprised if Oliver ends up at a full-time club other than Ayr Utd maybe. Can understand he's disappointed with what's on offer, but he has to remember he's not hit the level he could've been at over the past 18 months or so, and that clubs in our league are also making cuts. A player that I liked with a lot of potential but never really showed enough. No loss. 

So... it would seem that’s exactly what happened. With Oliver at least. Was offered a much lower figure than last year and refused it without having somewhere else to go.

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/17661005.oliver-offer-from-morton-wasnt-acceptable/

We don't know what 'much lower' means in Oliver's case and he is still moronic to reject it out of hand in a wooly 'I can probably get better elsewhere' belief with no consideration that the landscape is changing.

Good luck to him with that though.

Millar played at wing back more than any other position under McCormack, and occasionally appeared there under McInally, for example against Kilmarnock when he was out there to negate Steven Naismith who was playing on the wing at the time, and completely marked him out the game.

The aforementioned Alloa game was definitely Craig Mackay refereeing. Bannerman was sent off for an off the ball incident no one else in the ground saw, they went 2-0 up, we came back to lead 3-2 then in stoppage time Robbie Henderson chested the ball out for a corner. The linesman who was 10 yards away and had a clear view signalled for a corner, Mackay who was about 30 yards away toward the halfway line and didn’t have a clear view because Henderson had his back to him immediately gave a penalty. An absolute cunt of a human being.

I was actually going to say that you could probably clear it up, pretty sure we've spoken about this before.

AWMSC

We don't know what 'much lower' means in Oliver's case and he is still moronic to reject it out of hand in a wooly 'I can probably get better elsewhere' belief with no consideration that the landscape is changing.

Good luck to him with that though.

Unless it is so low that he could get more working at Tesco. Maybe he will rock up to Dumbarton with his uncle and get a job on the railway too... Will almost definitely earn more than what we offered

My main concern is that Hopkin does actually want to keep these players and we genuinely cant afford them. I kind of agree that it's a strange tactic to offer these guys contracts hoping they say no. I suppose we'll know for sure once the calibre of any new signings becomes clear.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Would we not be due a fee for strapp if he left because we offered him a deal or did we offer him it too late?

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Would we not be due a fee for strapp if he left because we offered him a deal or did we offer him it too late?

Going by Hawke’s ‘administrate errors’ previously, I doubt it.

Yeah, if any youth players are likely to be ready then Strapp is the obvious candidate. You’d far rather have a 19 year old coming into the team with two seasons of first team experience through loan spells that you’d assume have toughened him up physically than launching someone that age in with no experience, particularly in defence.

Saying it would be unimpressive because he’s been around for a couple of years and not established himself in our first team seems to miss the point of the loan system. It’s a much better route to testing and establishing a player than launching someone straight into first team games out the blue the way we did with someone like Langan.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

See Robert Thomson greeting that he had to pay for half of his operation at the end of this season and that was one reason why he never stayed with us. Why the **** should we pay the full cost for an operation for a guy who has done heehaw for us in the past 2 years? What if we’d paid it in full, he rejects our contract offer and signs elsewhere? Glad we’re rid of him. Dud.

Archived