Palladium Ballroom, Greenock (Now Riley's) - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Palladium Ballroom, Greenock (Now Riley's)

TRVMP

This is a long shot but I'm reading a biography of Keith Moon and there's mention that The Who played Greenock in the mid 1960s. There's a little story where he gave some high-cost cymbals to Jack McCulloch (brother of Paul McCartney and Pete Townshend collaborator Jimmy) simply because Jack, who was drumming with the support act (The Jagyars), mentioned in passing that he wanted to upgrade soon.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here was at that gig, their memories of it etc.

EOho8Pw.png

Did showadywady play at Greenock or talk about it at one stage back in the seventies.

Nobody cares. Get off my thread.

Saw them first at the Apollo in 1975. Wasn't aware they played in Greenock (although I would probably have been far too young) Foobs will know I expect.

Seemingly they played everywhere. They had an almost cartoonishly grueling schedule early in their career, playing 6-7 nights a week not for the duration of a tour but simply nonstop. Hence all of them except Roger Daltrey were constantly on uppers.

EOho8Pw.png

Cheers - the biography wasn't entirely clear on the time but 1965 makes sense. It's amazing how little they actually recorded around this time - they made their name as a live act (bolstered by I Can't Explain, released in January of that year.) Fascinating band.

EOho8Pw.png

Nobody cares. Get off my thread.

Seemingly they played everywhere. They had an almost cartoonishly grueling schedule early in their career, playing 6-7 nights a week not for the duration of a tour but simply nonstop. Hence all of them except Roger Daltrey were constantly on uppers.

Eh let me think.............NAW

I wasn't a big fan of the who to be honest although do like a few of there tracks. What other major groups has anyone enjoyed seeing or regretted not seeing. My biggest regret was not seeing Queen.

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

Eh let me think.............NAW

I wasn't a big fan of the who to be honest although do like a few of there tracks. What other major groups has anyone enjoyed seeing or regretted not seeing. My biggest regret was not seeing Queen.

FTQ

Cheers - the biography wasn't entirely clear on the time but 1965 makes sense. It's amazing how little they actually recorded around this time - they made their name as a live act (bolstered by I Can't Explain, released in January of that year.) Fascinating band.

From what I can see, the 'I Can't Explain' tour was from January to April of '65. From May it changed to the 'Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere' tour.

Fascinating stuff, the amount of dates the played around that time was incredible. Wikipedia has some great pages of their early tours, year by year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_Tour_1965 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

This is my first Who biography but judging from this one, calling it a tour is slightly misleading. It was simply their gigging schedule grafted over the entire country, as opposed to a small portion of north and west London. 

That page doesn't have Greenock listed, incidentally. It has an unconfirmed show in Perth on May 5th instead. I suspect that a lot of the received wisdom around these dates and locations is wrong. I'm heavily into the Beach Boys and to this present day people are still busting myths and errors around their recording and touring schedule.

EOho8Pw.png

Guest David Edwards

I was there, circa April / May 1965 IIRC. Was never a fan of them but went along with some schoolmates who were. From memory again, there was a mini-riot when a few of the audience members seemed to raise objections to the band smashing up their instruments. Some invaded the stage - Townsend and Daltrey retreated - but Moon carried on regardless, true to his form.

I was there, circa April / May 1965 IIRC. Was never a fan of them but went along with some schoolmates who were. From memory again, there was a mini-riot when a few of the audience members seemed to raise objections to the band smashing up their instruments. Some invaded the stage - Townsend and Daltrey retreated - but Moon carried on regardless, true to his form.

Cheers - sounds very true to form. If you can find the exact date I'd appreciate it, if you happen to be in touch with anyone from around then.

EOho8Pw.png

Cheers - sounds very true to form. If you can find the exact date I'd appreciate it, if you happen to be in touch with anyone from around then.

I've a Who biography that has the date, will see if I can find it tonight or tomorrow. LT's 8th May rings a bell though.

AWMSC

It was 4th May 1965, taken from this: https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Who-Johnny-Black/dp/1842223070

My copy is a 305 page hard-back which has sat in a crate with a load of other books for probably at least a decade, and when I opened it (and I swear this is true) it was straight to the page containing that date, printed right at the place I was looking. Spooky.

AWMSC

It was 4th May 1965, taken from this: https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Who-Johnny-Black/dp/1842223070

My copy is a 305 page hard-back which has sat in a crate with a load of other books for probably at least a decade, and when I opened, (and I swear this is true) it was straight containing that date, printed right at the place I was looking. Spooky.

To be fair, if it was written by Johnny Black it's probably a pack of lies.

Just sayin' like.  :)

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

To be fair, if it was written by Johnny Black it's probably a pack of lies.

Just sayin' like. :)

Aye, unlike the great oracle of truth whom you seem to worship. :lol:

Are you going to the cup semi-Final?

Edited to add: have a red dot, groomee.

*insert signature here*

Why don't you post a picture of him and his partner or his house to support your point pathetic excuse for a human being? And you have the audacity call to him a liar? Sheesh.  :rolleyes:

Calm down wee man.

Archived