Who would you keep from current squad for next season? - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who would you keep from current squad for next season?

74GMFC

Is he really though? By the sounds of it he had a couple of good games in the league our own reserves are in. Its not exactly a sure sign of a good player.

Yes he really is a highly rated young player hence the contract extension he got. The rangers fans online were saying he is better than Rudden and he actually was in about the first team, he definitely has more pedigree than any of the young strikers we have. If he does well here though doubt he will be back and, realistically, the only striker we will try and keep will be/should be McHugh.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or because he was banging them in at reserve level and is highly rated whilst we don't have any youth striker with that sort of form?

Is it not surprising how often the players that are banging them in at all levels tend to play for the OF?

Is it not surprising how often the players that are banging them in at all levels tend to play for the OF?

Still got to put them in the net. The 3 new signings we have and the ones JJ wants this week are the only chances of us doing anything other than finishing 9th if JJ stays so trying to be positive.

Playing for Rangers* youth teams is very, very far from a mark of quality and for anybody who wants to disagree, I give you Chris McLeod, Graham Dale and Chris Smith.

The list of OF youth failures would be almost infinite granted. But there are plenty of players throughout the leagues who are either loanees or former OF players who do really well so I think it is entirely fair to expect Dallas to do well.

Absolutely baffled that some people want to keep McHugh after nearly two years of shuffling the team around to account his many limitations and getting a handful of goals and absolutely dung football in return. A terrible signing by Duffy at the time and we shouldn't be lowering standards now to the point where he gets 'rewarded' with a new deal.

Poaching goals in the seaside leagues is his natural level; get him in the sea come May. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Absolutely baffled that some people want to keep McHugh after nearly two years of shuffling the team around to account his many limitations and getting a handful of goals and absolutely dung football in return. A terrible signing by Duffy at the time and we shouldn't be lowering standards now to the point where he gets 'rewarded' with a new deal.

Poaching goals in the seaside leagues is his natural level; get him in the sea come May.

The guy has put in his all every game and definitely improved plus scored a few goals in an abysmal team. He is the best striker we have atm since Denny looks done so keep him on and get the rest to fuck.

The guy has put in his all every game and definitely improved plus scored a few goals in an abysmal team. He is the best striker we have atm since Denny looks done so keep him on and get the rest to ****.

World's tallest dwarf.

Best we have says nothing. Effort not in question. Quality is not good enough. Not good enough to take us to the next level. Bin.

McHugh has been much improved under JJ, but he was depressingly short on quality on Saturday (like he has been for much of his time with us). Decent player to have around the squad, but I struggle to see the argument for him being a starter on a regular basis.

The guy has put in his all every game and definitely improved plus scored a few goals in an abysmal team. He is the best striker we have atm since Denny looks done so keep him on and get the rest to ****.

He doesn't put in his all in every game where he chooses not to press and walks about the park instead so that's simply not true. And last time I checked we weren't running a glorified social club anyway, so we'll be measuring his worth by goals and meaningful contributions rather than effort and being marginally more effective than Robert fucking Thomson anyway. 

He's shite and the truly gormless section of the Morton fanbase who have now lowered expectations enough to think that he has earned a new deal are the reason why we can't have good things. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

He doesn't put in his all in every game where he chooses not to press and walks about the park instead so that's simply not true. And last time I checked we weren't running a glorified social club anyway, so we'll be measuring his worth by goals and meaningful contributions rather than effort and being marginally more effective than Robert ****ing Thomson anyway.

He's s***e and the truly gormless section of the Morton fanbase who have now lowered expectations enough to think that he has earned a new deal are the reason why we can't have good things.

I don't want to keep him and play him every week. I think he would be decent to keep in the squad, not to lead the line. You are an idiot if you think the club will bring in 3 good strikers - if we can get one or two actual quality strikers to start week in and week out then there won't be many better players to have on the bench than McHugh. Surely you would rather see a bench with McHugh on it than some imposter like Robert Thomson or whatever Gary Oliver is now.

Although, maybe you want to just sign 13 players of quality and hope there aren't too many injuries similar to your goalkeeper idea. So fuck knows.

Ah bless, I see the 'good impact sub' myth is getting a much-missed airing, based on the one time that he scored a goal in a televised play-off match. I'd rather have a bench with none of McHugh, Oliver and Thomson on it because two of them are patently not good enough and the other is too often a disinterested waster. We can and should demand better than the lot of them. It is through keeping dung, senior players around as 'decent squad options' that we routinely squander our budget and then wonder why we can't afford players of the required quality to challenge. 

McHugh has been much improved under JJ, but he was depressingly short on quality on Saturday (like he has been for much of his time with us). Decent player to have around the squad, but I struggle to see the argument for him being a starter on a regular basis.

That's my thoughts on him, really. I think he has shown that he has something to offer this season though, so if he can chip in with a few more goals and good performances over the next few months then I wouldn't be too bothered if he was kept on as a squad player. That said, I'd be even less bothered if he left and would be concerned if we couldn't attract better options.

AWMSC

Maybe optimistically, I see him as a sub up against tired legs, which is about his level. Certainly if we're going into next season with him as first choice number 9, we'd be in trouble.

EOho8Pw.png

Ah bless, I see the 'good impact sub' myth is getting a much-missed airing, based on the one time that he scored a goal in a televised play-off match. I'd rather have a bench with none of McHugh, Oliver and Thomson on it because two of them are patently not good enough and the other is too often a disinterested waster. We can and should demand better than the lot of them. It is through keeping dung, senior players around as 'decent squad options' that we routinely squander our budget and then wonder why we can't afford players of the required quality to challenge.

So how many players should we have if having squad players is "squandering" resources?

I didn't say that we shouldn't have squad players - try reading for the sake of comprehension next time. I said that we shouldn't be re-signing dung, senior players to serve that purpose because that's an inefficient way of building a squad.  It's the Gaston/Scully farce all over again. Players of McHugh's relative seniority (and thus wage demands) within the squad have to be key first team players, but he's simply not good enough for that status. So therefore we bin him, use the wages to bring in an option with genuine quality instead and use loans of youth ringers or our own products with far lower wage demands to serve as squad options. 

I didn't say that we shouldn't have squad players - try reading for the sake of comprehension next time. I said that we shouldn't be re-signing dung, senior players to serve that purpose because that's an inefficient way of building a squad. It's the Gaston/Scully farce all over again. Players of McHugh's relative seniority (and thus wage demands) within the squad have to be key first team players, but he's simply not good enough for that status. So therefore we bin him, use the wages to bring in an option with genuine quality instead and use loans of youth ringers or our own products with far lower wage demands to serve as squad options.

If there are better options out there that are achievable then I won't lose any sleep over it.

Perhaps for the first time in my many years of supporting Morton, there isn't one single player I'd be sorry to see leaving Morton.

On form, Tidser is our best outfield player, but he has always been very inconsistent. Seems to have spells he is outstanding, followed by spells of being relatively ineffective... this has been a fairly typical Tidser season.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Archived