World Cup 2018 Thread - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018 Thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also Herve Renard is still without doubt the most aesthetic manager in world football.

That's where you're wrong.

1200.jpg

This game has been wide open and not gubbins so far, which is a start. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm not convinced that the supposed Greatest Of All Time can really be a player who is absolutely gubbins at beating a goalkeeper from twelve yards throughout his career. It's an inexplicable failing and it may well lead to the Argies being papped out of this group.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm not convinced that the supposed Greatest Of All Time can really be a player who is absolutely gubbins at beating a goalkeeper from twelve yards throughout his career. It's an inexplicable failing and it may well lead to the Argies being papped out of this group.

Silly argument. There are players of far less ability that go through virtually their whole career without missing a penalty. Derek Lilley being a prime example.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

That's why it's inexplicable - scoring a penalty is a fairly straightforward skill (far more simple than many of Messi's goals in open play have required). But the miss for Argentina in this group game is part of a career-long pattern in which he has often failed to convert from twelve yards out with an entire goal to aim at. Why is a technically gifted player unable to deal with such a basic challenge? It's not something that Ronaldo had to worry about when dragging Portugal to a decent result the previous night.

I know the whole Messi/Ronaldo debate is basic tier but at this point, given the CL and the Euros, you'd really have to be a total weirdo to not to at the absolute minimum call Ronaldo the best since Maradona, but if he wins the WC (unlikely though it is) there won't even be a contest, he will be clearly the best there ever was.

As recently as 18 months ago I'd have said it was Messi, but Messi can't drag his national team to victory alone. Ronaldo can, and with an inferior squad.

EOho8Pw.png

I know the whole Messi/Ronaldo debate is basic tier but at this point, given the CL and the Euros, you'd really have to be a total weirdo to not to at the absolute minimum call Ronaldo the best since Maradona, but if he wins the WC (unlikely though it is) there won't even be a contest, he will be clearly the best there ever was.

As recently as 18 months ago I'd have said it was Messi, but Messi can't drag his national team to victory alone. Ronaldo can, and with an inferior squad.

That doesn't paint the whole picture though.

For me as an all round footballer Messi is a level above Ronaldo but as a goalscorer the opposite is true.

There'll never be agreement on this.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

There will never be agreement but I'm talking about raw effectiveness in winning games, and Ronaldo has shown that well into his 30s he can grab games by the scruff of the neck. Messi is a joy to watch and it's great that both of them are playing at the same time but in terms of sheer difference to outcomes I think he's peaked. (And yes, I have seen the Liga table.)

EOho8Pw.png

Messi took a dreadful Argentina team to 3 consecutive finals and was pretty much the only reason they qualified this time round, just look at the points with and without him in the qualifiers.

There's no real way you can twist how Euro '16 went to make it that Ronaldo carried Portugal to it. He played a part, yeah, but Maradona '86 it was not. He didn't score against Switzerland in qualifying either, as it happens, which were the only worthwhile games in their group.

AWMSC

Messi took a dreadful Argentina team to 3 consecutive finals and was pretty much the only reason they qualified this time round, just look at the points with and without him in the qualifiers.

There's no real way you can twist how Euro '16 went to make it that Ronaldo carried Portugal to it. He played a part, yeah, but Maradona '86 it was not. He didn't score against Switzerland in qualifying either, as it happens, which were the only worthwhile games in their group.

This Argentina side has got problems but it's not exactly Messi plus ten jobbers they called up from a building site in Buenos Aires - most teams would kill to have options like Higuain, Aguero and to a lesser extent Di Maria or Mascherano. It's not working though and on yesterday's showing Messi was as much part of that problem as anyone else in the team. 

Messi will probably go down as the best player in Barcelona's record books but he's had a team largely built to his needs there during his entire club career. When outside that comfort zone he's not reached anything like the same heights.

Archived