Queens Park - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Queens Park

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queens-park-president-warns-sfa-11364873

"The SFA took out a 20-year rent deal - at £800,000 a year - after the £60 million Hampden rebuild with most of the cash paying of Queen’s Park debts."

“Since this version of Hampden was opened in 1903, Queens Park have relied on the income for its business model, whether run by ourselves or for the last 17 years by the SFA on the leasing agreement."

“At the end of the day it comes down to money but I’d like to think the history of Queen’s Park, what we have done for the game and what we continue to do might count for something.

“I’d hope we’d retain some degree of affection and support throughout the Scottish game. Is there a moral obligation to stay? I wouldn’t use the word moral in connection to football.

Parasites on Scottish football, who should be cut off and left to slide their way into the Lowland or amateur ranks where they now belong. Discuss.

Doesn't make sense for them to play at such a large stadium when attracting 500 - 800 fans?

Maybe Lesser Hampden could be developed into a compliant stadium? Why do they not progress to professional club status?

I am not a fan of Hampden and think it is a horrible stadium. We could have built something much better. I don't see the need in having Hampden and Murryfield and feel we should have had the one 'super stadium'.

The rebuild of Hampden was absolutely criminal, they could scarcely have done a worse job.

When it's full or nearly full I still think the atmosphere is great, so it's fine for cup finals and important Scotland games. If it's less than about three-quarters full though it's poor, so not good for semi-finals and Scotland friendlies or qualification games against the likes of Malta and whatnot. Would have much preferred our semi-final a year ago in Easter Road or Tynecastle.

The fact that the SFA bailed them out when they were put into administration the first time is a disgrace, never mind keeping them running now. Failed club; not even real amateurs playing for them.

Sad!

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 1 month later...

There was an article a few years back suggesting that the bowl shaped East and West stands at Hampden be demolished and replaced with new, regular ones running along the ends of the park. The suggestion was that this would improve sight lines (can’t argue with that) and the atmosphere (probably right). It would also reduce the capacity, which wouldn’t generally be a problem as very few games each year sell out the 52,000 capacity. If this hypothetical Hampden was around the 35,000-40,000 mark it would be adequate for most Scotland games and any semis or finals without Celtic or Rangers being involved. Games likely to attract bigger crowds could be moved to Parkhead, Ibrox or Murrayfield. The other suggestion was to install safe-standing, such as at Dortmund, so that larger domestic crowds could still be accommodated, up to about 45,000-50,000.

Much more expensive than just sharing out the games to existing stadiums, mind you.

Archived