What do you hate about Morton? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What do you hate about Morton?

vikingTON

Given that nobody is going to pay big fees for players on short-term deals, if the MCT money is securing a long-term deal that generates, say, £250,000, it'd seem contrary to the spirit of the whole thing if a chunk of it wasn't invested directly back into the first team budget.

If all it's doing is generating funds for the Raes by facilitating long-term contracts for sellable players and covering a couple of Billy Kings, it seems a bit pointless.

AWMSC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not suggesting that they get the money but that the model is flawed.

If their money just goes into the playing fund and after a few months one of the players is sold on, then the members money is in the hands of the club who can do what they want with it. They've been pretty clear that shouldn't happen with the money but is an obvious potential scenario when that chain of events happens.

When they're talking about potential ownership then they need to rethink the strategy of just saying every penny goes to the playing budget.

As you say, without any sort of influence it can be perceived as just charity so, if their ownership intentions are serious, having a rethink about how the members money is used is needed.

Even without the Van Schaik and King signings being considered, in Lyon's case they've covered wages of a player who hasn't really played anyway.

^^^ idiot found

MCT is making an investment just like any other external buyer of shares in the club: indeed the principle that it’s investment is earmarked for the first team budget is a privilege that doesn’t normally occur in that scenario. That doesn’t mean that they get - or should be entitled to - either an important day in what the club does with that budget or some ridiculous stake in a transfer sale.

It’s clear that you’re massively, massively fuming that your big mate Hawke, the Supporters Trust and gormless flunkies like yourself have been brushed aside; there’s no reason to dig an even bigger hole for yourself with all these moronic hot takes on how things should be done.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is an absolutely wild train of thought. Absolutely nobody paying into MCT believes (or even thinks there would be any justification for) money from transfer fees would be taken out of the club and put into MCT’s funds. Even typing that feels ridiculous. What are you on about? :lol:

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Given that nobody is going to pay big fees for players on short-term deals, if the MCT money is securing a long-term deal that generates, say, £250,000, it'd seem contrary to the spirit of the whole thing if a chunk of it wasn't invested directly back into the first team budget.

If all it's doing is generating funds for the Raes by facilitating long-term contracts for sellable players and covering a couple of Billy Kings, it seems a bit pointless.

1) It’s pure supposition to claim that the entirety of any transfer fees would pay down the debt. It could be split between the budget and the debt in any way.

2) So what if it did anyway? The top priority right now is to prise the club out of GC’s ownership and the reality is that this will never happen until their massive pile of IOUs is gone. People really shouldn’t care how that happens (other than GC flogging a capital asset like Cappielow itself of course): an imaginary £200k being cleared from a transfer sale is simply £x less that fans will have to invest in the future to finally become debt free and no longer beholden to these third generation dauphin wankers.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is an absolutely wild train of thought. Absolutely nobody paying into MCT believes (or even thinks there would be any justification for) money from transfer fees would be taken out of the club and put into MCT’s funds. Even typing that feels ridiculous. What are you on about? :lol:

I didn't say it should be put into MCT's funds but they are promising all the money goes to the playing budget and I know people who have already left who aren't satisfied by how it's going.

Two duffs and a player sold with the likelihood of nothing going back to the playing budget isn't going to help that.

The point is the model and promise of all members money being ring fenced for playing budget isn't one that will work long term or support any takeover.

A player being sold because of their investment could obviously be a good thing but I don't think anyone here would expect anything other than that money going directly to Golden Casket and out of the club.

All speculation obviously but a likely scenario if the rumours are true.

At least some of it should be ring-fenced for the *playing budget*, not MCT.

AWMSC

At least some of it should be ring-fenced for the *playing budget*, not MCT.

How do you magically ‘ring-fence’ any transfer fee? It’s not as if it gets dropped off at Cappielow in a suitcase of marked twenties to be kept in the boardroom: it’s just a number entered into the club’s bank account like any other income. So who exactly would be capable of verifying the ring-fencing of that money as opposed to, say, gate receipts, that you want to happen?

No professional football club operates in this manner regardless of their ownership and it would be utterly ludicrous for MCT to demand that happen here.

I didn't say it should be put into MCT's funds but they are promising all the money goes to the playing budget and I know people who have already left who aren't satisfied by how it's going.

Two duffs and a player sold with the likelihood of nothing going back to the playing budget isn't going to help that.

That some people choose to take the huff and cancel their subscriptions really isn’t the bombshell revelation that you think it is. Any competent fans’ group or ownership model would in fact account for this entirely foreseeable attrition every year. For reference, we can always compare and contrast MCT’s ongoing influence with the club to the utterly disastrous Supporters Trust: which for the last fifteen years has enjoyed as much power as a single parent family in a Cuban slum.

How do you magically ‘ring-fence’ any transfer fee? It’s not as if it gets dropped off at Cappielow in a suitcase of marked twenties to be kept in the boardroom: it’s just a number entered into the club’s bank account like any other income. So who exactly would be capable of verifying the ring-fencing of that money as opposed to, say, gate receipts, that you want to happen?

No professional football club operates in this manner regardless of their ownership and it would be utterly ludicrous for MCT to demand that happen here.

A percentage of of the transfer fee or pro rata return to playing budget would be obvious examples.

Any business that invests in anything should consider return on investment, risks and benefits.

A percentage of of the transfer fee or pro rata return to playing budget would be obvious examples.

Any business that invests in anything should consider return on investment, risks and benefits.

MCT are not 'any business that invests' whose sole motivation is return.

MCT are not 'any business that invests' whose sole motivation is return.

They are a business.

Their roi is an increased playing budget or better squad of players.

Facilitating the signing of poor quality players (which would be an accepted risk) or bringing in money that will go to Golden Casket isn't sustainable for that model, particularly when the long term goal is to buy out the club and cover costs through revenue.

The signing policy is a gamble but mitigations could be in place for any profit to help achieve their goals.

I'd guess somebody would look at the income and say "there's the transfer fee, £x is being allocated to the playing budget", much in the way that any resources are allocated. It wouldn't be a complicated process.

The transfer fee wouldn't exist without the long-term deal being secured via MCT, so again, it's not at all unreasonable to expect that a portion goes in to the team rather than paying off debts or whatever. 

AWMSC

Name one investor in a Scottish football club who has successfully claimed a share of transfer fees as a conditional return on their investment. You’ve been watching too many episodes of Dragons’ Den hotshot.

Name one investor in a Scottish football club who has successfully claimed a share of transfer fees as a conditional return on their investment. You’ve been watching too many episodes of Dragons’ Den hotshot.

Name one that's using the same model as MCT.

They are a business.

Facilitating the signing of poor quality players (which would be an accepted risk) or bringing in money that will go to Golden Casket isn't sustainable for that model, particularly when the long term goal is to buy out the club and cover costs through revenue.

The signing policy is a gamble but mitigations could be in place for any profit to help achieve their goals.

Erm no, they’re not a business. They don’t AFAIK have any paid employees from the organisation’s funds, nor are they pursuing a profitable return on their investment. It is instead a not for profit organisation with the sole (stated) goal of supporting the football club as a going concern.

So kindly place your poundshop Alan Sugar business analysis in the sea where it belongs then.

Name one that's using the same model as MCT.

That’ll be ‘nobody’ then.

Does the Foundation of Hearts organisation get a chunk of transfer fees from Heart of Midlothian as a return on its ‘investment’? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

Erm no, they’re not a business. They don’t AFAIK have any paid employees from the organisation’s funds, nor are they pursuing a profitable return on their investment. It is instead a not for profit organisation with the sole (stated) goal of supporting the football club as a going concern.

So kindly place your poundshop Alan Sugar business analysis in the sea where it belongs then.

Maybe once you move out from your maws house you'll understand that organisations need to assess risks and impact and then act on that to protect long term strategy.

Maybe once you move out from your maws house you'll understand that organisations need to assess risks and impact and then act on that to protect long term strategy.

^^^ badly rattled

I instructed you to place your Poundland Alan Sugar routine in the sea though, so all that’s left from that post is just noise.

They are a business.

Their role is to increase the playing budget. Their contributions would cover Lyon's wages so provided a guarantee for the extension.

If Lyon is sold, that money is freed up to be reallocated to another player the increased budget remains.

Their role is to increase the playing budget. Their contributions would cover Lyon's wages so provided a guarantee for the extension.

If Lyon is sold, that money is freed up to be reallocated to another player the increased budget remains.

Yes, and if the money isn't coming back to the club if they sell anyone or goes to rubbish players then people will leave if there's no obvious improvement on the playing side.

Lyon leaving after being paid more without playing much would be an example of how the gamble of focusing on the playing budget is an example of how the strategy could quickly start to fail.

Archived