Morton vs. Partick - 28/12/19 - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs. Partick - 28/12/19

capitanus

This was my first home game of the season, and my first trip to Cappielow since February, sadly it was not a pleasant experience. I'll mention the things I noticed and wasn't impressed with before getting onto the team and performance. I know some of them are minute issues, but they are easily fixed.  

- The ticket booth had three queues but only one card machine. For all it probably doesn't happen very often, when I turned up to buy my ticket I wanted to pay by card, as did the people at the other two booths. It took me far longer to purchase a ticket than it should have. If there are three ticket queues accepting card and cash payments there should be three card machines. 
- When I went entered the ground, there was an old guy who was struggling to get his ticket to work our lovely shiny turnstiles. Rather than walk over to the old guy and help him, the steward barked orders at him from afar. It would take far less time, and would be much better customer service, to simply walk over to the old boy and give him a hand. 
- The TV above the pie stall is a good idea, but it's criminally out of date. I spotted Gary Harkins and Michael Tidser modeling the home kit, Mauricio Pochettino's reaction to Spurs getting knocked out of the League Cup against Colchester (a match which happened on 24th September) and encouraged people to attend the Morton vs Inverness on October 26th. It if can't be kept up to date then get rid of it or simply use it as external advertising space. 

Onto the more pressing concerns; that team and performance was flat, disjointed and bluntly, shite. The initial shape doesn't suit the players at our disposal, and there were far too many poor individual performances. The obvious one was Livingstone. For both his sake and the team's he should have been taken off at half time and replaced with Strapp. Cadden has obviously been told not to get dragged back and Partick began exploiting that in the first half, but our management team refusing to address the issue earlier than they did was criminal. Livingstone got less and less confident as the game went on, Grant was quite pish and it took McAlister too long to recognise that he had to come over and prevent the overload on the left hand side.

Our midfield shape, with and without the ball, is absolutely rank rotten. Jacobs and McAlister are obviously meant to be sitting in front of the back four, but at times we were playing with a fucking back six. The gap between those two and Lyon was massive. We were overrun by a four man midfield when we played with five in the middle. For the amount of experience Jacobs and McAlister have, they had little to no impact on the midfield battle or the match in general. How many times did one of the Partick strikers drop into the role and receive the ball under little or no pressure? That's not good enough. 

I get the idea of playing Lyon in a more advanced role, a better goal return is going to make him look like a better prospect if and when he is scouted. However, he's going to develop into a more rounded player, and help the team more, in a more holding role. From there he learns how to influence the game more and his mobility (which isn't great, but is still vastly superior to the alternatives) can have more of an impact. 

In general, we looked lethargic, didn't win second balls or put any real pressure on our opponents when they were in possession. There wasn't any attacking game plan beyond 'punt long or give it to Cadden'. Both goals were soft, but the second one was a fucking shambles. If an opponent forced a cracking save from your goalkeeper and the ball goes out for a corner again, FUCKING MARK HIM CLOSELY. Put two men on him if you have to. That epitomised how soft and easily cracked we are. Once Partick dropped into a low defensive block we had absolutely no penetration. 

Every single aspect of our game needs to improve, from both the players and the management team. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my first home game of the season, and my first trip to Cappielow since February, sadly it was not a pleasant experience. I'll mention the things I noticed and wasn't impressed with before getting onto the team and performance. I know some of them are minute issues, but they are easily fixed.

- The ticket booth had three queues but only one card machine. For all it probably doesn't happen very often, when I turned up to buy my ticket I wanted to pay by card, as did the people at the other two booths. It took me far longer to purchase a ticket than it should have. If there are three ticket queues accepting card and cash payments there should be three card machines.

- When I went entered the ground, there was an old guy who was struggling to get his ticket to work our lovely shiny turnstiles. Rather than walk over to the old guy and help him, the steward barked orders at him from afar. It would take far less time, and would be much better customer service, to simply walk over to the old boy and give him a hand.

- The TV above the pie stall is a good idea, but it's criminally out of date. I spotted Gary Harkins and Michael Tidser modeling the home kit, Mauricio Pochettino's reaction to Spurs getting knocked out of the League Cup against Colchester (a match which happened on 24th September) and encouraged people to attend the Morton vs Inverness on October 26th. It if can't be kept up to date then get rid of it or simply use it as external advertising space.

Onto the more pressing concerns; that team and performance was flat, disjointed and bluntly, shite. The initial shape doesn't suit the players at our disposal, and there were far too many poor individual performances. The obvious one was Livingstone. For both his sake and the team's he should have been taken off at half time and replaced with Strapp. Cadden has obviously been told not to get dragged back and Partick began exploiting that in the first half, but our management team refusing to address the issue earlier than they did was criminal. Livingstone got less and less confident as the game went on, Grant was quite pish and it took McAlister too long to recognise that he had to come over and prevent the overload on the left hand side.

Our midfield shape, with and without the ball, is absolutely rank rotten. Jacobs and McAlister are obviously meant to be sitting in front of the back four, but at times we were playing with a fucking back six. The gap between those two and Lyon was massive. We were overrun by a four man midfield when we played with five in the middle. For the amount of experience Jacobs and McAlister have, they had little to no impact on the midfield battle or the match in general. How many times did one of the Partick strikers drop into the role and receive the ball under little or no pressure? That's not good enough.

I get the idea of playing Lyon in a more advanced role, a better goal return is going to make him look like a better prospect if and when he is scouted. However, he's going to develop into a more rounded player, and help the team more, in a more holding role. From there he learns how to influence the game more and his mobility (which isn't great, but is still vastly superior to the alternatives) can have more of an impact.

In general, we looked lethargic, didn't win second balls or put any real pressure on our opponents when they were in possession. There wasn't any attacking game plan beyond 'punt long or give it to Cadden'. Both goals were soft, but the second one was a fucking shambles. If an opponent forced a cracking save from your goalkeeper and the ball goes out for a corner again, FUCKING MARK HIM CLOSELY. Put two men on him if you have to. That epitomised how soft and easily cracked we are. Once Partick dropped into a low defensive block we had absolutely no penetration.

Every single aspect of our game needs to improve, from both the players and the management team.

Oh Len, you know your onions!

Too long; didn’t read.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I’m sure you did champ

You’re wrong yet again then.

Thanks for playing anyway chump.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived