General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Just looking at the scores as I watch Tauro-FC Dallas in the CONCACAF Champions League, and our neighbors in CONMEBOL are well underway in the Libertadores.

After 18 minutes, Jorge Wilstermann of Bolivia are 3-0 up against Vasco da Gama of Brazil in the third qualifying round.

That would be weird in itself, except Vasco won the first leg 4-0, with two goals in the last minute.

Football in the Americas may be lower quality than in Europe but results like this keep it very exciting.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Just looking at the scores as I watch Tauro-FC Dallas in the CONCACAF Champions League, and our neighbors in CONMEBOL are well underway in the Libertadores.

After 18 minutes, Jorge Wilstermann of Bolivia are 3-0 up against Vasco da Gama of Brazil in the third qualifying round.

That would be weird in itself, except Vasco won the first leg 4-0, with two goals in the last minute.

Football in the Americas may be lower quality than in Europe but results like this keep it very exciting.

Was looking at the odds for that tonight and Jorge Wilsterman were ridiculously short. Never touched it.

You’ll know better than me- I’ve currently got a bet on the Gremio v Independiente game. Is that their equivalent of the Super Cup, between Libertadores Cup winners and the Copa Sudamericana winners?

18 minutes from the end Wilster get the equalizer. And then Vasco win on penalties, because of course they did.

Yes, the Super Cup is the same as its UEFA equivalent, and is also known as the 'Recopa' (the re- in Spanish being aggrandizing in Spanish, like calling it the 'Cuppest', loosely.) Ronaldinho'a old club Gremio (Portuguese for Guild) beats Independeniente on penalties (the former club of Juan Sebastian Veron. A mixed success at Man Utd but elsewhere, when on form, a joy to watch.)

EOho8Pw.png

Speaking of Super Cups, China just had theirs, and Guangzhou Evergrande won their third consecutive one with a 4-1 win over Shanghai Shenhua.  Two Chinese and two Brazilian goalscorers for the victors. Freddy Guarin's equalizer not enough for Shanghai, who were playing at 'home' because that was the prearranged venue. Oddly enough the ground was barely two thirds full, probably because they knew they'd get horsed.

Evergrande are managed by Fabio Cannavaro and have the best support in the country, and an absolute ton of cash, but still, seven consecutive championships is impressive no matter how you slice it.

EOho8Pw.png

Tomorrow, kicking off one hour after our game, is the Soweto Derby between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs. It's being played at the national stadium in Johannesburg itself instead of Orlando. That's because Orlando only allows 40,000, while Soccer City allows close to 80,000. Nonetheless, the move makes it a "home" game for Chiefs, although Pirates do play some other games there from time to time as well.

Barring a massive shock, they are both playing for second place. Mamelodi Sundowns are well clear at the top, but they bottled it last season as unfancied Wits* won the title by three points.

*formerly managed by Jimmy "Paisley Bastard" Bone.

EOho8Pw.png

Pirates won 3-1 in front of 86,000 (I thought the capacity was restricted due to safety issues but apparently not.) I didn't see the first half, obviously, but the second was all Pirates and they should have had more.

EOho8Pw.png

Tomorrow, kicking off one hour after our game, is the Soweto Derby between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs. It's being played at the national stadium in Johannesburg itself instead of Orlando. That's because Orlando only allows 40,000, while Soccer City allows close to 80,000. Nonetheless, the move makes it a "home" game for Chiefs, although Pirates do play some other games there from time to time as well.

Barring a massive shock, they are both playing for second place. Mamelodi Sundowns are well clear at the top, but they bottled it last season as unfancied Wits* won the title by three points.

*formerly managed by Jimmy "Paisley Bastard" Bone.

Hadn't seen or heard of him for years. I remember the Scotland-Italy game where those cheating bastards won and that shocking decision by the cheating bastard referee against Hutton late in the game, both Toby and Myself were going out of the ground (South Stand) and spotted a hospitality bar and went in for a beer. We had no problems getting served and there was an unedited feed of the game been shown on the TV, and we were sitting at a table next to Jimmy Bone watching it, all shocked and stunned at that decision.

Such was the shock of what just happened neither of us batted an eyelid of who else was there. In normal circumstances the issue of Morton-St.Mirren would have been on the agenda, but not even a mention of it.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

I had a bunch of mates over to the house that day to watch the game and it was just stunned silence combined with barely-contained rage. I'm actually fucking seething all over again now that you've reminded me of it :lol:

EOho8Pw.png

True enough, he was a good servant though and I think there's a lot of revisionism about him from people who are convinced he was always terrible.

As long as we're making this a general football thread, it's a complete mindfuck that Loic Remy is on loan at Getafe, the Spanish team whom I have followed for over a decade. His signing for Las Palmas was weird enough - that's quite a step down after Chelsea - but now he's had a fight with their coach and only Geta would take him.

They also now have Mathieu Flamini, without a club since his disastrous spell at Crystal Palace.

Both signings are utterly weird to me because Geta are miles clear of relegation and could frankly do without the Europa League distraction that they seem unlikely to get in any case. For a club that used to bring through hungry youngsters (Roberto Soldado, for one) to switch to this elephant's graveyard approach is odd to me.

EOho8Pw.png

True enough, he was a good servant though and I think there's a lot of revisionism about him from people who are convinced he was always terrible.

As long as we're making this a general football thread, it's a complete mind**** that Loic Remy is on loan at Getafe, the Spanish team whom I have followed for over a decade. His signing for Las Palmas was weird enough - that's quite a step down after Chelsea - but now he's had a fight with their coach and only Geta would take him.

They also now have Mathieu Flamini, without a club since his disastrous spell at Crystal Palace.

Both signings are utterly weird to me because Geta are miles clear of relegation and could frankly do without the Europa League distraction that they seem unlikely to get in any case. For a club that used to bring through hungry youngsters (Roberto Soldado, for one) to switch to this elephant's graveyard approach is odd to me.

Just out of interest, and a question that I often got asked about Morton - why do you support Getafe?

*insert signature here*

I had a job related to Spanish football at the time (2006) and they just grabbed me. Play in blue, from an economically-depressed town near a major city... it was in the stars :D

EOho8Pw.png

Rampla Juniors of Uruguay utterly rinsing UTC Cajamarca of Peru 4-0 in the Sudamericana, making it 4-2 on aggregate.

If you thought Atletico Madrid's old ground was close to the river, or Arbroath were close to the shore, take a look at the hilariously-named Estadio Olimpico in Montevideo:

fd1a9a16dd52d6494a520f7657a60d64.jpg

EOho8Pw.png

Rampla Juniors of Uruguay utterly rinsing UTC Cajamarca of Peru 4-0 in the Sudamericana, making it 4-2 on aggregate.

If you thought Atletico Madrid's old ground was close to the river, or Arbroath were close to the shore, take a look at the hilariously-named Estadio Olimpico in Montevideo:

fd1a9a16dd52d6494a520f7657a60d64.jpg

Took them tonight, for no other reason than Dortmund and Lazio letting me down and I started chasing.

Good on them :).

Took them tonight, for no other reason than Dortmund and Lazio letting me down and I started chasing.

Good on them :).

Saw the Dortmund highlights, they were utterly appalling.

Uruguayan clubs, like the national team, punch above their weight quite frequently.

EOho8Pw.png

Saw the Dortmund highlights, they were utterly appalling.

Uruguayan clubs, like the national team, punch above their weight quite frequently.

That lot let me down against Augsburg last week too, this season’s Villareal, who drove me nuts last season.

I’ll be steering clear for a while.