Club statement- Gambling on football - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club statement- Gambling on football

pink_panther

He’s got an interview in The Sun today talking about his gambling problems: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4946095/morton-andy-bryan-sfa-ban-gambling/

I don’t want to trivialise any addiction issues by going to a tangential point, but I can’t avoid picking up on this from the article.

“When I’d the chance to go to Stoke City as kitman three years ago, the then-Morton chairman Douglas Rae effectively doubled my wages, and so I’d more money to bet with.

“But I’m not for a second blaming him or anyone else. The mess I was in was all down to me. I was a typical punter, always thinking the next big win was around the corner. I got in trouble a few years ago and the club paid my debts and took the money off my wages every week.

The move to Stoke being offered was actually reported in summer 2014 but he says three years ago, so either way we’re looking at some time between 2014-2016.

At a time when we were hardly spending at the rate of the McInally era, when we still had annual threats of part-time football if we didn’t all bring a friend, when we were continually being reminded of the need to reduce the debt, the club decided to double the wages of the kitman to stop him leaving, rather than allowing him to then replacing him with someone else on the same wage. That’s a serious approach to sustainability.

This football club, honestly.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s got an interview in The Sun today talking about his gambling problems: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4946095/morton-andy-bryan-sfa-ban-gambling/

I don’t want to trivialise any addiction issues by going to a tangential point, but I can’t avoid picking up on this from the article.

The move to Stoke being offered was actually reported in summer 2014 but he says three years ago, so either way we’re looking at some time between 2014-2016.

At a time when we were hardly spending at the rate of the McInally era, when we still had annual threats of part-time football if we didn’t all bring a friend, when we were continually being reminded of the need to reduce the debt, the club decided to double the wages of the kitman to stop him leaving, rather than allowing him to then replacing him with someone else on the same wage. That’s a serious approach to sustainability.

Another fine example of mismanagement under the Rae's, crazy to double the wages of the shirt washer.

I hope the bit about Morton knowing he had gambling issues, presumably also that he gambled on Football against the rules, doesn't come back to bite the club who seemingly didn't report it if the charges only came about now?

Probably why they’re trying to get rid now.

Surely it depends more on whether it would have cost them more to replace him or not though?

I've also no idea what a kit man's wage is, if he earns outside of football, the hours he works, his role before and after, etc so it's harsh to judge based on one line.

Surely it depends more on whether it would have cost them more to replace him or not though?

Yes, I'm sure they would have had to hire a top notch, City of London recruitment consultancy to find a glorified cleaner. Mebbe hold a The Apprentice style search among ten hotshots holed up in a QB high flat, being gradually emptied by Dougie in a boardroom showdown each week. 

With that level of gullibility it's no wonder that the club was able to double wages to any chancer under the sun under the Trust's watch. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 2 weeks later...

I've also no idea what a kit man's wage is, if he earns outside of football, the hours he works, his role before and after, etc so it's harsh to judge based on one line.

If he was on bare minimum, say £15k if we round it up, he will now be on £30k and it is an additional £15k every year. Therefore, the cost to replace him would have been cheaper.

Add to that, he has left the keys in the engine tk a company vehicle which was stolen and flaps his gums to everyone he meets/online.

Club needs to take action as he is bringing the company into disrepute.

Dread to think what sort of wage he must be on :mellow: another showing of complete incompetence from the Rae's that will no doubt be someone else's fault.

It shows the ‘business model’ we have had under the Rae’s but they have the cheap to call out losses each year and the. Money they want to give over 15%.

If a kit man is getting double wage, god knows what some players were getting.

• 4 weeks later...

His decision to ignore the rules and bring the club into disrepute. I trust the club asked for the Ariel back.

Surely he deserved a face-to-face meeting. If you’re gonna sack the guy, at least look him in the eye.

What now for the physio? Will she be getting a xmas card in the post, with a btw.

Whilst Andy knew the rules and I am not condoning what he did and after the service he has given the club to sack him by letter is a bit Shabby. He should have been told to report to Cappielow and fired in a face to face meeting but that is how unprofessional the people that run this club are.

Whilst Andy knew the rules and I am not condoning what he did and after the service he has given the club to sack him by letter is a bit Shabby. He should have been told to report to Cappielow and fired in a face to face meeting but that is how unprofessional the people that run this club are.

The service he has given the club is tainted by doing something that is clearly wrong over the course of a few years. I've no sympathy for him, especially after his rants on Facebook, etc.

See the Facebook group is full of the 'shock, horror, disgrace Morton sacking a good Morton man', type posts.

The fact he bet on Morton matches (even if it was just selecting us in a selection of draws which is deemed betting against us winning) and betting on who Morton would appoint when we had a managerial vacancy (whether he had insider info or not) probably swayed the decision and had it looked on more harshly.

See the Facebook group is full of the 'shock, horror, disgrace Morton sacking a good Morton man', type posts.

The fact he bet on Morton matches (even if it was just selecting us in a selection of draws which is deemed betting against us winning) and betting on who Morton would appoint when we had a managerial vacancy (whether he had insider info or not) probably swayed the decision and had it looked on more harshly.

Agreed. I've no sympathy with him at all, he's put money on Morton dropping points and hasn't been shy online about breaking the rules with so he's got nothing to complain about. Somebody else will be washing the strips within a few weeks and nobody's going to be looking back on the good old days of Andy Bryan.

AWMSC

The service he has given the club is tainted by doing something that is clearly wrong over the course of a few years. I've no sympathy for him, especially after his rants on Facebook, etc.

I have no sympathy for him what I am saying is the club is a business and should have acted more professionally and sacked him face to face.

Archived