Strict Liability - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Strict Liability

capitanus

I am a Catholic and find it offensive that my faith is exploited to sell football tops by a club whose Board think religion and bigotry are marketing techniques.

The rest of what you said - cool, whatever.

Celtic, of course, invented the idea of amassing huge sums of wealth in the name of Catholicism.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed.I was in Rome recently and abhorred to find I couldn't buy one piece of overpriced religious tat to continue to fund the let's face it, downright derelict Vatican, what with its inability to have proper wallpaper or woodchip, and instead having to get some jobbing painter to graffiti the roof.

Oh wait .....

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Celtic, of course, invented the idea of amassing huge sums of wealth in the name of Catholicism.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right? Jesus would be ashamed of capitalism :lol:

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right? Jesus would be ashamed of capitalism :lol:

It makes it extremely widespread. In the largely post-Christian West we don't see or feel it as much but religion is and always has been bound up in the larger culture, commerce included. In fact in post-Christian societies about the only place you'll see that is among diaspora populations - such as Celtic's fanbase.

Whether or not it's "right" is, firstly, not your call to make, but in any case I'm describing, not prescribing.

EOho8Pw.png

It makes it extremely widespread. In the largely post-Christian West we don't see or feel it as much but religion is and always has been bound up in the larger culture, commerce included. In fact in post-Christian societies about the only place you'll see that is among diaspora populations - such as Celtic's fanbase.

Whether or not it's "right" is, firstly, not your call to make, but in any case I'm describing, not prescribing.

It is a football(?) forum, I gave my opinion on what is right - just an opinion not attempting to lay out the moral code.

Otherwise, agree with what you are saying.

I am a Catholic and find it offensive that my faith is exploited to sell football tops by a club whose Board think religion and bigotry are marketing techniques.

The rest of what you said - cool, whatever.

And how exactly is your faith being used to sell Football tops?

Even if they are using faith to sell Football tops, don't you think that it's their faith too, and not just yours?

*insert signature here*

Again, how does 'sheep-shagger' equate to weegie? Anyway, Weegie has entered my lexicon after 5 years of being called a weegie since moving Coasts. If that word offends you or you think it is akin to what we are talking about in this discussion then grow up.

Where did I say it equated to sheep-shagger? Calling someone from outwith the Greater Glasgow area a Sheep-shagger is a quality insult, and far better than their dour mumblings under their breath about fvckin weedgies.

*insert signature here*

It is a football(?) forum, I gave my opinion on what is right - just an opinion not attempting to lay out the moral code.

Otherwise, agree with what you are saying.

Right, but you are on the one hand saying other peoples' opinions are categorically wrong - in equating weegie with (what I would, personally, consider) more clear-cut examples of discrimination - but on the other saying yours are protected simply by virtue of their being opinions. In fact we all have lines here. Yours just happen to be drawn a bit differently. The problem arises when you then hand-wave away criticism of your own biases by saying you're not trying to lay out the moral code, but clearly you are, at least when you feel you're on solid ground, such as here:

Hilarious that you think being Glasweigan is akin to being black. You realise that racial slurs carry offence because of the existence of oppression and such? Idiot.

P.S. You have managed to be racist in that post. Your opinion means absolutely jot to me.

The P.S. is quite clearly a moral judgement. Whether it's a reasonable one or not is up to you, but it's obviously predicated on the idea of "he did a racism, therefor he can be dismissed because racism is an unqualified Bad". That is, it's not enough for him to be an idiot - someone can be ill-informed or plain stupid about something without being evil - but that it must come from some kind of moral defect.

We all have these lines, and it's purely dishonest to suggest otherwise when yours are called into question.

EOho8Pw.png

Anyway, I was being serious with my first post on this thread - sectarianism in Scotland is great fun and should be encouraged at the football. It's genuinely, actually hilarious to watch and I don't care about the social consequences at all since I don't have to live with them. Having seen what actual divided societies look like, a bunch of people getting legitimately, bunched-fists furious at pictures of crosses and beetroot-faced guys walking about towns in blazers is a right laugh.

EOho8Pw.png

Anyway, I was being serious with my first post on this thread - sectarianism in Scotland is great fun and should be encouraged at the football. It's genuinely, actually hilarious to watch and I don't care about the social consequences at all since I don't have to live with them. Having seen what actual divided societies look like, a bunch of people getting legitimately, bunched-fists furious at pictures of crosses and beetroot-faced guys walking about towns in blazers is a right laugh.

Cowboys and Indians are right bastards.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• 3 weeks later...

In a recent poll, Morton stated that they were against strict liability.

Only three clubs were in favour - Partick Thistle, Queen of the South and Annan Athletic.

The ugly sisters were among eight clubs who didn't respond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47646210

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

In a recent poll, Morton stated that they were against strict liability.

Only three clubs were in favour - Partick Thistle, Queen of the South and Annan Athletic.

The ugly sisters were among eight clubs who didn't respond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47646210

Is Willie Miller suggesting that the home club should be held responsible, and punished, for racist or sectarian chanting of away fans?

Is Willie Miller suggesting that the home club should be held responsible, and punished, for racist or sectarian chanting of away fans?

That would light a fire under clubs for sure. At the moment stewards don't do anything, because they're not empowered to and frankly who would blame them for not risking life and limb for what they earn? A lot of what is being discussed is criminal behavior - throwing bottles and so on - and thus a matter for the police. Would clubs be willing to pay more to police the away supports?

EOho8Pw.png

My understanding of the proposal is that it would be the club whose supporters misbehaved that would be punished.  If that is incorrect, then I can see why clubs would be against the idea.  Imagine Morton getting fined or deducted points for Therangers fans singing their sectarian bile - that would be just plain daft.  Or what about a situation where the bigot brothers are playing in the last game of the season with the home team a point ahead - there would be a clear incentive for the away fans to cause as much bother as possible.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Except that UEFA already apply their form of strict liability to club sides and nobody is stupid enough to claim that the Celtic fanbase's various misdemeanours were in fact a false flag operation from the Bridgeton Loyal. 

It's just another pathetic excuse from Scottish football clubs who would rather blame 'society' than be held accountable for their fans acting like scumbags. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

To play Devil’s Advocate about home clubs being punished for the behaviour of away fans- Morton failed to control the Falkirk support the other week when Zak Rudden scored by not policing the away end sufficiently. Of course more blame should be apportioned to Falkirk for the behaviour of their fans, but to say Morton have made no failings there would be completely wrong.

On a side note, I’m interested to see Partick Thistle are in favour of strict liability. I wonder how they’d react to a points deduction for their fans chanting “f*ck the pope and f*ck the queen”.

Archived