Drinkin' at the fitbaw - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Drinkin' at the fitbaw

It's not something I personally would partake in. I normally find that the 2 hours out in the fresh air concentrating on the game, especially if it's been an early start, does you the world of good. That been said, supporters should have the option available to them. If clubs can provide somewhere inside the stadium where fans can watch the early kick off and get a few pints then the clubs stand to make money from it. 

The only stumbling block I can see is Rangers* fans being unable to behave themselves when teams with Catholic links beat them in cup finals.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I feel like a big part of the problem with this discussion is that the authorities are too scared to have different rules for certain (ahem) clubs.

From a lower league perspective, there's no good reason at all why you couldn't let fans come in early and have a few pints before the game on 99% of occasions. Even if it was only until 15 minutes before kick-off and for a 20 minute window at half-time or the likes, it just seems a bit pointless to not let it happen.

The same probably applies to most top flight matches, but the problem comes in because nobody wants to point out that Rangers fans (in particular) are absolute mutants who can't be trusted to behave. 

Long story short is that if common sense is applied and certain games are excluded then it's at least worth a season's trial.

This maybe isn't strictly related, but I always find the lack of a fan-zone type thing outside Hampden for Scotland games to be a wee bit embarrassing (if that's the right word). One of the things I love most about going to visit big stadiums in other countries is the atmosphere outside, you'll go an hour or two before kick-off and there's already a big crowd gathered having a wee bevvy and a sing-song which makes for a brilliant atmosphere. Have a can outside Hampen and you'll have polis jumping out of helicopters.

Surely something like Toryglen or Lesser Hampden could be turned in to a pre-match party, get everybody close to the stadium and try and generate a bit of a buzz.

AWMSC

Lifting the blanket ban with exclusions for certain clubs (or matches) will never happen.

The outcry would be massive and very public, bringing the attention of the world to our society's failings.

No-one in authority will want to lift the lid on Scotland's secret shame(s), especially leading up to the Euros.

Lifting the blanket ban with exclusions for certain clubs (or matches) will never happen.

The outcry would be massive and very public, bringing the attention of the world to our society's failings.

No-one in authority will want to lift the lid on Scotland's secret shame(s), especially leading up to the Euros.

Worth noting that although UEFA has all manner of beer sponsors, the last Euros only had non-alcoholic beer on sale in the stadiums. They won't want any chance of alcohol-fueled bother because it reflects badly on the sponsors as well. When professional football was a community-level business, rather than just another cog in global capitalism, this was a discussion we could have had, but brand safety will win out ahead of fans every time. Breweries will not want to risk a negative headline and that's the bottom line.

EOho8Pw.png

Don't really see the issue. No one will get any more drunk then they would be anyway after one or two overpriced weak beers.

It wouldn't be available right through the game and if people want to drink they'll do it in a pub so why not give clubs a bit more revenue?

For me its more the point of having the choice to do so, as opposed to arguing whether or not it does anyone good. There'll be folk who won't have a beer pre-match but might enjoy one whilst watching the game - that option should be available. 

There's also a massive financial incentive for clubs here as well. I reckon the sale of beer would provide some much-needed revenue to clubs.

It's about time people are trusted and we got rid of this blanket mentality that all football fans are scum. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Indeed, a couple of £4 Fosters in plastic cups isn't going to be the cause of any bother in or around stadia.

If anything people would probably drink less if they were in the ground and a bit of a sing-song going on than they would in a pub, and what's more is that the clubs can monitor people better. 

If we were starting from a position that nobody drank before games then fine, keep the ban, but people go and bevvy anyway so you might as well be in charge of it and make money.

AWMSC

If anything people would probably drink less if they were in the ground and a bit of a sing-song going on than they would in a pub, and what's more is that the club's can monitor people better. 

If we were starting from a position that nobody drank before games then fine, keep the ban, but people go and bevvy anyway so you might as well be in charge of it and make money.

This. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Even if they do lift the ban, I'd be surprised if there's any more than just a few who take up the offer. 

Doesn't matter whether its a few folks, a few hundred or thousand - it's the point that it should be allowed. 

I'd prefer the option available to me than not and for the powers that be to change the default position that football fans are scum. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Doesn't matter whether its a few folks, a few hundred or thousand - it's the point that it should be allowed. 

I'd prefer the option available to me than not and for the powers that be to change the default position that football fans are scum. 

I was referring to a few clubs not punters.

With all the costs involved, I doubt it would be worthwhile for the majority of clubs outside of the usual hospitality areas.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

There's absolutely nothing to support those ridiculous statements. The vast majority of people Scotland could not give a toss either way - in fact, they're probably not even aware that drinking alcohol is banned at football matches (but allowed for egg-chasers). 

The idea that it is somehow shameful or unusual that Scots as a north European people happen to drink a lot marks you out as a knicker-wetting Helen Lovejoy type as well. Rest assured that the chattering classes of, say, Helsinki are both fully aware of Scotland's relationship with alcohol and couldn't give a toss either way. So a solid 0/10 post from yourself there.

Worth noting that although UEFA has all manner of beer sponsors, the last Euros only had non-alcoholic beer on sale in the stadiums. They won't want any chance of alcohol-fueled bother because it reflects badly on the sponsors as well. When professional football was a community-level business, rather than just another cog in global capitalism, this was a discussion we could have had, but brand safety will win out ahead of fans every time. Breweries will not want to risk a negative headline and that's the bottom line.

UEFA has already lifted the ban on serving alcoholic beverages in their flagship competitions from this season. Perhaps they reckon that Hamish Husband and company can't be trusted to keep the peace while letting CSKA Moscow and the likes get battered in. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If it were to happen, I reckon that instead of the usual people who decry that you cant make money from owning a football club, there will be a whole new tier of investment in the game which we've never had before from speculators who would be interested in the barrelage as much as the gate receipts. It may lead to some clubs admission prices being part subsidised by either breweries wanting a larger turnout or even the bar takings themselves. Bar takings could become as important as TV revenue or Kit sponsorship, or even more so, which for clubs outwith the SPFL Premier Division is very little to begin with anyway.

Beer companies would pay to sign up clubs for exclusivity deals which would permit them to only sell their brands in a similar way they do to freehold pub owners, which could mean security of income streams etc. Less clubs going into administration.

The Drinks Industry in Scotland make an absolute fortune out of Scottish football for very little in return - for the hundreds of millions of pounds that Scottish football supporters give this industry over the course of the year what do they do to reciprocate other than Tennents SFA sponsorship which is a paltry couple of hundred grand at best and mere buttons in comparison with what they make in return. It's time for that industry to step up to the plate like their counterparts do in other countries.

*insert signature here*

I was referring to a few clubs not punters.

With all the costs involved, I doubt it would be worthwhile for the majority of clubs outside of the usual hospitality areas.

What are 'all the costs' involved and why would they make it not worthwhile 'for the majority of clubs'?  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I feel like a big part of the problem with this discussion is that the authorities are too scared to have different rules for certain (ahem) clubs.

From a lower league perspective, there's no good reason at all why you couldn't let fans come in early and have a few pints before the game on 99% of occasions. Even if it was only until 15 minutes before kick-off and for a 20 minute window at half-time or the likes, it just seems a bit pointless to not let it happen.

The same probably applies to most top flight matches, but the problem comes in because nobody wants to point out that Rangers fans (in particular) are absolute mutants who can't be trusted to behave. 

Long story short is that if common sense is applied and certain games are excluded then it's at least worth a season's trial.

This maybe isn't strictly related, but I always find the lack of a fan-zone type thing outside Hampden for Scotland games to be a wee bit embarrassing (if that's the right word). One of the things I love most about going to visit big stadiums in other countries is the atmosphere outside, you'll go an hour or two before kick-off and there's already a big crowd gathered having a wee bevvy and a sing-song which makes for a brilliant atmosphere. Have a can outside Hampden and you'll have polis jumping out of helicopters.

Surely something like Toryglen or Lesser Hampden could be turned in to a pre-match party, get everybody close to the stadium and try and generate a bit of a buzz.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*insert signature here*

Archived