Is It Time For The Rae Family To Move Step Aside? - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Is It Time For The Rae Family To Move Step Aside?

Malt

Is it time to go?   

88 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for the Rae family to step aside at Greenock Morton Football Club?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they have taken the club as far as they are willing which is not the same as can. Ultimately however it is their money and they are entitled to do with it what they want.

However if they feel they have gone as far as they are willing they should make it as easy as they can for someone with the club's best interests at heart to take over.

Whether or not such a person or business exists I don't know but if they put it about that the club IS for sale we would surely find out.

And if no one wants it we've got a club that people know the owners don't want. People might not have confidence in things now but that situation would be much worse and a more widespread concern.

I said it in another thread but by trying to address the losses (whether people agree with how it's being done or not), the club will become more attractive to buyers.

He set up the youth academy and community Trust and only took over as ceo about a year ago. That's not a lot of time to fix something that hasn't been run particularly well for 15 years.

He's been a director since October 2015 and two other new directors were appointed in 2016. Add them to the two already directors and that looks like plenty of time, and people, to turn things around.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I said it in another thread but by trying to address the losses (whether people agree with how it's being done or not), the club will become more attractive to buyers.

Not if it's circling the drain in League One at the time. 

The future of the club shouldn't involve it being the sole domain of the Raes or any other owner. The goal should be to move the club towards a genuine board of directors as it had before. That's not going to miraculously solve the club's outstanding issues, but the genuine input of several local businessmen (ideally freshened up on a regular basis) would lead to better decisions than the wild fluctuations and eventual stagnation that have characterised the Rae era. There could even be a place for a credible supporters' body to have representation on the board, but one would probably have to be set up first. 

There is no clear path to that outcome and too many decisions lie ahead that could take the club towards disaster than people should be comfortable with. This late-period 'retrenchment to get the Raes' money back' stagnation is a rotten start though and for that reason the Raes leaving is preferable to the status quo. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Not if it's circling the drain in League One at the time.

The future of the club shouldn't involve it being the sole domain of the Raes or any other owner. The goal should be to move the club towards a genuine board of directors as it had before. That's not going to miraculously solve the club's outstanding issues, but the genuine input of several local businessmen (ideally freshened up on a regular basis) would lead to better decisions than the wild fluctuations and eventual stagnation that have characterised the Rae era. There could even be a place for a credible supporters' body to have representation on the board, but one would probably have to be set up first.

There is no clear path to that outcome and too many decisions lie ahead that could take the club towards disaster than people should be comfortable with. This late-period 'retrenchment to get the Raes' money back' stagnation is a rotten start though and for that reason the Raes leaving is preferable to the status quo.

They are heading towards having a board like that though. Like I said, it's early days and I think it's a bit of a transition period at the moment (possibly with new owners already on the horizon) but I don't think we'll be dropping down leagues.

They are heading towards having a board like that though. Like I said, it's early days and I think it's a bit of a transition period at the moment (possibly with new owners already on the horizon) but I don't think we'll be dropping down leagues.

They didn't think we would be dropping down leagues last time. That turned out well and cost the club a bloody fortune in the process.

Do you think there are new owners imminent?

If that 'transition'period has an end goal of flooding the first team with kids then no fucking thanks.

We're a professional football club; not a creche.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Hawke came on the scene and said 8-8-8 and it never happened.

Now we are looking to push youth aggressively but, as I have said, our youth play in the third tier and won't be playing against the elite week on week and, in my estimation, won't have the same quality of youth as a St Mirren etc

Like others, I think the youth is being vieeed as:looked upon as the most cost efficient means of running the club but the last youth prospect we sold was back in 1995!

We have made 60k, if they, on transfers under Rae's regime and zero youth prospects have been sold. We are coming across as desperate to find a gold

Nugget to punt at auction.

If that 'transition'period has an end goal of flooding the first team with kids then no ****ing thanks.

I'm pretty sure it will have the caveat of' if they're good enough'. If we can get a team of players that have come up through our youth teams and have played together and are successful then that would be preferable to journeymen every year.

There has to be a balance but there's nothing wrong with aiming to have most players coming though out own youth system if they have the quality.

If that 'transition'period has an end goal of flooding the first team with kids then no ****ing thanks.

Exactly. A core of solid pros supplemented by youths is the way forward. Much like the St Mirren model.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I'm pretty sure it will have the caveat of' if they're good enough'. If we can get a team of players that have come up through our youth teams and have played together and are successful then that would be preferable to journeymen every year.

There has to be a balance but there's nothing wrong with aiming to have most players coming though out own youth system if they have the quality.

Chances are they will be equal to the shite we'll be able to afford it we keep going down that route.

It's a pish approach. We're a professional football club. Surely it'd be more beneficial to continue to develop players at a steady place - potentially unearthing a gem worthy of sell on - that to flood the first team with them because it's cheaper?

What LargsTON said is correct.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Exactly. A core of solid pros supplemented by youths is the way forward. Much like the St Mirren model.

Has anyone said we wouldn't have solid pros though? To me there's no harm in aiming to have a competitive team made up of players that have came though our own system but I'm sure they'll know deep down that's not likely and it will be suplimented from elsewhere.

I guess the problem is that there's not a lot of trust in how things are being run so people are going to be sceptical.

Hawke came on the scene and said 8-8-8 and it never happened.

Now we are looking to push youth aggressively but, as I have said, our youth play in the third tier and won't be playing against the elite week on week and, in my estimation, won't have the same quality of youth as a St Mirren etc

Like others, I think the youth is being vieeed as:looked upon as the most cost efficient means of running the club but the last youth prospect we sold was back in 1995!

We have made 60k, if they, on transfers under Rae's regime and zero youth prospects have been sold. We are coming across as desperate to find a gold

Nugget to punt at auction.

Aye, but bear in mind we gave a chunk of that back to Tidser in wages when we decided to employ him to do nothing for 6 months after someone forgot/couldn't be arsed confirming that he was even fucking eligible to play. Before we rejuvenated the youth system we had players such as Millar, McAlister, Tidser and Bachirou come through the club, before moving on and playing at a higher level. £60k from those four players leaving is absolutely criminal. 

The new long-term aim of the club is 'sustainability', which is simply a buzzword for Rae chasing his £2m before riding off into the sunset. Surely even someone like Hawke can recognise that supporters will, eventually, see through the bluster and recognise it's a budget cut. His 8-8-8 model crashed and burned the first time he proposed it, this is the same blueprint with new management jargon attached. In regards to the 'if they're good enough' caveat - when Duffy moves on, Rae and Hawke will only employ someone who is willing to have a worryingly high percentage of their squad made up of the output of a third-rate youth system. That is not a model that will reap any form of credible achievement 

And that's before we even entertain the notion of Dougie throwing cash around when his creche team are sitting bottom of the table one January. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived