Team of the Decade - Attackers - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Team of the Decade - Attackers

Admin

TOTD  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Attackers

• Peter Weatherson
    • Brian Graham
    • Kevin Kelbie
    • Derek Lyle
    • Archie Campbell
    • Peter MacDonald
    • Colin 'Alan' McMenamin
    • Kabba-Modou Cham
    • Dougie Imrie
    • Stefan McCluskey
    • Declan McManus
    • Bobby Barr
    • Denny Johnstone
    • Paul McMullan
    • Jai Quitongo
    • Aidan Nesbitt
    • Gary Oliver
    • Kudus Oyenuga
    • Lawrence Shankland
    • Scott Tiffoney
    • Bob McHugh
    • Greg Kiltie
    • Nicky Cadden
    • Cameron Salkeld
    • John Sutton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been overseas for 7 years so I'm largely reliant on second-hand opinions, but is Jai Quitongo really only deserving of one vote?

Up until his injury the general consensus on this board seemed to be that he was a top-flight player (if not better) in the making.

Wasn't even deserving of one vote, nor ever likely to be a great deal better than a Championship player at best.

AWMSC

I’m far more surprised by Johnstone only getting one vote than I am by Quitongo.

Quitongo broke through looking like he had massive potential which he ultimately failed to deliver on. Johnstone scored 17 goals in a season at this level, 14 in the league, with the overall total being more than any other player managed in the second tier and the league total only being matched by MacDonald (although Peaso did it in far fewer games).

I suppose spending a season injured then being released more recently made people forget his impact in that season, but the notion that Peter Weatherson or Bob McHugh were better than him is wild.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I’m far more surprised by Johnstone only getting one vote than I am by Quitongo.

Quitongo broke through looking like he had massive potential which he ultimately failed to deliver on. Johnstone scored 17 goals in a season at this level, 14 in the league, with the overall total being more than any other player managed in the second tier and the league total only being matched by MacDonald (although Peaso did it in far fewer games).

I suppose spending a season injured then being released more recently made people forget his impact in that season, but the notion that Peter Weatherson or Bob McHugh were better than him is wild.

Archie Campbell once scored 11 goals in 8 games but he, rather deservedly, only got one vote as well. His 12 goals (excluding penalties) in the league in 12/13 matches Denny's 12 from 15/16 - and he did it from (I think) 16 starts and 8 sub appearances compared to Denny's 35 starts. 

Johnstone obviously had more to his game than Campbell, but I thought that a flurry of goals in the second half of the season made him look better than he actually was for us (in a similar way that Campbell's 11 in 8 did ). 

Johnstone was infuriatingly pish for the first half of that season. I think I called him one of the worst strikers I’d seen play for us at one point, which might’ve been an overreaction, but it did take him a while to actually look like he belonged out there.

Archived