No attendance at footie until Jan 2021 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

No attendance at footie until Jan 2021

Ton4life

Well that's put the cat among the pigeons.

Gov medical advisor today indicating we should expect social distancing until at least Jan 2021.

Discussion by scientific panel on channel 4 tonight indicates no chance of Covid-19 jab this side of Christmas and more like 18 months before they can produce large quantities of the vaccine, if successful in developing one.

No chance we are getting to Cappielow to see a live game then before next year.

So what's the Government lockdown plan?

Players tested weekly and games behind closed doors?

Will supporters be willing to pay per view for internet access to games, will be cheaper with no travel costs but can Morton survive?

When will life get back to normal?

Life and income for those in the GIG economy is well and truly down the pan.

Thoughts!

Gov medical advisor today indicating we should expect social distancing until at least Jan 2021.

Discussion by scientific panel on channel 4 tonight indicates no chance of Covid-19 jab this side of Christmas and more like 18 months before they can produce large quantities of the vaccine, if successful in developing one.

Will supporters be willing to pay per view for internet access to games, will be cheaper with no travel costs but can Morton survive?

Thoughts!

Is this for definite or is it just some junior civil servant type bumping his gums?

When it becomes a definite thing that's when I'll get concerned, or even remotely interested.

*insert signature here*

Thoughts!

My thoughts are that you made a lot of shit up and passed it off as facts.

That does seem to be the noise coming from the FM/Scottish Government (who are due to publish something tomorrow I think on exit strategy) and, today, from the Chief Medical Officer in England. Might be an exercise in expectation management but it’s fair to say clubs now need to plan as if social distancing will be in place at least for the remainder of this calendar year.

If social distancing is in place, football is impossible anyway. How do you play football if you have to be 2m from your opponent? I don’t know when we will be back at Cappielow but unlikely to be before mass vaccination has been carried out. August 2021 if we’re lucky.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

My thoughts are that you made a lot of shit up and passed it off as facts.

Keep up with the government statements not your social media account.

Have a look back at what was said on Wednesday by the Chief medical officer England, Scotland will follow this strategy.

Also look at the iplayer for the channel 4 programme.

Yes we will get a clearer picture once the Scotish Gov. Publish their strategy.

So maybe you could give it a view before ranting on and provide a comment on our response to games without fans.

I am lucky I was married to a bioscience research fellow and have a fair knowledge of what's required in developing a vaccine so sadly I fear no footie attendance in the near future.

Not playing at all and remaining in furlough would be better than closed doors games for the vast majority of Scottish clubs. Clubs outside the top flight and many in it simply wouldn't come close to covering their running costs if they were having to pay players and staff in full again while their only income came from the numbers paying to watch games streamed online. Having no games would also prevent players risking their welfare, and their families, by asking them to participate in a contact sport while people are supposed to be distancing.

However, that's only workable if the furlough scheme remains available as long as distancing is enforced. If the government stop covering wages when lockdown is lifted but distancing remains in place then clubs will have to pay players and staff again and have to find a way to meet these costs, but that's really impossible for Scottish clubs without fans attending games.

Clubs with hardly any players under contract who are largely staffed by volunteers could go into abeyance until games start up again if the season was to be delayed until distancing ends, but that's not possible for full-time clubs with many players already under contract and permanent non-playing staff to protect. With or without games clubs like us are fucked in that scenario.

If that comes to pass, owners with deep pockets and/or fans funding clubs through schemes like MCT will be the only things preventing liquidation for many clubs.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Nicola Sturgeon had already mentioned on Monday, not to expect a return to the status quo any time soon.

Ms Sturgeon said: “People shouldn’t be under any expectation large scale mass gatherings will be starting any time soon.

She added: “Some form of social distancing is going to be required up to a point where a vaccine is available.”

She said we cannot risk a resurgence of the virus.

Ms Sturgeon added: “I know that is not good news for the majority of people who sport part of life and our culture. It would be wrong to give false presumptions about football matches.”

She also said that there was an issue with playing matches behind closed doors and television them as people could gather together to watch.

I fear no footie attendance in the near future.

You started a new thread, rather than posting in the existing coronavirus discussion, explicitly stating 'no attendance at football until Jan 2021' as if some sort of resolution had been passed.

You Are now saying 'i fear none in the near future' and posting Sturgeon's comments about any time soon.

We have no idea what it will look like and what form of distancing will be in place in a few months time. It doesn't look promising, but the explicit nature of the thread was presumptuous.

You also called it footie which is the mark of a wrong'un.

Thoughts!

Ton4Life found:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dk-d2tqW0AAKphp?format=jpg&name=large

*insert signature here*

The decision about next season is not entirely in the Scottish Government's hands. If UEFA for example persist on their plan of completing this seasons outstanding European games (perhaps just the CL) by the autumn to set up another set of European competitions in 20/21 then it would take a brave or foolish government to tell Scottish clubs to sit them out and for the leagues to waive their right to funds from these tournaments in the middle of an economic crisis. And to play European games you need to have some sort of domestic competition up and running at the same time as well.

Let's bear in mind here that the Scottish government was all set to allow 50,000+ people to attend an Old Firm game just six weeks ago until the SFA took action itself to postpone fixtures but now wants people to believe that Montrose v Forfar will pose an existential risk in September. When the policy changes again the message will flip with it overnight, so I'd take any pronouncements about what will be required in the months to come with a shovel of salt.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

and UEFA etc. They convene meetings and say statements will be made that will clarify the situation for outdoor events including football. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t recall such a definitive statement being made since the lockdown was announced. Our football authorities appear to be waiting for such clarity to allow them to plan their next step. All we hear however is “Sturgeon hinted this, Hancock hinted this and UEFA hinted that”. Nothing that would allow us to make an informed decision to end the season or otherwise.

The decision about next season is not entirely in the Scottish Government's hands. If UEFA for example persist on their plan of completing this seasons outstanding European games (perhaps just the CL) by the autumn to set up another set of European competitions in 20/21 then it would take a brave or foolish government to tell Scottish clubs to sit them out and for the leagues to waive their right to funds from these tournaments in the middle of an economic crisis. And to play European games you need to have some sort of domestic competition up and running at the same time as well.

Let's bear in mind here that the Scottish government was all set to allow 50,000+ people to attend an Old Firm game just six weeks ago until the SFA took action itself to postpone fixtures but now wants people to believe that Montrose v Forfar will pose an existential risk in September. When the policy changes again the message will flip with it overnight, so I'd take any pronouncements about what will be required in the months to come with a shovel of salt.

Why is the TON in your username capitalised?

Archived