The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doyle is a good right back but he is being hung out to dry by Duffy who relies on him to be our attacking outlet.

Thomson is a weird one. I was delighted when we signed him but it just hasn't worked out. There's definitely a player there as we saw last season at Dumbarton.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Keep:

Gaston

McGowan (if he proves his fitness)

O'ware

Lamie

Iredale

Strapp

Gasparotto

Kilday (if he proves his fitness)

Harkins

Murdoch

Tidser

Tiffoney

Ross (if possible)

Oliver

Quitongo

Go:

Doyle

Russell

Forbes

Fraser

Thomson

McHugh

Baird

Not fussed either way:

Brennan

Langan

Armour

Doyle is a good right back but he is being hung out to dry by Duffy who relies on him to be our attacking outlet.

Thomson is a weird one. I was delighted when we signed him but it just hasn't worked out. There's definitely a player there as we saw last season at Dumbarton.

Doyle has been the weak link at the back. He is not good enough for this level.

I think fans can be unfair on Russell. He was very good in his last appearance at left back and has shown that he is capable of that. Generally he has been ok if not great there this season. He's not a left or central midfield player though, and his form has suffered since Duffy started playing him out of position.

Iredale and Russell would be good competition for left back next season.

I wouldn't be fussed if tiffoney left to be honest. I know he's still young and learning but he just doesn't do enough with the ball in my opinion. We need players who are better than what we have.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I think fans can be unfair on Russell. He was very good in his last appearance at left back and has shown that he is capable of that. Generally he has been ok if not great there this season. He's not a left or central midfield player though, and his form has suffered since Duffy started playing him out of position.

Iredale and Russell would be good competition for left back next season.

Was discussing Russell with my mates at the game today- I think we all accept that Iredale should be the first choice at left back, and if he’s prepared to have no cover for the hapless Doyle at right back then it’s maybe somewhere we should be taking a risk on (certainly more than on the other side of the park). We’ve got Strapp and even Lamie that can cover there if worst comes to worst anyway.

Duffy’s tried too hard to give him game time and turn his confidence around. It hasn’t worked and at the expense of the team as a whole imho. The best case scenario for him should be a loan spell to League One or Two in the first half of next season. This division’s far too cut theoat for us to be risking him.

Was discussing Russell with my mates at the game today- I think we all accept that Iredale should be the first choice at left back, and if he’s prepared to have no cover for the hapless Doyle at right back then it’s maybe somewhere we should be taking a risk on (certainly more than on the other side of the park). We’ve got Strapp and even Lamie that can cover there if worst comes to worst anyway.

Duffy’s tried too hard to give him game time and turn his confidence around. It hasn’t worked and at the expense of the team as a whole imho. The best case scenario for him should be a loan spell to League One or Two in the first half of next season. This division’s far too cut theoat for us to be risking him.

I don't hugely rate Lamie at left back and I haven't been anything like convinced by Strapp at this stage. You're maybe right that Russell is a luxury we can't afford though (and Iredale would be my first choice) but I do think it would be good to have that competition in the squad (I'm maybe being too unrealistic there).

Gasparotto and Fraser should not return to us under any circumstances - they're simply not good enough.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

My problem with Russell is that while he looks decent going forward, his tendency to get caught in possession when trying to defend lets him down.  I actually thought he was doing OK at centre mid or wherever he was meant to be yesterday, in the first half at least.  he has ability, no doubt about it, but he needs coached to iron out the things he's not doing well enough.  given that Iredale to me looks like a far better option at left back, it's either midfield or right back for russell (if he can play right back).  Sadly Doyle, although a great guy who is adored by my 13 year old daughter, isn't convincing at RB but I've seen a lot worse and he's worth a place in the squad for morale.  I would get rid of Baird, McHugh and Thomson, all of whom are just not good enough as everyone has know since July.  Actually most of the rest of the permanent squad are probably worth keeping, which says a lot about how poorly they have been set up by the manager for most of this season, and since the 2-0 win at Inverness in particular.  Jury out on Luca but we maybe need to see how Kilday is before we ditch him.

When you actually run through the squad, we should be doing much better - the conclusion is that the lack of any strikers in the squad (Jai apart were he fit) has destroyed our season.  Duffy's failure to remedy that, and his half hearted attempt with Baird (I know he has scored a few goals) should be a sacking offence but probably won't be.

Hard to know if it's money that is holding us back, or just incompetence.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Stay

Gaston

Iredale

O'Ware

Lamie

Kilday (if he can prove his fitness, if not, release)

Harkins

Tidser

Murdoch

Tiffoney

Quitongo

Release

Brennan

Doyle

Russell

Gasparotto

Forbes

Thomson

McHugh

Oliver

The 3 loanees I wouldn't be bothered to see leaving. Ross has been the best of the three, but he's not been spectacular or anything.

We're unbeaten in games that Ross has started. Not saying that's necessarily cause and effect but the difference in form with and without him is striking. In fact we only one once (against Brechin) in games where he started on the bench.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived