Who would you keep from current squad for next season? - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who would you keep from current squad for next season?

74GMFC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s what we called him from when he made his debut at around 16 or 17 years old, then was just about ever present and gave us his absolute all for several seasons. I don’t understand why some Ton “fans” want to give such a player a hard time. I find it quite tiresome and depressing.

By the time he left he didn't look like a player who was just to good not to be at a higher level, he just looked like a player we were well rid off. A glorified Mark Russell, if you will.

He certainly had his moments first time round but over the piece his contribution wasn't really at that great. He was part of multiple failures and quite frankly, 300 games for the club flatters him.

It’s all subjective but I thought he was excellent for us first time around - one of the last I’d have looked to get rid of from that era and deserved the really decent career that he went on to have because he worked hard for it. Can’t say much about this season because I haven’t been to enough games - funnily enough the most recent game I did see, Ross County at home, I thought he was instrumental alongside Tidser and Millar in turning the game around.

That’s what we called him from when he made his debut at around 16 or 17 years old, then was just about ever present and gave us his absolute all for several seasons. I don’t understand why some Ton “fans” want to give such a player a hard time. I find it quite tiresome and depressing.

Why do you use the word "fans" in inverted commas?

And why are you being so precious about McAlister when just a few days ago you said he didn't have the requisite criteria to play under JJ and that the only player you'd pay in to see was Tidser?

"Oh, Jimbo, I'm a huge fan and what they're saying about you is terrible, except you aren't good enough and you're not worth the price of admission."

Either defend the guy or don't, but you can't ride the fence.

EOho8Pw.png

It's a myth that Mcalister was part of a huge success story at Morton anyway. He played almost every game in a period where we were more often than not blowing promotion from the seaside leagues or battling relegating in the championship, and he'd grown stale and lacked confidence long before he left as well.

I've nothing against him personally but based on performances it's arguable that he's not earned a place in the starting line up in one of the most brutal to watch morton teams in a generation.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

It's a myth that Mcalister was part of a huge success story at Morton anyway. He played almost every game in a period where we were more often than not blowing promotion from the seaside leagues or battling relegating in the championship, and he'd grown stale and lacked confidence long before he left as well.

Aye, that's largely how I see it. He was certainly a worker and of all the players from that period, he probably done more to earn himself a career at a higher level than most but...meh. He didn't actually do a great deal in large spells of it and when he left it wasn't as a legend. Guys like McAlister rattled up their appearance counts by being part of rubbish teams at a level below what the club should have been at, so I struggle to get too excited about any of that lot's statistics.

AWMSC

I've nothing against him personally but based on performances it's arguable that he's not earned a place in the starting line up in one of the most brutal to watch morton teams in a generation.

The truth is also that McAlister played at left midfield or left wing back for us, and would go onto have a much better career as a centre mid (including winning player of the year awards at Dundee and being quite popular there). 

The truth is also that McAlister played at left midfield or left wing back for us, and would go onto have a much better career as a centre mid (including winning player of the year awards at Dundee and being quite popular there). 

I would agree with that, which is exactly the point people like myself are making. He shouldn't be heralded as a legend that gets leeway from our fans because of an adequate career at left midfield for us, which means on his return to us as a central midfielder he should be judged solely on performances, and they haven't been good enough regardless of how well he was liked at Dundee in that position. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I would agree with that, which is exactly the point people like myself are making. He shouldn't be heralded as a legend that gets leeway from our fans because of an adequate career at left midfield for us, which means on his return to us as a central midfielder he should be judged solely on performances, and they haven't been good enough regardless of how well he was liked at Dundee in that position. 

It was clear that McAlister was a talented player in his first spell with us, and I do have some good memories of that time (particularly the Killie match), but I also thought it was clear that he wasn't creative or clever enough to play that attacking role. I remember him playing once in the centre of midfield for us and calling for him to have more game time there. I thought he was badly misused in his first spell with us. The way I see it he was one of the better players we had in a period where we underachieved, and we failed to get as much out of him as we could have. He certainly hasn't been given any leeway, the opposite it would seem. 

I also don't think he has been nearly as bad as people are making out this season. I've been watching the way he plays because of the criticism and I'm still not seeing it. He's been ok, and better than at least half the team IMO. He has been singled out for criticism far more than his performances have deserved. 

I don't think anyone sets out to discredit McAlister or anyone else. It's just all about differing opinions and how we see things on the pitch at matches.

Some might use colourful language but that's just the way these forums are.

Just to clarify, I don’t think Jim McAlister is a Morton legend. Neither do I think we need to go to the other extreme and slate a player who may not be the most talented, but certainly gave us his all for several seasons. Our last 20 years or so have been mediocre at best, so I don’t understand how we can pick one player out for such strong criticism. If I was to pick out players for criticism over those years, McAlister wouldn’t be on my list. I may have been a bit harsh in saying I would only keep Tidser and Miller from the current squad, but I also qualified it slightly by saying it’s difficult to tell unless the players are used in their natural positions, including McAlister. My reference to “fans” may also have been harsh as we’re all entitled to our opinions. I’m hopeful the new players will add the balance that will improve the players that JJ inherited.

It's hardly as if McAlister's name has just been plucked out the blue and he's being accused of being Ray McKinnon. He's a current player and the club captain, there's no reason at all why his contribution to the club shouldn't be discussed and no reason at all why it can't be viewed critically.

AWMSC

That’s what we called him from when he made his debut at around 16 or 17 years old

No, that’s what you called him.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In what alternate universe can we afford to spend a senior first team player's wage on a 3rd/4th choice striker who isn't even very good at his one trick anyway? How many iterations of utter pish do we have to suffer through until people realise that packing the squad with mediocre senior players as 'good backup options' explains why we then get stuck with dung like Tumilty playing every single week in the other, neglected areas of the pitch? 

Building a proper squad is about balancing priorities, not just cherry-picking the best from a mediocre lot playing right now. McHugh was brought in to be a first team regular and isn't good enough to keep that status for next season. So unless he's willing to take a massive and frankly unreasonable pay cut for this stage in his playing career, he must go. Loanees at the beginning of their careers (such as Dallas) are a much better source of squad cover that allows you to push for better quality, permanent additions with the wages saved. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived