Australian Open - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Australian Open

k-ton

Will anyone else be following the tennis this fortnight?

Been some good action so far.. cracking 5 setter yesterday between Fat Dave and Lleyton Hewitt... Just watched Federer wobble in a major way from two sets up against Simon.. as usual the jammy **** squeezed through in the end..

Hoping someone (anyone!) other than Nadal or Federer wins it though..

The famous man looked at the red cup.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so - but I'm no more (or less confident) for him than I am normally at a Major tournament. He's good enough but there's about 5 guys that'll all fancy their chances and 2 that know how to get it done better than the rest.. If the draw stays kind (it really is quite straightforward till QF stage anyway) he should be there or there abouts..

I do wonder how he'd react if he reached a third Major final and his opponent was Federer again?

Was at the Murray match tonight and he looked relatively comfortable throughout. The other boy - despite being the same age - was puffing heavily from early doors and drenched in sweat throughout (temp warm but not roasting by that point) whereas Murray always looked easy.

He'll need to do much much better against the big guys but it's all about getting through these first few rounds I suppose.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

A bit harsh to say he'll need to do much better no?! He only dropped a handful of games and was in control throughout.. he looked good when he was agressive and his usual defensive game was there too, fitness looks fine.. all in all he's lots of reasons to be confident.

Like you say, everyone is just taking care to navigate the early rounds this week - tournament proper always starts in week 2!

Yeah possible a bit harsh but he's probably still getting into the groove of the tournament and doing just enough to get through. Good level of support there for him as well, plenty of Aussies getting behind him as well apparently.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

I'm following it, as ever, and there have been a few crackers already. Federer's five setter with Gilles Simon has been the stand-out. Really enjoyed Hewitt-Nalbandian as well. Fed has done this a few times in the opening weeks of slams - his opponent got as far as match point in the first round at Wimbledon last summer - and of course he crashed out in the quarters down south and in Paris! I genuinely think he will struggle to win a Slam this season. Happy to be wrong, he is still a tremendous player and you want him in the second week.

As for Andy Murray, he's not going to be far away, he is a really world class player and - this is helpful I feel - a good natured guy. This is coming across a lot more this year and can't hurt. He is more comfortable with it all and is less guarded. I think he simply lacked experience in his first Slam final against Federer in New York in 2008 and last year didn't make the most of his breaks against him Melbourne. A lot of idiots wrote him, but come on, he's not like Henman or Rusedski, who were never going to win much. I think he should be fine right through to Nadal in the semis, beyond that, it's hard to tell this time. Nadal is playing it down but he wants to be holding all four titles at the same time!

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Daniela Hantuchova

09_daniela-hantuchova_09.jpg

Jelena Jankovic

jelena_jankovic_tape_la_pose_jelena_jank

Yep, I'm certainly enjoying it.

wouldn't want to pick a fight with whoever made a mess of Daniela's thigh in that shot!! :blink: :lol:

As for Jankovic, mmmmmmm that pic looks airbrushed to the power N, apart from those wee moles - but who cares?? :wub:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

John Lloyd on the Beeb's commentary was spot on, Lopez was resigned to losing from the off. He put a bit more effort in when it go to the third set, but piece of piss for a guy like Murray. Nadal had a wee bit of resistance from his opponent, but swept him aside quite easily. Looking forward to the next round on Monday, when it gets down to the nitty gritty!

As for the above, I quite like Zvonareva, looks a bit boggin on the court, but scrubs up nice. Really like Wozniacki :)

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Murray through in four, 7-5 6-3 6-7 (3-7) 6-3 . Few tough sets there, Dolgopolov looks like one for the future. It can only get tougher, Nadal will surely win against Ferrer later. I think Murray can beat him this time!

Nadal goes out... shame for him but I think injuries are going to feature more and more in his career now.

Murray's head to head vs Ferrer is 2-3 but Ferrer's three wins have all been on clay... Murray's 2 wins were on hard courts.. Murray has to be favourite to make his 3rd major final..

Yip, Nadal retired when Murray was on his way to defeating him exactly a year ago in the quarters. It's a real shame, but I reckon he will have another cracking clay court season from March onward and win the French again if fit.

Ferrer is a good player, he can beat him though and I would like to see a Murray-Federer final again, third time lucky and all that!

Archived