Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

You made the claim. :huh:

Not going to back it up?

its-over-9000-com-18067893.png

Edit to add:

:bouncy: :lol: :P :bouncy:

GIFRUY

Edit to add again:

I see that his wierdo coward puppetmaster is trying (and failing) to give him hauners. What a pair of losers.

:bouncy: :lol: :P :bouncy:

*insert signature here*

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retaining their squad is going to prove a massive challenge for Livingston. If they lose Hopkin, and a few key players go elsewhere for more money then they could be looking at an embarrassing season. They'll be left with a choice of throwing money at the problem or sticking with what they've got and risking a Brechin-esque season. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

If they lose Hopkin and decide on a 'cash in for a season and not attempt competitiveness' approach then there's every chance.

No there's not. It doesn't happen.

Even an ounce of competence stops such an embarrassing level of fail from happening.

Even a basket case like Morton wouldn't sink that low.

Ross County sign Josh Mullin from Livingston.

That's a strange one. He's a good player. Thought he'd have fancied a crack at the premier league.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

No there's not. It doesn't happen.

Even an ounce of competence stops such an embarrassing level of fail from happening.

Even a basket case like Morton wouldn't sink that low.

This is correct. In a developed football country like Scotland this just doesn't happen in the pro leagues. It's once in a lifetime stuff.

I'm deadly serious when I say that Brechin should be investigated for this.

EOho8Pw.png

This is correct. In a developed football country like Scotland this just doesn't happen in the pro leagues. It's once in a lifetime stuff.

I'm deadly serious when I say that Brechin should be investigated for this.

I agree. Bringing the game into disrepute.

I agree. Bringing the game into disrepute.

We'll be getting pelters about the 10-2 game for years, that's just part of the Scottish game, but from my outside perspective Brechin have got away with murder here, with most pundits acting like poor wee Brechin can't be expected to amass more than 4 (four) points from a possible 108. They weren't even the only part-timers in the league.

They may not have chucked it to fix games for illicit betting but chuck it they did - while I'm aware we dropped two points against them, their games were effectively free points. You could expunge their record and not change the league table, which is almost unbelievable.

Had this happened at Premiership level there'd have been some form of independent enquiry. It's only because it's the Platonic ideal of a diddy social club that the SPFL looked the other way.

There is a very decent case for forcibly putting Brechin into abeyance until they come back with a proper board and staff who can prevent this from happening again. Say what you will about the clown show at Morton over the last 20 years but none of what went on here - 03/04, Spartans, signing an ineligible player, 10-2 - is within a hundred miles of what Brechin did to the professional leagues last season.

EOho8Pw.png

And there's no way Livingston will go winless. Bear in mind Gretna were practically defunct for a fair portion of their top flight season and were playing in a distant town in front of a few dozen fans - they finished on 23 points if you remove their 10 point deduction and they won five matches. They got more points during their spell in administration - March 10th til the end of the season - than Brechin did in the whole season!

EOho8Pw.png

That's a strange one. He's a good player. Thought he'd have fancied a crack at the premier league.

County will be able to comfortably double his wages though, it'd be no surprise to see other Livi players going to some of the bigger budget Championship clubs as well. Why a club like Dundee United who've been an absolute shambles defensively for two years wouldn't be doing everything they can to get a player like Craig Halkett I have no idea.

As for Brechin, yes, it was literally the worst season any team has ever had playing at a national level in Scotland. Much was made of the fact no team had gone winless for 126 years, but Vale of Leven were playing in the second ever season of league football in Scotland so you can't compare to today's professionalism, there was only one 12 team league, the season only lasted 22 games... and they still managed to get more points than Brechin! There's a valid argument that they've brought the game into disrepute by not even attempting to compete. Clubs have been fined in the past for putting out weakened teams in league games - Alan Kernaghan's Dundee were made to play twice in three days, put a youth team out, got scudded 7-0 by Airdrie as a result and got a disrepute charge for it. Is failing to even attempt a competitive team not worse?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

County will be able to comfortably double his wages though, it'd be no surprise to see other Livi players going to some of the bigger budget Championship clubs as well. Why a club like Dundee United who've been an absolute shambles defensively for two years wouldn't be doing everything they can to get a player like Craig Halkett I have no idea.

As for Brechin, yes, it was literally the worst season any team has ever had playing at a national level in Scotland. Much was made of the fact no team had gone winless for 126 years, but Vale of Leven were playing in the second ever season of league football in Scotland so you can't compare to today's professionalism, there was only one 12 team league, the season only lasted 22 games... and they still managed to get more points than Brechin! There's a valid argument that they've brought the game into disrepute by not even attempting to compete. Clubs have been fined in the past for putting out weakened teams in league games - Alan Kernaghan's Dundee were made to play twice in three days, put a youth team out, got scudded 7-0 by Airdrie as a result and got a disrepute charge for it. Is failing to even attempt a competitive team not worse?

And we still managed to drop points to them.

I think having 3 teams in play off places in a division of 10 teams is pretty ridiculous. Brechin finished 4th, 31 points behind Livi and 12 pts behind Alloa. The current system makes a mockery of a 9 month campaign.

I think having 3 teams in play off places in a division of 10 teams is pretty ridiculous. Brechin finished 4th, 31 points behind Livi and 12 pts behind Alloa. The current system makes a mockery of a 9 month campaign.

It's not Brechin's fault that other teams in that playoff choked when they should have comfortably disposed of them. Their approach to this season was scandalous though.

Don't have an issue with 3 teams making the playoff in tighter leagues like the Championship though, kept it interesting until the death.

Archived