General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Sports gambling is illegal in Texas, except at race tracks (where it's only legal on horses) so I don't really bet except when I'm back in Europe, but if I did I'd have had money on Spurs, so I'm kind of glad.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Was watching Club America against Club Leon this weekend and for the second half they had a female main commentator. (This was on Univision, a Spanish-language channel.) I can read Spanish perfectly well but listening to it is another story - because they speak very quickly I can only get around half of what they're talking about. With that qualification, I think she did extremely well, arguably better than the male commentator for the first half. I do wonder how the culturally Mexican audience will react to this, given that it's still quite a macho country (I work with a Mexican guy who calls the women in his department 'chicas', or girls, during meetings and conference calls, which an Anglo-American these days wouldn't generally do) but I'd happily listen to her commentate on a game again.

tl;dr, you are probably thinking. Well, the next post will be more interesting...

EOho8Pw.png

PAOK-AEK in Thessaloniki yesterday. Skip to 1:36 if the video hasn't already done so:

https://youtu.be/eQyNb89qDvU?t=1m36s

Goal originally given, then the referee backtracks and disallows it (correctly) for offside.

And here's the aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKF6ESuHPQ

Bearded fellow is PAOK's president, who was so incensed at the (again, correct) decision that he came onto the pitch, waved his players off, and challenged the officials. While doing this he took off his jacket to reveal that he had a holstered handgun. To be clear, open carry is legal in Greece and at no time did he produce or even touch the gun, but this managed to shock even the Greeks.

The Greek government has now suspended the league.

PAOK and AEK are distant rivals. Both are refugee clubs (the K is for Constantinople) founded by Greeks fleeing Asia Minor after Turkey took what is now Istanbul, and there's also the capital vs. second city dimension.

EOho8Pw.png

He appears to be touching the gun/holster in the first minute of the video. 

Meanwhile, in France:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/12/lille-fans-attack-players-relegation-ligue-1

Leaving the Helen Lovejoy-esque report to one side, this can be safely filed among the many examples of why 'the Cappielow boo boys' don't actually represent the most demanding or negative fanbase in world football, as shrill happy-clappers would have us all believe. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The still image just shows him with his hand slightly behind his back - it's telling that there's no moving image to that effect. I really don't think he went for it at any time or even really touched it. Grazed it, maybe. Not that I'm defending it. He had no need to take off his jacket. He's a 'businessman' of Russian descent so I'm not surprised that he carries a gun and has a bunch of bodyguards but there was no need for any of this.

France has had a real hooligan problem for years now and Lille are a traditionally major club in dire straits, so I'm not surprised to see this. Doing so after a 1-1 draw at home to a decent side like Montpellier is pretty funny, though.

I remember years ago PSG used to have hooligan groups fight each other, rather than the opposition. There was the largely white French Boulogne Boys and the largely Magrebhi Mystic Tigers.

EOho8Pw.png

First of all, a hearty LOL at Jose Mourinho.

With that out of the way - this is the second season in which North Korea have (re-)entered AFC club competitions. Previously they were banned, or when not banned failed to enter a team. The AFC Cup, roughly the equivalent of the Europa League, saw two teams enter last year - national giants April 25 and railway works team Kigwancha. They met in the group stage, April 25 advanced, but they lost in the quarters to Erik Paartalu's Bengaluru. So Paartalu will be one of the very few Western players to have played a match in Pyongyang - at the Rungrado, no less! (That's the one that has the Arirang Mass Games, which you'll probably have seen on TV.)

Anyway. April 25 are currently top of their group after beating fellow Norks Hwaebul - the team of the KWP Youth League - and today absolutely thrashing some team from Taiwan by five goals to one:

mBWwVJE.png

Benfica played Hwaebul this morning but there is no result yet from behind the iron curtain. And yes, that's Benfica... of Macau, a former Portuguese colony. There are Benficas in all the former Portuguese colonies, most notably in Angola. There's also a Benfica in London.

edit: according to the AFC Cup official Facebook page, Benfica won but they didn't give a scoreline.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

PAOK-AEK in Thessaloniki yesterday. Skip to 1:36 if the video hasn't already done so:

https://youtu.be/eQyNb89qDvU?t=1m36s

Goal originally given, then the referee backtracks and disallows it (correctly) for offside.

And here's the aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKF6ESuHPQ

Bearded fellow is PAOK's president, who was so incensed at the (again, correct) decision that he came onto the pitch, waved his players off, and challenged the officials. While doing this he took off his jacket to reveal that he had a holstered handgun. To be clear, open carry is legal in Greece and at no time did he produce or even touch the gun, but this managed to shock even the Greeks.

The Greek government has now suspended the league.

PAOK and AEK are distant rivals. Both are refugee clubs (the K is for Constantinople) founded by Greeks fleeing Asia Minor after Turkey took what is now Istanbul, and there's also the capital vs. second city dimension.

what type of gun is that? an AEK-47?

I'll get my coat...

• Upvote 1

With that out of the way - this is the second season in which North Korea have (re-)entered AFC club competitions. Previously they were banned, or when not banned failed to enter a team. The AFC Cup, roughly the equivalent of the Europa League, saw two teams enter last year - national giants April 25 and railway works team Kigwancha. They met in the group stage, April 25 advanced, but they lost in the quarters to Erik Paartalu's Bengaluru. So Paartalu will be one of the very few Western players to have played a match in Pyongyang - at the Rungrado, no less! (That's the one that has the Arirang Mass Games, which you'll probably have seen on TV.)

The BBC had an article on this game and Paartalu in September: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41257024

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

In the kind of draw that would give the SFA cold sweats, the "Old Firm" of Rio Grande do Sul were drawn together in the quarter-finals of the Campeonato Gaucho, one of Brazil's big four state leagues, along with the Paulista (Sao Paulo), the Carioca (Rio), and the Mineiro (Minas Gerais.)

It's a two-legged affair but let's face it, it's over. Gremio (Portuguese for 'Guild'; Ronaldinho's boyhood club) absolutely beasted Internacional 3-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V8ueWxkz14

Interestingly (as you can see) Inter had the best of the early chances but once Gremio got started they were well on top.

Gremio and Inter win virtually every year, so unless Inter can pull off a massive comeback, it's Gremio's to lose.

Then again, it was Inter's to lose last season, yet in an absolutely seismic shock they lost to Novo Hamburgo, a modest team from the national Serie D who had never won a top-level championship before. That was the first team outside of the big two to win in 18 years.

Novo Hamburgo didn't even reach the playoffs this year - quite an achievement, considering that 8 out of 12 teams in the top division make it there and Gremio/Inter both just play reserves for most of the dumb league stage.

Brazil's Serie A kicks off in mid-April and offers a nice counterpoint during seasons with no summer competition. This year, of course, it will compete with the World Cup. Countries that play a (Northern hemisphere) summer season are at an inherent disadvantage if they have international-quality players. Brazil will probably call up three or four, as is their custom.

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Goal 648 for Cristiano Ronaldo there.

Better than Pele's record, given that much of Pele's career was against complete dross in the Paulista.

I scored an almost identical goal to that one in a recent dream. 

• Downvote 3

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I scored an almost identical goal to that one in a recent dream.

I assume the overhead kick and not the tap-in in the first half? I only saw the second half, was on the way to the airport in the first, but that was more than enough.

I've been firmly on the Messi train until now but Cristiano is absolutely inhuman lately.

EOho8Pw.png

Indonesia must be one of the biggest underachievers in world football. For a country of that size - over 260 million - that's absolutely crazy about the sport, they selcom qualify for anything, never even win their regional competition (the AFF Suzuki Cup, dominated by Thailand and Singapore) and their clubs tend to do badly. It doesn't help that they had two parallel leagues running for a few years due to political disagreements and mismanagement.

Nonetheless, today they did manage to break a record. In the AFC Cup (their Europa League), 60,157 fans came to the national stadium today to watch Persija Jakarta thrash JDT of Malaysia 4-0. Former Vasas and Ferencvaros striker Marko Simic of Croatia got all four goals.

There was also a great crowd for Al-Zawraa Baghdad against Al-Ahed Beirut in what was the first AFC club game in over 20 years to be played in Iraq. Unfortunately it couldn't be played in Baghdad itself, but there was still a great support in Karbala - considering it's over 100 miles from Baghdad and there were security checkpoints outside of the city, to get over 16,000 was amazing. Ahed got a late equalizer to stay top of the group ahead of the Iraqis, who are still favorites to go through in second place.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

The CL is the pinnacle of football and has been for years, and anyone who doesn't like it is a fucking weirdo. My favorite is when people say "the Champions league should be for champions :angry: " and "it was better when there were more crap teams in it :angry: ", as if anyone's on the edge of their seat for Legia Warsaw against Barcelona or Salzburg at Juventus. The format is ace - all the continent's best teams plus a fair shot for the smaller countries to get involved.

And granted, not every knockout stage has been as amazing as this year's quarters, but this is what it's all about, the world's best facing each other with sparks flying and amazing comebacks and shocks.

EOho8Pw.png