McKinnon hearing - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McKinnon hearing

cmdc

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian Munro in the mid 1990s left Hamilton for St.Mirren and within a short space of time left them to manage Raith Rovers.

In the same cycle (for want of a better word) Tommy McLean left the Raith job to go to Dundee United after about a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do Morton get any compensation?

While I don't understand why, today's tribunal ruling wasn't to do with compensation to Morton, but rather Falkirk's egregious, glib and shameless breaching of league rules.

But the tribunal seems very confident that McKinnon and Taylor did breach contracts that had a set duration. (Graeme Henderson - who, by the way, looks like a freakish avian experiment - apparently did not have a contract of a set duration.) Accordingly we're entitled to the balance of those contracts, that were due to expire in May 2019.

I expect the club to pursue that balance for McKinnon and Taylor.

EOho8Pw.png

From skimming through it it looks like there was no protection written into the contract for McKinnon resigning to take a position elsewhere. The recipricol for the employee to be relieved of their position to be entitled to the remaining contract sum to be payable, discounting gross misconduct.

It sounded like a garbage contract, basically.

From skimming through it it looks like there was no protection written into the contract for McKinnon resigning to take a position elsewhere. The recipricol for the employee to be relieved of their position to be entitled to the remaining contract sum to be payable, discounting gross misconduct.

It sounded like a garbage contract, basically.

Doubt it's massively different from most one-year deals at this level tbh.

EOho8Pw.png

I'd still like to know why he wanted to leave in the first place.

He was on the lookout for something better than the one-year deal he was on. A bigger club who were likely to spend big on fixing the disastrous Hartley appointment had a vacancy. His agent told Falkirk he wanted that job and could go there for nothing. Falkirk jumped at it and had a two-year deal on the table. Ray wanted a two-year deal to replace what was around 10 months remaining - probably on less money - at Cappielow. A complete no-brainer, and had Falkirk operated in a non-snake fashion (and Ray done likewise) the end result would have been either a new job for Ray at Grangemouth, or an improved deal for Ray and his team at Cappielow. Instead he snaked it and ended up getting the better deal, but at significant cost to his reputation and his new club. Wee shame.

EOho8Pw.png

I'd still like to know why he wanted to leave in the first place.

Aye, that's what I struggle to get my head round to be honest. What the **** was his game, exactly? We now know he was on £60k a year or thereabouts - surely not buttons in the context of the Championship and certainly not derisory -  he was able to put together a new squad, the club invested in the infrastructure at his behest and hired Henderson, he was being allowed to bring Rudden in and, going by the comments about his behaviour in the last week of the transfer window, maybe another couple on top, all at the same time as having got his team starting to click and sitting second top of the league (if memory serves) and looking in good nick.

Why would you be tasking your agent with finding you a new job at that point? It's bizarre. If Falkirk had came in and said "here's a 2 year deal on £x and you can spend £z in January", you could just about understand it, but the way it all transpired, right down to the bizarre idea that you can just walk away from a contract, is weird. He's a fuckin tube, I hope him and his shitey wee club go bankrupt.

AWMSC

He was on the lookout for something better than the one-year deal he was on. A bigger club who were likely to spend big on fixing the disastrous Hartley appointment had a vacancy. His agent told Falkirk he wanted that job and could go there for nothing. Falkirk jumped at it and had a two-year deal on the table. Ray wanted a two-year deal to replace what was around 10 months remaining - probably on less money - at Cappielow. A complete no-brainer, and had Falkirk operated in a non-snake fashion (and Ray done likewise) the end result would have been either a new job for Ray at Grangemouth, or an improved deal for Ray and his team at Cappielow. Instead he snaked it and ended up getting the better deal, but at significant cost to his reputation and his new club. Wee shame.

Don't buy that. There must be more to it.

Aye, that's what I struggle to get my head round to be honest. What the **** was his game, exactly? We now know he was on £60k a year or thereabouts - surely not buttons in the context of the Championship and certainly not derisory -  he was able to put together a new squad, the club invested in the infrastructure at his behest and hired Henderson, he was being allowed to bring Rudden in and, going by the comments about his behaviour in the last week of the transfer window, maybe another couple on top, all at the same time as having got his team starting to click and sitting second top of the league (if memory serves) and looking in good nick.

Why would you be tasking your agent with finding you a new job at that point? It's bizarre. If Falkirk had came in and said "here's a 2 year deal on £x and you can spend £z in January", you could just about understand it, but the way it all transpired is just really weird. 

Yes. I just don't believe the explanation TRVMP just gave.

He could have ended up not getting the Falkirk job and Morton sacking him for gross misconduct. 

Archived