January Transfer Window Thread - Page 31 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

Aye its a bit concerning to be half way through January and have a young lad who is only here for cover as our only new player. This being a squad that our manager, from day one in the job, has said is unbalanced.

Is this maybe related to the fact it was reported (if I remember correctly) JJ stating he doesn't have budget for the signings he wants this window?

To be honest with you I was also expecting us to attempt to get rid of some players to free up budget in the first half of the window then sign some JJ style players in the second half.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this maybe related to the fact it was reported (if I remember correctly) JJ stating he doesn't have budget for the signings he wants this window?

To be honest with you I was also expecting us to attempt to get rid of some players to free up budget in the first half of the window then sign some JJ style players in the second half.

Shame he doesn't have one.

A manager at this job needs to be able to pull in some loan signings in the January window, that's how it  works for pretty much everybody. Christ, even Barcelona are bringing in loan players so I've no sympathy with a Championship manager not being given a bucket of cash to spend.

AWMSC

From Kyle Thomson onwards we have released multiple players and JJ said himself he was looking to sign players in one of his interviews the other week. Given the vast array of contacts a former Old Firm, Premier League and International apparently has you have to wonder if JJ has lost his address book.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

From Kyle Thomson onwards we have released multiple players and JJ said himself he was looking to sign players in one of his interviews the other week. Given the vast array of contacts a former Old Firm, Premier League and International apparently has you have to wonder if JJ has lost his address book.

And if he was so hamstrung by the squad, desperate for the window as his backers claim, why, half way through the window, after half a season to plan for it, has he got nothing?

Just one of Tumilty's mates who asked to come down.

I’ve never really understood the notion that because someone was a player for a club a number of years ago, people assume their relationship is sustained after that; considering Charlton have changed hands several times since and one of the other clubs JJ was at actually died.

The Ton Survived & Your Pipe Dream Died

18th September 2014

I’ve never really understood the notion that because someone was a player for a club a number of years ago, people assume their relationship is sustained after that; considering Charlton have changed hands several times since and one of the other clubs JJ was at actually died.

Yeah i wasn't saying it as if he should have contacts. I've yet to see one manager who boasts about contacts or who people assume would have them actually follow through on it. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Shame he doesn't have one.

A manager at this job needs to be able to pull in some loan signings in the January window, that's how it  works for pretty much everybody. Christ, even Barcelona are bringing in loan players so I've no sympathy with a Championship manager not being given a bucket of cash to spend.

This Still requires an ability to offer the going rate of salary for a Scottish Championship Player....Alot of clubs therefore chasing the same players with Morton hardly having deep pockets to compete if any..... of course you know all these things as i can see from your endless contrarian posts on all subjects and all matters Morton & it now seems Barcelona ... tedious...

This Still requires an ability to offer the going rate of salary for a Scottish Championship Player....Alot of clubs therefore chasing the same players with Morton hardly having deep pockets to compete if any.....

Incidentally, MacLean, Thompson and Tiffoney (it appears) have all left so even if Morton were obliged to pay a full wage for loan players (which is unlikely, especially with the likes of Tiffoney who was only here a couple of days), then there's room to add a couple of players and yet Reghan Tumilty's mate phoning up asking for a game is the only movement so far.

Still though, don't let that get in the way.

AWMSC

Incidentally, MacLean, Thompson and Tiffoney (it appears) have all left so even if Morton were obliged to pay a full wage for loan players (which is unlikely, especially with the likes of Tiffoney who was only here a couple of days), then there's room to add a couple of players and yet Reghan Tumilty's mate phoning up asking for a game is the only movement so far.

I am not really pro-JJ or anti-JJ but I will be worried if nobody is in on 1st Feb, perhaps the better players take longer to get and unlike Partick and Falkirk we aren't desperately throwing money at anything that moves.

(As I said though, if this window closes and we have no good additions then I will be worried about being sucked in to the relegation scrap)

Finally..There might be hope for you yet.Wages of players out unknown...Wages of potential players in unknown...I presume neither of us can claim to know that... even you the oracle...It would not however be unreasonable in this transfer window, in view of the Partick/Falkirk Rebuilds(again) & faltering Dundee Utd/Ross County that even loan players may cost more than what we have let go..So again tough economics...There are currently 4 championship teams that have in recent seasons been in premier so budgets are higher at these clubs...Alloa part time is a tad misleading as they have 4 Scottish loans & 1 English loan as well as guys who have full time jobs,pays better for some, and train at night..hardly cannon fodder...As for agenda I don’t know specifically but the delusion that a 100 cap internationalist premier league player with qualified coaching badges and experience both in premiership and internationally with an assistant well respected domestically after only 19 games are not qualified for our brilliant but flawed wee club is one I leave with you to consider....

If those things automatically qualified a manager, Partick wouldn't be bottom of the division and Roy Keane would still be in a job. As would Gary Neville, for that matter. Certainly I think top-level experience as a player, and experience coaching with a major club, are good things. I would trust a guy with JJ's track record more than I would, say, whoever is in charge at Largs Thistle. But it's a starting point and not a conclusion. The idea that someone with pedigree just HAS to be good enough because Morton are a bit crap is not something I agree with.

EOho8Pw.png

If those things automatically qualified a manager, Partick wouldn't be bottom of the division and Roy Keane would still be in a job. As would Gary Neville, for that matter. Certainly I think top-level experience as a player, and experience coaching with a major club, are good things. I would trust a guy with JJ's track record more than I would, say, whoever is in charge at Largs Thistle. But it's a starting point and not a conclusion. The idea that someone with pedigree just HAS to be good enough because Morton are a bit crap is not something I agree with.

He's got a good background and comes across well so probably was the best candidate at the time and was a welcome change but as with anything, there's no certainties.

I'm still hopeful he'll turn it around but have major doubts after Saturday. If it doesn't work out, I don't think the board can be blamed for trying although that's only if they move to change things again quickly if we get more results and performances like that.

I don’t hold anything against the board over JJ’s appintment other than not giving him a shorter deal. We needed to look outside the box and we did, and as we’ve seen from his interviews he’s capable of talking well about the game without really showing it.

He's got a good background and comes across well so probably was the best candidate at the time and was a welcome change but as with anything, there's no certainties.

I'm still hopeful he'll turn it around but have major doubts after Saturday. If it doesn't work out, I don't think the board can be blamed for trying although that's only if they move to change things again quickly if we get more results and performances like that.

I don’t hold anything against the board over JJ’s appintment other than not giving him a shorter deal. We needed to look outside the box and we did, and as we’ve seen from his interviews he’s capable of talking well about the game without really showing it.

Agree with all of this. I was pleasantly surprised by his appointment because he wasn't one of the merry-go-round crew and, on paper, he ticked all the boxes. I can't blame the club for going with him (admittedly without knowing who else was available.) He's played at the highest level, and indeed had some very strong seasons back when Charlton were a mid-table Premier side. He's played internationally countless times, up against some of Europe's best. He's not waited to be parachuted straight into management, but rather has worked with youth and climbed the ladder from there. And he does have good insight into the game itself. These are all massive plusses, and I can see why people may think we're above our station to criticize him. But from what little I've seen we're not playing well, and results are pretty poor. These matter far, far more than his previous track record.

EOho8Pw.png

Finally..There might be hope for you yet.Wages of players out unknown...Wages of potential players in unknown...I presume neither of us can claim to know that... even you the oracle...It would not however be unreasonable in this transfer window, in view of the Partick/Falkirk Rebuilds(again) & faltering Dundee Utd/Ross County that even loan players may cost more than what we have let go..So again tough economics...There are currently 4 championship teams that have in recent seasons been in premier so budgets are higher at these clubs...Alloa part time is a tad misleading as they have 4 Scottish loans & 1 English loan as well as guys who have full time jobs,pays better for some, and train at night..hardly cannon fodder...As for agenda I don’t know specifically but the delusion that a 100 cap internationalist premier league player with qualified coaching badges and experience both in premiership and internationally with an assistant well respected domestically after only 19 games are not qualified for our brilliant but flawed wee club is one I leave with you to consider....

Since you’re getting so arsey about it…

Pretty much every January we bring in a couple of players - usually loan ones - as does the rest of the league, so it'd be unprecedented if we didn’t do this this time around and therefore we can safely assume it’s likely to happen whether we know the wage structures or not. If nothing else, we already know that Johansson and the club are working to make some things happen, so presumably they’re not just doing that for a laugh.

Even if we were paying “going rate of salary for a Scottish Championship Player” for loan players, something which is unlikely, we’ve lost MacLean and Tiffoney (as it stands), which means those wages are available. We also knew that at least the latter was probably going to return to his parent club in January and it seems it was known for a while that MacLean was off too, so it’s not unreasonable to expect a manager to be aware of that and have targets in mind. Admittedly it’s a relatively favourable draw, but we could be 3 points down and out the Scottish Cup as a result of having no wide options, so again, it’s not outlandish to suggest the manager should have targets in mind ready to come in quickly to replace Tiffoney.

Again though, there’s no reason why Johansson should be given money to actually sign/buy players as he has a perfectly serviceable if incomplete squad that should be performing much better than it is. If he can’t make a decent fist of the rest of the season with a few adroit loan acquisition then there’s no hope for him.

“It would not however be unreasonable in this transfer window, in view of the Partick/Falkirk Rebuilds(again) & faltering Dundee Utd/Ross County that even loan players may cost more than what we have let go” doesn’t really mean anything at all. It’s the manager’s job to source players/

You’ve not been able to make a case for his tactics (apart from a spurious claim that Michael Tidser should be playing high up the park despite a flat back with two sitting midfielders (your description), i.e. seven (7) defensive players who the manager himself has told us were instructed to “sit deep”) nor have you been able to explain what exactly people hold against Johansson, so what exactly is it you think he’s doing right?

As for the bit about 100 caps and a decent playing career, that’s just nonsense. Does the name Dave McPherson, who appeared at two major tournaments for Scotland and won and multiple trophies mean anything? He was binned after 13 (if memory serves) games and nobody would say that was at all harsh, or to no avail. Allan Evans, European Cup winner? Or what about John Barnes, an all-time English great who lasted all of 29 games at Celtic?

What did Brendan Rodgers do as a player? Or Jack Ross? Jose Mourinho?

It matters not a jot what kind of player somebody was.  I don’t care what reputation anybody has, if they do a bad job at Morton they’re not good enough for us.

PS: The "enter" button is the really big one with an arrow round about the middle of the keyboard. There's another one at the bottom right.

AWMSC

Agree with all of this. I was pleasantly surprised by his appointment because he wasn't one of the merry-go-round crew and, on paper, he ticked all the boxes. I can't blame the club for going with him (admittedly without knowing who else was available.) He's played at the highest level, and indeed had some very strong seasons back when Charlton were a mid-table Premier side. He's played internationally countless times, up against some of Europe's best. He's not waited to be parachuted straight into management, but rather has worked with youth and climbed the ladder from there. And he does have good insight into the game itself. These are all massive plusses, and I can see why people may think we're above our station to criticize him. But from what little I've seen we're not playing well, and results are pretty poor. These matter far, far more than his previous track record.

A lot of balance in what you are saying and indeed it may prove that results do not work out as it does with many managers.Lets judge it on rest of season and have a little more respect for the incumbents who i imagine are doing all they can to improve the playing staff in terms of additions and in terms of set up.The manager poll on this forum was frankly embarrassing but i presume it is a sign of modern day short term judgement's that people feel vindicated to do from behind a keyboard. Economically the reality is Morton's full-time spending capability appears to be in bottom 3-4 teams in this league with one of the bigger wages in Denny Johnstone having only struggled through 90 mins in the very first game of the current managements tenure. Its a results business i get that but no team in this crazy league has been consistent.I will return to forum in a couple of months and will be happy to discuss the performance then but for now will wait and hope  that the current management and squad hopefully with additions can build and improve for rest of season...Top 6 as a minimum and then kick on for next season.

I didn't mind appointing somebody different, but not just for the sake of it which increasingly seems to be what happened here. Surely there had to be some kind of technical element to the process? How do you envisage your team playing? What's your approach? I dunno what goes on, but if he's managed to produce a genuinely impressive interview that marked him out as the man we needed, then we can only surmise that he's failing to deliver what he promised.

The length of his contract is strange with no break-point in the summer. Why didn't McKinnon get two years? We had only played 4 games when Johansson came in, so if there was a two year deal going, it's odd that the guy who built a new squad only two months previously wasn't given it.

I wondered at the time of the takeover rumours if there could be Easdale influence there given the Rangers connections, but who knows. It seems a strange decision to just jump in with the 2 years without a good reason.

AWMSC

Archived