Morton Q+A at The Beacon - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Q+A at The Beacon

If you're happy to take all the benefits of your parents wealth, build your entire life with tools that they provided and live your entire life with a silver spoon in your mouth then pardon us for not having sympathy with your decision to toss our club towards real trouble. Only makes it worse that Dougie wanted them to write off the debt.

Why should us hard-working, paying punters have sympathy for what a few millionaires are happy to to do to our club, especially when it is their family which created the mess which we are in.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see anyone actually saying that we should treat them with sympathy though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Don't see anyone actually saying that we should treat them with sympathy though.

One of the definitions of sympathy is - 'understanding between people; common feeling.' Think it is fair to say that some people think we should be understanding of their position.

It's easy to say they should subsidize the club forever, but as well as their own wealth, they have the many people who rely on GC for their livelihood to think about. Explaining to wee Morag the tea lady that she's being binned because they have to bring Michael Higdon out of retirement or something is not a good look.

EOho8Pw.png

It's easy to say they should subsidize the club forever, but as well as their own wealth, they have the many people who rely on GC for their livelihood to think about. Explaining to wee Morag the tea lady that she's being binned because they have to bring Michael Higdon out of retirement or something is not a good look.

Expecting them to ease their support for Morton down gradually and not dramatically isn't too much to expect. Especially not when there doesn't appear to be any trouble with their other wealth sources

One of the definitions of sympathy is - 'understanding between people; common feeling.' Think it is fair to say that some people think we should be understanding of their position.

That's not the definiton of the word that you were choosing in your above, emotive boo hoo waah speel though. 

I really don't understand the mentality of anyone who wants GMFC to exist as some sort of perpetual guilt trip, family heirloom anyway. It's not as if the last fifteen years have been spent in the high life, or even had a spell of 'just being run fucking properly' at any time whatsoever. If the Raes aren't serious about taking the club forward then they shouldn't be running the club at all; we can do a hell of a lot better with new ownership (and we could also do somewhat worse). It's time to move on and make their exit - within reason - as smooth as possible: clearing the debt and getting a 15% stake are two important steps towards that.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Expecting them to ease their support for Morton down gradually and not dramatically isn't too much to expect. Especially not when there doesn't appear to be any trouble with their other wealth sources

They haven't been supporting the club for more than a decade though (other than in a short-term cashflow sense): they've just been writing endless IOU cheques to the parent company to account for the incompetent stewardship that has continually occurred under their watch. That's why the debt is running up towards £2.5 million.

There is no point in asking them to keep writing slightly smaller IOUs - if they're wanting out then the club should not be incurring any more debt to them whatsoever. 

That's not the definiton of the word that you were choosing in your above, emotive boo hoo waah speel though.

I really don't understand the mentality of anyone who wants GMFC to exist as some sort of perpetual guilt trip, family heirloom anyway. It's not as if the last fifteen years have been spent in the high life, or even had a spell of 'just being run fucking properly' at any time whatsoever. If the Raes aren't serious about taking the club forward then they shouldn't be running the club at all; we can do a hell of a lot better with new ownership (and we could also do somewhat worse). It's time to move on and make their exit - within reason - as smooth as possible: clearing the debt and getting a 15% stake are two important steps towards that.

Look, I agree with you that they should be going etc. I meant sympathy with the definition I outline which, personally, I think is quite obvious.

Perhaps I am being blinded by my dislike for people who hoarde wealth and live off their daddy's legacy. Don't think that's unreasonable

And yet if they were writing a club IOU cheque to themselves every month then you'd be perfectly fine with it; you're not exactly Chairman Mao.  

Except that in this instance, "they" is actually the singular, Crawford. His siblings aren't interested and aren't allowing the clubs' losses to impact on their dividends, leaving him to pick up the pieces.

He simply doesn't have the authority to write cheques to dig us out of a hole that his dad had. Like it or not, his death was the game changer. Of course this scenario should've been planned for, especially with his dad's advancing years and deteriorating health, but this is where we are.

I'm not sure how many siblings Crawford has, two or three perhaps, but do you reasonably expect the club to be run on a similar basis with a third or a quarter of the  money that was previously available to support it?

Such an attitude of entitlement amongst the support was one of the contributing factors in sending the club you used to support six foot under.

Look, I agree with you that they should be going etc. I meant sympathy with the definition I outline which, personally, I think is quite obvious.

Perhaps I am being blinded by my dislike for people who hoarde wealth and live off their daddy's legacy. Don't think that's unreasonable

He was born into a rich family. As far as I'm aware he's worked for his family business for all his adult life. I don't think that's unreasonable. Were I a successful businessman with any offspring, I'd like to think my kids would work for me before taking the reigns when I'm not fit enough to.

There's a difference between living off your parents' wealth and contributing to their success. You probably know all this anyway, but let's not let it get in the way of your howling to the moon.

Not really the same thing though, is it? Criticising professional footballers for being guff is completely different to launching personal attacks at someone only trying to help the club and its supporters out.

Anyone that invites and expects others to fund their hairbrained ideas which haven't (or at least hadn't) been thought through properly are well deserving of ridicule.

However, I do concede that calling him a shit-for-brains individual was over-the-top, and uncalled for.

*insert signature here*

Because the lesser Raes are, depending on how you look at it, either looking out for the best interests of the greater Golden Casket company, its employees, their families, and of course the Raes themselves; or are a bunch of money-grubbing, amoral chancers who didn't wait until the patriarch's body was cold before they started looting his life's work. Much like the Mileson clan, they couldn't wait to get shot of that stupid football club he was always throwing money at.

Which of these two is it? Well, it would be imprudent to presume to know, but it's definitely the latter.

I don't have a problem with the Rae Family, including Crawford, as the family have been good custodians of the club over the past two decades. Granted there have been mistakes along the way, and they aren't perfect by any means but if the Rae siblings decided they wanted to sell up and cash in their inheritance then they should do so with our blessing.

The Rae siblings are now by virtue of their inheritance the legal owners of the club, they are also responsible for any liabilities whether it's putting together a management team both on and off the Park, the club can honour it's taxes, wages and ensure that the premises adhere to all health & safety laws etc. If they can't live up to these responsibilities then they should do the decent thing and sell up.

The whole 'ivry buddy chips in munny' thing has just really clouded that issue. When the Rae siblings were all for pulling out their funding it has conveniently provided a smokescreen which would allow them to reap the benefits of ownership whilst abdicating the risks associated with owning the club.

Also,

Graham McLennan did well by getting the 15% in advance of any funding, however if we go back into the realms of history the Other supporters group - the GMST - Had their shareholdings in the club diluted to a negligible level as a result of the Debt-for-equity swap in the late 2000s. If anything, that's a wrong that was put right - DDFR shafted the GMST big time back then - however I don't think that would have been Graham's motivation, or indeed if he knew anything about it.

*insert signature here*

Except that in this instance, "they" is actually the singular, Crawford. His siblings aren't interested and aren't allowing the clubs' losses to impact on their dividends, leaving him to pick up the pieces.

He simply doesn't have the authority to write cheques to dig us out of a hole that his dad had. Like it or not, his death was the game changer. Of course this scenario should've been planned for, especially with his dad's advancing years and deteriorating health, but this is where we are.

I'm not sure how many siblings Crawford has, two or three perhaps, but do you reasonably expect the club to be run on a similar basis with a third or a quarter of the money that was previously available to support it?

Such an attitude of entitlement amongst the support was one of the contributing factors in sending the club you used to support six foot under.

He was born into a rich family. As far as I'm aware he's worked for his family business for all his adult life. I don't think that's unreasonable. Were I a successful businessman with any offspring, I'd like to think my kids would work for me before taking the reigns when I'm not fit enough to.

There's a difference between living off your parents' wealth and contributing to their success. You probably know all this anyway, but let's not let it get in the way of your howling to the moon.

Eh, no 'they' isn't the singular as it is his siblings who have sh*t all over their Dad's wishes and they're who are to blame. But there's no point going round in circles when the bottom line is - we are were we are and the situation with GC isn't going to change any time soon.

How do you know what their dads wishes were

There is plenty of interviews out there of him saying he didn't want his money back. Then more of Crawford saying he would write off the debt.

Didn't really think that was up for debate

If you're happy to take all the benefits of your parents wealth, build your entire life with tools that they provided and live your entire life with a silver spoon in your mouth then pardon us for not having sympathy with your decision to toss our club towards real trouble. Only makes it worse that Dougie wanted them to write off the debt.

Why should us hard-working, paying punters have sympathy for what a few millionaires are happy to to do to our club, especially when it is their family which created the mess which we are in.

What’s the real trouble he’s tossing us into?

There is plenty of interviews out there of him saying he didn't want his money back. Then more of Crawford saying he would write off the debt.

Didn't really think that was up for debate

If Douglas Rae really didn’t want his money back then he could have just written off all the IOUs to his company while he was in control of both. He didn’t though. It’s easy to come out with that claim to make himself look like a saint whenever he was under fire - it was rolled out all the time during the disastrous 13/14 campaign- yet actions speak far louder than words. In reality he left the club owing more than £2 million to GC and had far greater say over that than anyone else in the Rae family then or since.

Archived