alloa v morton - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

alloa v morton

beetee

Raith have won the League Cup and played in Europe and the top flight in the last 30 years, ergo they've achieved more than Morton.

As I said, if you mean over that time scale then yes, definitely. A semi-final vs Aberdeen in the League Cup, a win vs Celtic, hammering St Mirren, a couple of league 1/Division 2 titles and getting into the playoffs are genuinely the only achievements that stand out in my mind since my first Morton game 16 years ago. That screams diddy club.

I know they are nobodies cup of tea, but there is every chance the Easdales will take the club further than Crawford will.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scully can't be trusted. Wouldn't be surprised if King Snake tapped him up a few weeks back and he joins them before the end of the window. Agree that he should have been let go when he threw the toys out the pram. An older, shiter Jamie McGowan.

Yeah, the rot had well and truly set in by the time Crawford took the reins.

Let's hope he sticks to his three-year plan and doesn't waste time by being trigger-shy.

Think I misunderstood your post there, sorry! Thought you meant people's enthusiasm dried up with the passing of Rae snr.

AWMSC

What is your scale for this? Raith Rovers are languishing in League 1. Dunfermline enjoyed a spell there more recently than us. But if you mean over last 25 years then sure.

I hate to say it but we don't attract big crowds and we suffer from the OF exodous every weekend. Whilst the club needs to do a lot more on the park, it has improved in the community and hopefully less youngsters will flock to the ugly sisters - especially with Rangers dying. Then when it moves into new ownership, hopefully there is some investment to match new ambition. We have definitely underperformed no doubt, but hopefully there is a new direction around the corner as I think Crawford lost his enthusiasm (understandably) when his dad passed.

So72 in making a complete c*nt of a post shocker.

Since we last played top tier football, Raith Rovers have won a League Cup, two second tier titles and played in Europe, against Bayern Munich no less. They also suffer from a Hearts/Hibs exodus that doesn’t afflict us. Off the top of my head, Dunfermline have played in a League Cup Final, and two Scottish Cup finals. Ayr, Airdrie (before they died), Queen of the South and Dundee have got to cup finals. Inverness, Ross County, St. Johnstone, Livingston and St. f*cking Mirren have won trophies. Killie have won both cups. Hamilton have established themselves in the top tier. How many cup finals have those peasants that unashamedly bumped our manger been to? I’ve not even started on Motherwell and Kilmarnock yet, should they really be considered as bigger than us? We haven’t made a Challenge Cup Final in 27 years!!

There are three certainties in life- death, taxes and Morton f*ccking things right up just at the point you think all’s well in the world.

I’d love to say things were different, but they’re not. As soon as night follows day, when Morton look like they might actually go on a run, they lose. That’s the way of the world. I’d love to blame the current incumbent, but it’s not even his fault. It’s a disease our club was, is, and always will be riddled with. It’s not even an issue with the Raes, either.

That’s the way it is, lads. One of Partick and Falkirk will go down this season, and we’ll have a right good laugh at their expense. But both will play Premiership football before we do, and it’s not funny anymore.

I eagerly await someone turning up and proving me wrong, but we sat in the pub before the game today and counted 15 mangers since McGraw who have failed to take us to the top divsion for a variety of reasons.

If Ayr go up this season, there’ll only be two clubs in the land that we can point and laugh at. And Airdrie I’m past caring about.

We’re Greenock Morton, we’re better than you.

What is your scale for this? Raith Rovers are languishing in League 1. Dunfermline enjoyed a spell there more recently than us. But if you mean over last 25 years then sure.

I hate to say it but we don't attract big crowds and we suffer from the OF exodous every weekend. Whilst the club needs to do a lot more on the park, it has improved in the community and hopefully less youngsters will flock to the ugly sisters - especially with Rangers dying. Then when it moves into new ownership, hopefully there is some investment to match new ambition. We have definitely underperformed no doubt, but hopefully there is a new direction around the corner as I think Crawford lost his enthusiasm (understandably) when his dad passed.

My personal scale is since we've been reliably full-time. In that time period, literally every other club that's FT has been in the top flight or a major final, with the exception of Airdrie, who died (and have since, I believe, gone PT.)

We're not the only ones to suffer the OF exodus and in semi-recent memory we've had crowds well north of 3k for bigger league games and even 4.5k for some that aren't league deciders. Hamilton don't get that. Inverness don't get that. Ross County don't get that. A month ago Livingston thumped Hearts 5-0 in front of 4,000 and half of those would have been Jambos.

You can point to the various advantages they have and the various disadvantages we have, and there is merit in that, but it's been decades now of near-uninterrupted shiet, while everyone else gets a day in the sun, right down to Queen of the fucking South. We're not that far behind that we can't possibly dream of competing, or to take advantage of a shit Championship year in which everyone is beating everyone else (like, say, this one.)

EOho8Pw.png

Since we last played top tier football, Raith Rovers have won a League Cup, two second tier titles and played in Europe, against Bayern Munich no less. They also suffer from a Hearts/Hibs exodus that doesn’t afflict us. Off the top of my head, Dunfermline have played in a League Cup Final, and two Scottish Cup finals. Ayr, Airdrie (before they died), Queen of the South and Dundee have got to cup finals. Inverness, Ross County, St. Johnstone, Livingston and St. f*cking Mirren have won trophies. Killie have won both cups. Hamilton have established themselves in the top tier. How many cup finals have those peasants that unashamedly bumped our manger been to? I’ve not even started on Motherwell and Kilmarnock yet, should they really be considered as bigger than us? We haven’t made a Challenge Cup Final in 27 years!!

There are three certainties in life- death, taxes and Morton f*ccking things right up just at the point you think all’s well in the world.

I’d love to say things were different, but they’re not. As soon as night follows day, when Morton look like they might actually go on a run, they lose. That’s the way of the world. I’d love to blame the current incumbent, but it’s not even his fault. It’s a disease our club was, is, and always will be riddled with. It’s not even an issue with the Raes, either.

That’s the way it is, lads. One of Partick and Falkirk will go down this season, and we’ll have a right good laugh at their expense. But both will play Premiership football before we do, and it’s not funny anymore.

I eagerly await someone turning up and proving me wrong, but we sat in the pub before the game today and counted 15 mangers since McGraw who have failed to take us to the top divsion for a variety of reasons.

If Ayr go up this season, there’ll only be two clubs in the land that we can point and laugh at. And Airdrie I’m past caring about.

Very well put. Off the top of my head I think nearly all FT teams since I started following Morton have achieved two of top flight football, European football or a cup win. And all of them at least one. Except us. In that time our biggest achievement was *almost* winning promotion in 95-96.

I thought that Houston would have provided a lot more positive influence by now. To me it just looks like an extra wee bonus wage for him before retiring. Where are all his football contacts?.

This.

What exactly is Peter Houston contributing? This does look like a retirement gig for him, in between getting airport hires.

I would sooner JJ had a young guy like a Jack Ross type coach in his infancy as his assistant. Steve Aitken perhaps?

*insert signature here*

I had started on Kilmarnock, though. And moved onto them again. So I hold my hands up to that one.

Tbh I'm gutted that you pointed out the year of the Challenge Cup final. That was my first ever Morton game and if you'd told me then that would be the high water mark of our cup achievements I'd probably have packed it in.

EOho8Pw.png

Scarily accurate.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Couldn't be bothered reading since you skipped the bit where I said 'if you mean the last 25 years then fair enough' - so again, fair enough**

**actually i did read it and if you weren't being shite about it at the start then I would agree 100%.

This will never happen to us.

article-2576251-00164A0400000258-294_634

Sorry, I thought we were actually dealing with real achievements as a football club, as opposed to having a cum-soaked sock puppet and being 13 points behind Arbroath in the seaside league now.

Fuming that we haven’t made that pinnacle of achievement tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

My personal scale is since we've been reliably full-time. In that time period, literally every other club that's FT has been in the top flight or a major final, with the exception of Airdrie, who died (and have since, I believe, gone PT.)

We're not the only ones to suffer the OF exodus and in semi-recent memory we've had crowds well north of 3k for bigger league games and even 4.5k for some that aren't league deciders. Hamilton don't get that. Inverness don't get that. Ross County don't get that. A month ago Livingston thumped Hearts 5-0 in front of 4,000 and half of those would have been Jambos.

You can point to the various advantages they have and the various disadvantages we have, and there is merit in that, but it's been decades now of near-uninterrupted shiet, while everyone else gets a day in the sun, right down to Queen of the ****ing South. We're not that far behind that we can't possibly dream of competing, or to take advantage of a s*** Championship year in which everyone is beating everyone else (like, say, this one.)

Bang on mate, genuinely I meant right now so sadly everything you have said is bang on. Almost feels beyond hope now that we will turn a corner, especially since Crawford took only 1/6th of his plan to evaporate any confidence in him.

Is full-time Football all its cracked up to be?

Those who are full time players would have set their sights higher than Morton, and those who are good enough will already be there, therefore the only players we'd be likely to attract would be the also-rans and those whose careers are on the decline or players in the twilight of their careers.

The alternatives:

Become the biggest and best part-time outfit in Scotland, attracting the best part-time players from throughout the country.

Create a brand new mindset. What Morton were in the past is no longer the Morton of the future. We are not some social club for any passing journeymen en route to fucking QotS just because they stay up the Broomy. If you don't have something positive to contribute then get tae... Whether it's players, managers, directors, office staff, suppliers etc.

Scouting for young players - it shouldn't be confined to the Inverclyde area - Glasgow, Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire have a combined population of about 2.5 million, there are loads of school teams, youth teams etc who don't get scouted by the bigger clubs - make an effort with them.

Use the employment laws to our advantage - this may be changed depending on the political climate and the outcome of Brexit, however over the past few years there were opportunities to go to Poland, Hungary or the Czech Republic and scout out a squad of good honest inexpensive pros who would canter this level of Football. This would be a good stepping stone to the SPFL Premier, FA Premier League, Championship or League One clubs who regularly scout players from this league.

*insert signature here*

Sorry, I thought we were actually dealing with real achievements as a football club, as opposed to having a cum-soaked sock puppet and being 13 points behind Arbroath in the seaside league now.

Fuming that we haven’t made that pinnacle of achievement tbh.

You would actually think they had won that game, when in fact they led for about ten minutes in the 2nd leg when already 2 down.

I suppose they did beat the Tims a major cup final, something I’d be willing to give my right arm to see us do.

They were also a thorn in Rangers side in the lower leagues, beating them in the diddy cup final, knocking them out the Scottish Cup at Ibrox, and stopping them from winning the championship.

I’d take that in return for a couple of years in the seaside leagues. We’ve had that anyway.

There appeared to be somewhat of an effort fo change the mentality around the club at the biginning of the season, most notably from the chairman’s updates (remember them?) but that has long since died on its arse. We’ll be in League 1 again before we come close to the Premiership and that’s pretty depressing. Full time football isn’t the issue - as shown by the simillar sized teams listed above that have actually done things of note, we’re just guff at it.

Bang on mate, genuinely I meant right now so sadly everything you have said is bang on. Almost feels beyond hope now that we will turn a corner, especially since Crawford took only 1/6th of his plan to evaporate any confidence in him.

At this point it's probably naive as fuck, but I'm hoping that the unexpected departure of the Snake means that he's just writing off this season as a mid-table one and has something planned for the summer. However, he's probably disillusioned after that happened, and frankly I don't blame him. So yeah, unfortunately you're probably right, next year will be much the same.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived