Bring back Jim Duffy - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Bring back Jim Duffy

capitanus

Having watched Morton go toe to toe with Celtic and Rangers over the years, and win a fair proportion of those matches, I have to admit I was embarrassed to be a Ton fan that night, and took absolutely no pleasure in the performance or result, which was an absolute fluke and an injustice.

4bUV7Ls.gif

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NB: Given that it was in fact our first win at that piggery since 1971, I'd love to know what figure counts as 'winning a fair proportion' of matches by 'playin fitbuh thu rite way'.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Right enough, there’d have been more pleasure and sense in sending Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Tony Wallace and Kabba-Modou Cham out to ‘play football the right way’ and go all-out attack against a team containing the likes of Tom Rogic, Virgil Van Dijk, Teemu Pukki and Scott Brown.

At least the inevitable 6-0 gubbing would have been a plucky performance to be proud of.

I actually forgot VVD played that night. I wonder if he still remembers it from time to time? Perhaps the best player in the world - certainly the best defender in the world - over the last year, getting beaten by Tony Wallace.

EOho8Pw.png

Right enough, there’d have been more pleasure and sense in sending Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Tony Wallace and Kabba-Modou Cham out to ‘play football the right way’ and go all-out attack against a team containing the likes of Tom Rogic, Virgil Van Dijk, Teemu Pukki and Scott Brown.

At least the inevitable 6-0 gubbing would have been a plucky performance to be proud of.

Fair enough, there’s a place for your viewpoint as hopefully there is for mine. It’s just not my idea of football and not the reason I’ve followed Morton since 1964. I hate when other teams use those tactics so it would be contradictory of me to applaud Morton for it.

Fair enough, there’s a place for your viewpoint as hopefully there is for mine. It’s just not my idea of football and not the reason I’ve followed Morton since 1964. I hate when other teams use those tactics so it would be contradictory of me to applaud Morton for it.

No there's no place for that viewpoint here. You stated that you felt embarrassed at knocking out the Torbetts XI at the San Giro. That is perhaps the biggest result Morton have achieved in living memory for most of the supporters on here. We don't do Cup finals or 'Thistle do Nicely' results. We are never going to be media darlings. We are a hated club. But that night was our moment of glory. Don't be a dick by trying to spoil the great memories.

*insert signature here*

I actually forgot VVD played that night. I wonder if he still remembers it from time to time? Perhaps the best player in the world - certainly the best defender in the world - over the last year, getting beaten by Tony Wallace.

A couple of posts on P&B that night (from those listening on the radio) were along the lines of  - 

"This Van Dyke guy sounds terrible at heading"

"Is this just all Celtic kicking the ball at Van Dyke's head - doesn't sound like it's working"

Incredible to think that he is so highly thought of now given that he and his lot were pumped by a terrible Morton side.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Sorry Capitanus, not my idea of what Morton stand for!

I assume you are a parody account or are just taking the p1ss.

If not, what would you say it is that Morton stand for that was missing that night? Bearing in mind the squad of 16 we had, what should we have done?

Kabba Cham, Tony Wallace, Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Nico Caraux, are among the worst players to pull on a Jersey.

If you didn't enjoy everything about that night and then consequently everything about the melt down from smug celtic supporting pals and colleagues, I have to wonder what you have enjoyed about supporting morton.

What is it that you would say we stand for?

I assume you are a parody account or are just taking the p1ss.

If not, what would you say it is that Morton stand for that was missing that night? Bearing in mind the squad of 16 we had, what should we have done?

Kabba Cham, Tony Wallace, Marc Fitzpatrick, Jonathan Page, Nico Caraux, are among the worst players to pull on a Jersey.

If you didn't enjoy everything about that night and then consequently everything about the melt down from smug celtic supporting pals and colleagues, I have to wonder what you have enjoyed about supporting morton.

What is it that you would say we stand for?

I can only speak for my own experiences of what Morton means to me and I realise I will have blue and white tinted spectacles with quite a bit of nostalgia thrown in, however for me it’s along these lines:

1. Allan McGraw and the 1964 team breaking all post war records for wins and goals scored, playing home and away against any team as though we were the home team. This was my first experience so admittedly I’ve judged everything since against it. Guys like McGraw, Morris Stevenson, Jimmy Wilson and Hugh Strachan couldn’t have played defensive football if you’d held a gun to their heads!

2. Moving on to the Danish Invasion with Eric Sorensen, Per Bartram, Lief Nielsen, Bjarne Jensen, Preben Arentoft etc. As above, would probably hold a gun to your head if you even suggested playing defensively.

3. Add Joe Harper, Joe Mason, Tony Taylor and Willie Allan, then you have a team who’ll face up to anyone and fancy their chances, and were absolutely wonderful to watch!

4. Then came along the Benny Rooney era with Andy Ritchie, Mark McGhee, Bobby Thompson, Neil Orr, Jim Holmes etc. Even the defenders were attack minded! They would attack opposition home and away.

5. Then the Era of McInnes, Mahood, Rajamaki and Lindberg, under Allan McGraw. Again All they did was attack home and away.

6. Then Cowboy’s shwashbuckling team containing Williams, Weatherson, Maisano etc., who sold out almost every away ground in our way back up the leagues, such was our magnificent away support to watch our famous all out attacking philosophy.

That’s the Morton I’ve always loved and supported.

And in the last 15 years?

Also, Mcgraw teams only ever attacked home and away? That is not even nearly something the you can support with evidence. Also not true. If you bought a programme yesterday you may have read Mark Pickering article which spoke of how hard a team we were. Not all out attack. I am not even sure what this would look like.

Your point regarding VVD is also totally made up. If you watch the penalty award, the ball breaks off ambrose's hand straight to van Dijk who is the covering defender. Certainly not in the centre forward position.

If you want me to support everything I’ve said above with “evidence” then I’ll be on here for weeks. I’m a football fan not a lawyer FFS. As I said my comments regarding Morton are based entirely on my feelings, how awesome it felt to support a team who performed with skill and great heart in equal abundance, and as you say, hardness. Two of my favourite Ton legends were Billy Gray and Bobby Collins, who were widely regarded as the hardest characters you could wish to have in your team.

A couple of posts on P&B that night (from those listening on the radio) were along the lines of  - 

"This Van Dyke guy sounds terrible at heading"

"Is this just all Celtic kicking the ball at Van Dyke's head - doesn't sound like it's working"

Incredible to think that he is so highly thought of now given that he and his lot were pumped by a terrible Morton side.

It's not just that he's highly thought of; he really is that good. That's the absolutely crazy part.

EOho8Pw.png

If you want me to support everything I’ve said above with “evidence” then I’ll be on here for weeks. I’m a football fan not a lawyer FFS. As I said my comments regarding Morton are based entirely on my feelings, how awesome it felt to support a team who performed with skill and great heart in equal abundance, and as you say, hardness. Two of my favourite Ton legends were Billy Gray and Bobby Collins, who were widely regarded as the hardest characters you could wish to have in your team.

So what do Morton stand for?

You were unhappy with the manner that we defeated Celtic in 2013 as it is not the morton you have always known and loved.

You then give examples from bygone eras. What about the last 10 years?

I'm sorry but it's one of the most ridiculous things I have read regarding morton that someone would be unhappy with the manner of our victory against Celtic.

6. Then Cowboy’s shwashbuckling team containing Williams, Weatherson, Maisano etc., who sold out almost every away ground in our way back up the leagues, such was our magnificent away support to watch our famous all out attacking philosophy.

The trolling really jumped the shark here.

EOho8Pw.png

You are right about Dolly Gray and especially Bobby Collins. Played against Collins once and he was made of cast iron. Regarding your rather strange dissatisfaction with our win at Parkhead, we won against the odds with a shite team. That is every bit as valid as gubbing teams when you have a decent team. I for one was amazed and deliriously happy. We don't have the luxury of good teams these days and with our previous business model destroyed by Bosman, unlikely to have any in the immediate future.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived