World Cup 2018 Thread - Page 6 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018 Thread

It'd be a bit of a pisser being South Korean right now - their best result since 2002, one of the best in their history, and they're still going home. Mixed feelings for sure.

Germany have nobody to blame but themselves, seemed to believe their own hype after 2014 and got the basics wrongs.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be a bit of a pisser being South Korean right now - their best result since 2002, one of the best in their history, and they're still going home. Mixed feelings for sure.

Germany have nobody to blame but themselves, seemed to believe their own hype after 2014 and got the basics wrongs.

I’d argue it’s the best result in the history of Asian football, with the possible exception of North Korea beating Italy in 1966. The South’s victories over Italy and Spain in 2002 of course ultimately resulted in progression, but were clouded in controversy. Not seen the game yet as I was working, but whilst I heard Germany were stinking, beating the World Champions at a World Cup is unprecedented for any Asian team.

I’d argue it’s the best result in the history of Asian football, with the possible exception of North Korea beating Italy in 1966. The South’s victories over Italy and Spain in 2002 of course ultimately resulted in progression, but were clouded in controversy. Not seen the game yet as I was working, but whilst I heard Germany were stinking, beating the World Champions at a World Cup is unprecedented for any Asian team.

Yes, this as a result, and without the weirdness of 2002, is unquestionably better - but to me it comes down to the tournament outcome. Although the SK-Italy game was a travesty, the fact remains that the Koreans got to the last four, a monumental achievement if you just go by the history books.

So today was the best result in isolation, but not the most meaningful, imo.

EOho8Pw.png

Yes, this as a result, and without the weirdness of 2002, is unquestionably better - but to me it comes down to the tournament outcome. Although the SK-Italy game was a travesty, the fact remains that the Koreans got to the last four, a monumental achievement if you just go by the history books.

So today was the best result in isolation, but not the most meaningful, imo.

Aye, I'd agree with that. You've worded it a bit better than I did.

Argentina, Germany, Portugal and now Spain out.

Hmmmm, I reckon Russia is going to win this. I reckon that Putin and his henchmen have bought the trophy as well as the competition.

A Russia-England final with a 'we woz robbed' ending looks likely. Putin will herald this as a great anti-West triumph, the FIFA junta will get a big payday out of it whilst getting their chance to stick two fingers up to England again.

If this happens, the home nations should all boycott FIFA.

*insert signature here*

Argentina, Germany, Portugal and now Spain out.

Hmmmm, I reckon Russia is going to win this. I reckon that Putin and his henchmen have bought the trophy as well as the competition.

A Russia-England final with a 'we woz robbed' ending looks likely. Putin will herald this as a great anti-West triumph, the FIFA junta will get a big payday out of it whilst getting their chance to stick two fingers up to England again.

If this happens, the home nations should all boycott FIFA.

England and Russia can’t meet in the final. They’re due to meet in the semi final if they both get there.

That was an entertaining game if nothing else. Without taking anything away from Japan's excellent pressing, Belgium were pedestrian and lethargic in the first half. Japan being daft enough to leave that amount of space for the third Belgian goal means they deserves all they got. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

England vs the Cokeheads goes to a penalty shootout....

Who will miss England's penalty this time around? My money's on Vardy.

Henderson misses. Advantage Cokeheads.

Cokeheads misses.

Now3-3

Pickford saves. Advantage England.

Eric Dier scores. England through.

Drugs are for mugs.

*insert signature here*

Need to learn to close out a game when they're dominant. Wasn't sure about Pickford before the game but credit where it's due he did the business when it mattered most.

Archived