Romelu Lukaku - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Romelu Lukaku

TheGoon

Posting this here because we had a similar chant not long ago for Oyenuga. For anyone unsure of what I'm on about, here you go - https://t.co/5FMSDRxNZs

I joined in with the Kudus chant. It was stupid, it is stereotyping, but the guy himself admitted hr liked it. Perhaps that's why I'm struggling to be offended by this, when many others are.

There are so many worse chants/songs belted out at games every weekend, not to mention thousands of orcs still getting away with singing about **** blood and their love of the IRA. That doesn't make this right, or appropriate, but it does make it more difficult for me to be offended by it. Especially when the guy himself hasn't come and condemned it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorted TonOfMemories.

Re the song itself, I like the new one the Stretford End have started singing since the uproar over the original

Rooooomeeeellllluuuuu Luuuuukkkkaaaakkkkuuuu

He's our Belgian scoring genius

We can't sing about his penis

We're politically correct

But he's offside when erect

Best way to answer it all really ......

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Sorted TonOfMemories.

Re the song itself, I like the new one the Stretford End have started singing since the uproar over the original

Rooooomeeeellllluuuuu Luuuuukkkkaaaakkkkuuuu

He's our Belgian scoring genius

We can't sing about his penis

We're politically correct

But he's offside when erect

Best way to answer it all really ......

*boring intervention klaxon*

It's not about political corectness - there's a serious point behind the objections to this: that the 'black man with a large penis' thing was a deliberately constructed stereotype designed to portray black people as animalistic and a threat to white women.

It's not about political corectness - there's a serious point behind the objections to this: that the 'black man with a large penis' thing was a deliberately constructed stereotype designed to portray black people as animalistic and a threat to white women.

I seem to remember that Linford Christie used to get annoyed by the continual 'lunchbox' references to the size of his knob in the media, for this very reason. I also remember an interview where he said that if he had been a white guy who'd won a 100mm Olympic Gold Medal he'd be lauded in the media for his athletic achievement, whereas he felt his achievement was trivialised by them because their obsession about the size of his knob, and he considered that ultimately to be racist.

I suppose at the end of the day it's not for us white folk to decide what is and isn't racist for black people. So if Lukaku himself thinks it's offensive or racist, then by definition it is. But if on the other hand he doesn't mind, then why should we?  

Yeah, that's right about Linford Christie - he explicitly called it racist. The history of this included black people being castrated (amongst other things) - I think I read that this was particularly acute in Belgium, though you might know more than me about that.

None of this is to say that people creating/singing the song are therefore racist - but there's a genuinely good reason why people might object beyond a lazy reference to 'political correctness'.

Yeah, that's right about Linford Christie - he explicitly called it racist. The history of this included black people being castrated (amongst other things) - I think I read that this was particularly acute in Belgium, though you might know more than me about that.

None of this is to say that people creating/singing the song are therefore racist - but there's a genuinely good reason why people might object beyond a lazy reference to 'political correctness'.

As I said, I don't think it's for us to decide if it's racist or not. Only Lukaku himself can make that call. If he's cool with it so am I, but if he finds it offensive or racist then it is.

Just to clear things up, I didn't invent the song, just thought that it was a witty retort to the criticism.

Maybe they should have tried something like

He's our Belgian scoring genius,

Could have a fanny or a penis

With no comment on its size

In our multi cultural inclusive environment designed to recognise and tap into every individual's unique contributions and diversity

Rolls off the bástard lips that little ditty. Mouth lips like, not fanny lips, just to avoid any mysoginistic accusations.

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

As I said, I don't think it's for us to decide if it's racist or not. Only Lukaku himself can make that call. If he's cool with it so am I, but if he finds it offensive or racist then it is.

I don't disagree but it's a bit shit that it falls to Lukaku to be the moral arbiter of the great crisis of our time. I know exactly what you mean that it's not for us to decide but at the same time it's got to be a burden on the guy, who didn't really ask for any of this.

Really the only solution is for him to CONFIRM OR DENY whether or not he has a baldy half incher.

EOho8Pw.png

Posting this here because we had a similar chant not long ago for Oyenuga. For anyone unsure of what I'm on about, here you go - https://t.co/5FMSDRxNZs

I joined in with the Kudus chant. It was stupid, it is stereotyping, but the guy himself admitted hr liked it. Perhaps that's why I'm struggling to be offended by this, when many others are.

There are so many worse chants/songs belted out at games every weekend, not to mention thousands of orcs still getting away with singing about **** blood and their love of the IRA. That doesn't make this right, or appropriate, but it does make it more difficult for me to be offended by it. Especially when the guy himself hasn't come and condemned it.

What is stupid about it? Personally I thought it was brilliant, in fact it was the only thing about Oyenuga which could be described as brilliant.

Anyway, why is stereotyping so wrong in this respect but the wearing of Viking helmets etc. for the Finnish players thought of with such fondness?

*insert signature here*

I think that many would regard Pakistani males to be a far greater threat to white women than Afro-Carribean males, regardless the percieved size of their Genitals. The former are renowned for having particularly small tadgers:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*racial slur removed*%20boner

*insert signature here*

What is stupid about it? Personally I thought it was brilliant, in fact it was the only thing about Oyenuga which could be described as brilliant.

Anyway, why is stereotyping so wrong in this respect but the wearing of Viking helmets etc. for the Finnish players thought of with such fondness?

cmdc is right - this unfortunate 'mandingo' caricature started off as a negative. You can make a case for saying it's been reclaimed as a point of pride but it's still a bit tawdry.

The vikings, despite a lengthy tradition of rape and plunder, have somehow gathered quite a cuddly image, despite their atrocities (eg spawning Swedes.)

EOho8Pw.png

I can't let the above outrageous and offensive falsehoods go unchallenged.

Finns are not Vikings.

Exactly. And Vikings were renowned for murdering, raping, pillaging and terrorising foreign lands. Not exactly a positive stereotype to give a foreigner.

*insert signature here*

Can see your point but racism/stereotyping is about a group so I’m not sure it’s as easy as saying this individual reactedin a particular way.

There's no genuinely good reason to explain why Kick It Out have registered their strongly worded objection though: they're just scrambling for relevance and some extra funding. 

A pointless, self-declared arbiter of what is 'offensive': with as much credibility as Nil by Mouth's attempts to tackle sectarianism by declaring, err, just about everything to be 'sectarian'. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived