The Last Match You Went To? - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Last Match You Went To?

An update from the other thread:

[TRVMP]

Just Googled it, apparently the main team of Kosice right now is 'spiritually' the same one that played in the Champions League in the late 90s, but had to do an Airdrie United in 2005. They play in one of those horrific shallow bowls where the pitch is a good 10,000 Sumerian cubits from the bench seats. That'll be a laugh in late November.

Edit: apparently they finished 6th in the top flight last year but didn't get a license for this year's, hence they're in the second tier. Apparently so are lokal rivals Lokomotive Kosice, whose own ground seemingly has a capacity of 600. That might be a better trip. 

As of two weeks ago the main team in Kosice followed up 'doing an Airdrie United' by 'doing a Rangers'. Despite romping the second tier they couldn't provide guarantees to fulfill their top flight fixtures, were denied promotion and have folded. They'll probably reform in some even more ramshackle effort at some stage though.

Slovak football has now lost three, recent European-level sides in the last twelve months - Spartak Myjava bizarrely withdrew its first team halfway through the top flight season; while in the third tier Dukla Banska Bystrica also folded this month and are already looking to 'do an Airdrie United' on a local village team. A point worth bearing in mind when some gormless clown like Archie McPherson labels Scottish football "the laughing stock of Europe" for losing a few Europa League ties. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Just went on their website, apparently they're even closing down their youth teams, which have 480 players. Sair.

Still, at least Lokomotiva Kosice are still going "strong" (mid-table second division.)

EOho8Pw.png

• 1 month later...

Just home from Liverpool, went to the Everton v Sevilla game with Keir. Fantastic day out and quite impressed with most of Everton's signings especially Pickford, thought £30million was excessive for a keeper, but he was outstanding and MOM for me.

I've been to a few in recent months;

Sheffield United 3 Bradford 0 in April. Sheffield United had just been crowned champions and whilst it was a bit sombre for us, it was still a fantastic display.

Both play off games between East Kilbride and Cowdenbeath at K Park and Central Park. Disappointing outcome unfortunately, not especially because I was shouting for EK, I just wanted Cowdenbeath buried. Maybe this year.

East Kilbride 1 BSC Glasgow 1 on Tuesday with Dean. A decent enough game infront of a very healthy crowd, although we were eaten alive by midges. East Kilbride were probably the better team but failed to see it out with a late equaliser from Jack Smith, son of Andy, who made a couple of sub appearances for us in the relegation season.

Motherwell 1 Rangers 2 today. Got a shot of my pal's dad's season ticket. Motherwell probably deserved a draw but didn't really get started until they were a goal down. Entertaining enough game, if a predictable and depressing outcome. We were sat right beside the Rangers support in the main stand. What an absolute sub species.

I've been to a few in recent months;

Sheffield United 3 Bradford 0 in April. Sheffield United had just been crowned champions and whilst it was a bit sombre for us, it was still a fantastic display.

Both play off games between East Kilbride and Cowdenbeath at K Park and Central Park. Disappointing outcome unfortunately, not especially because I was shouting for EK, I just wanted Cowdenbeath buried. Maybe this year.

East Kilbride 1 BSC Glasgow 1 on Tuesday with Dean. A decent enough game infront of a very healthy crowd, although we were eaten alive by midges. East Kilbride were probably the better team but failed to see it out with a late equaliser from Jack Smith, son of Andy, who made a couple of sub appearances for us in the relegation season.

Motherwell 1 Rangers 2 today. Got a shot of my pal's dad's season ticket. Motherwell probably deserved a draw but didn't really get started until they were a goal down. Entertaining enough game, if a predictable and depressing outcome. We were sat right beside the Rangers support in the main stand. What an absolute sub species.

You missed a quality day down in Livepewl today mate. Didn't understand the fee for Pickford at the time, but outstanding today. He was the one player that Keir and I were both impressed with.

• 4 weeks later...

Carlisle United 1 v 1 Mansfield Town

With us having no game today, Keir and I went down to Brunton Park. Mansfield started the brighter of the two teams, but went behind against the run of play. Carlisle rallied after that and were in control until half time. Mansfield came out firing on all cylinders at the start of the second half and should've levelled the game when they got a dodgy pen early in the half, however, the Carlisle keeper saved ex-Ragers player Kane Hemmings weak effort. Mansfield did equalise after a good save by Carlisle's keeper fell to a Mansfield player who volleyed home. 1-1 ft and Carlisle will be happier with a point. Good day out to be honest.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I see thread regulars OH Leuven have appointed Nigel Pearson as their new manager. Is CHC an ostrich?

Big Nige makes his mark already, two wins and a draw since he took over including this impressive 0-3 win a Cercle Brugge this week, their first away win since December last year!

http://www.robtv.be/nieuws/leuven/ohl-haalt-uit-op-cercle

Edit to add: Weird how the interviewer at the end spoke to him in an English accent, he even pronounced 'Leuven' wrongly, the way native English speakers do. Reminded me of Steve McLaren speaking with a Dutch accent when he was manager of Twente, ha! 

I happened to be in Bilbao when they were playing their latest Europa League tie with FC Zorya. The game was instantly forgettable especially the sand-dancing performance of Inaki Wiliams - rumoured at one time to be of interest to Liverpool. The best player on the park was Iker Muniain who unfortunately injured himself and now looks to be out for the rest of the season. Everything else during the 90 minutes has been erased from my memory.

What was far more impressive was the stadium and the atmosphere in and around the stadium. The San Mames stadium is not only a fantastic arena for football but is an example of good architecture setting it apart from so many modern lego builds. Ideally located just on the edge of the city centre most fans walk to the game. Before kick-off and after the final whistle all the local bars and restaurants are teeming with fans meeting up and having a good time - not much chance for bother on this occasion as only six opposition fans made the journey! The thing was though you could see that the club means something to the city with so many outlets having flags, banners, strips etc on display. I know it is not comparable to sunny Greenock but one can dream. 

I happened to be in Bilbao when they were playing their latest Europa League tie with FC Zorya. The game was instantly forgettable especially the sand-dancing performance of Inaki Wiliams - rumoured at one time to be of interest to Liverpool. The best player on the park was Iker Muniain who unfortunately injured himself and now looks to be out for the rest of the season. Everything else during the 90 minutes has been erased from my memory.

What was far more impressive was the stadium and the atmosphere in and around the stadium. The San Mames stadium is not only a fantastic arena for football but is an example of good architecture setting it apart from so many modern lego builds. Ideally located just on the edge of the city centre most fans walk to the game. Before kick-off and after the final whistle all the local bars and restaurants are teeming with fans meeting up and having a good time - not much chance for bother on this occasion as only six opposition fans made the journey! The thing was though you could see that the club means something to the city with so many outlets having flags, banners, strips etc on display. I know it is not comparable to sunny Greenock but one can dream.

I believe Bilbao fans are amongst the most fanatical in Spain. A stadium I've always fancied visiting.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I believe Bilbao fans are amongst the most fanatical in Spain. A stadium I've always fancied visiting.

I suspect the game I attended was not the best occasion to see and hear the stadium bouncing. It is definitely though more than just about the football. Well worth a visit but if football is the main reason for visiting the city pick your game carefully - I just happened to be there and there was a game on. 

One other thing I meant to mention in my earlier post was for the game I attended most fans arrived no more than 10 minutes before kick-off. I know it was not a sell-out and the stadium has multiple gates but the electronic turnstiles worked perfectly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ages ago, when our game at some seaside resort was called off. Myself and LargsTon (I think) and a couple of others went up to Love Street and sat in the Caley Stand as St. Mirren beat Airdrie 1-0.

It was a dreadful game with a whole stadium full of pond life - especially the far-right mob in the away support..

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Ages ago, when our game at some seaside resort was called off. Myself and LargsTon (I think) and a couple of others went up to Love Street and sat in the Caley Stand as St. Mirren beat Airdrie 1-0.

It was a dreadful game with a whole stadium full of pond life - especially the far-right mob in the away support..

I'd forgot all about that. Airdrie fans are even worse close up.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Years and years ago I went to an SFL playoff game between Clyde and Airdrie at Broadwood, and it remains the only time I ever heard "**** bastard" at the football. I can't remember which Clyde player it was directed at but I remember being quite impressed that the Airdrie fan in question knew enough of the guy's biography to shout that at him.

Edit: fuck sake, it was "fenia* b*t*rd"

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Leeds United 1-2 Sheffield United

Went down to this last Friday as one of the mates down there was good enough to get me a ticket for the Blades' end. Cracking game in front of what was just about a full house at Elland Road. Billy Sharp opened the scoring after a couple of minutes with a close range header before Leeds scored a cracking equaliser with a volley from the edge of the box before half time. I thought they were the better team in the second half, hitting the inside of the post with about 20 minutes to go, before with 10 minutes left, David Brooks scored his first senior goal to win the game for Sheffield United, and the ensuing SCENES were a joy to behold.

Excellent return to the Championship so far, in spite of Tuesday's defeat at Loftus Road. With the Wednesday game at Bramall Lane now moved to Friday 12th January, that'll be my next planned trip to see them.

Leeds United 1-2 Sheffield United

Went down to this last Friday as one of the mates down there was good enough to get me a ticket for the Blades' end. Cracking game in front of what was just about a full house at Elland Road. Billy Sharp opened the scoring after a couple of minutes with a close range header before Leeds scored a cracking equaliser with a volley from the edge of the box before half time. I thought they were the better team in the second half, hitting the inside of the post with about 20 minutes to go, before with 10 minutes left, David Brooks scored his first senior goal to win the game for Sheffield United, and the ensuing SCENES were a joy to behold.

Excellent return to the Championship so far, in spite of Tuesday's defeat at Loftus Road. With the Wednesday game at Bramall Lane now moved to Friday 12th January, that'll be my next planned trip to see them.

The trackside adverts are saying "Team Toby - one day for Toby".

:D :D

*insert signature here*

Archived