alloa v morton - Page 16 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

alloa v morton

beetee

Getting the DoF appointment right is even more important than getting the right manager (or "head coach.")

I can unfortunately see Hawke picking some slimy agent guy who promises him some magic beans.

It'd end up being some sort of weird trench-coat wearing comedy character that signs a team of Ali Dias and Jonathan Totos before sending the entire transfer budget to a Nigerian price who's offered via email to send the next Jay-Jay Okotcha over on trial.

Sounds like a laugh tbh.

AWMSC

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, it’s a sh*te state of affairs. You often see fans of other clubs talking about “typical Thistle, typical Queens, typical Dundee” and the like. But really, does any club stumble from embarrassment to embarrassment quite like we do, and over such a sustained period? We’ve got a genuine claim to be the most laughable club in the UK for some of the ammunition we’ve given our detractors.

Sick of seeing Morton fans saying how funny it is too, notably on P&B. It’s not- it’s the latest in a long line of humiliations we’ve had to endure and it’s a wonder so many of us stick it out. Once again we’re a laughing stock to the extent that neutrals and fans of other clubs are questioning our squad’s integrity and suggesting they had Alloa on the coupon.

Maybe I take football to seriously, but it’s downright humiliating. Christ, being a Morton fan you become hardened to defeat and disappointment, but ffs, how many humiliating point-and-laugh moments do we have to endure, or is this just the hand that life’s dealt us?

You can’t throw the 2004 betting scandal, the subsequent years of failure to win promotion, the disgusting 2014 season, 10-2, Spartans and nationwide, possible worldwide humiliation with the power of social media at fans and continue to expect them to cut you some slack.

Supporting Morton’s grim, and I can’t see any way that’ll ever change. The only positive is that we’re not Rangers.

That pretty much sums up my feelings after Saturday. When you consider the embarrassments we have had to endure over the last 30/35 years, with hardly any success over that period and clubs of comparable size widening the gap between them and us, it’s actually amazing that we still get crowds of over a thousand.

That pretty much sums up my feelings after Saturday. When you consider the embarrassments we have had to endure over the last 30/35 years, with hardly any success over that period and clubs of comparable size widening the gap between them and us, it’s actually amazing that we still get crowds of over a thousand.

Totally agree with both this post and Toby’s. We are the most under achieving club in Scottish football and we continue to make excuses for mediocrity. We know there’s no magic wand but surely we have to have our turn for moderate success at some point in our lifetime. It’s truly amazing the fan base we still have considering the lack of ambition if the club.

BBC sport have a link to the own goal on their UK wide Sports Page now, asking if is the most calamitous own goal ever.

BBC certainly getting some mileage out of it, having the calamitous link and also including it on their bbc3 weekly roundup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/46866174

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/6e3f527d-3213-4f2c-8e05-b033c96a218d

"It's great to be nationally recognized and this kind of exposure can only highlight what superb work we're doing as a community club," said Cappielow chief exec Warren Hawke, before returning to sucking himself off.

EOho8Pw.png

Currently we are the epitome of a mediocre mid-table team.  We have a couple of good performances and then we lose to Alloa.  I'm putting a few quid on East Fife on Saturday - that should ensure we win.

FFS JJ, stop talking in platitudes and cliches - either improve the team or step aside.  Theresa May would be more decisive than you are.  Actually she may be available before the end of the week.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I would accept the use of the word results but not sure I can agree on performances.

I'd dispute the notion that beating Partick is a good result, to be honest. They're fuckin rotten, we should be beating them. The Ross County one was a good result for sure, but the performance was pretty dire apart from a spell in the second half; it's certainly been put into context by Queens scudding them. A win's a win, but that kind of performance and approach will lose more often  than it doesn't. If somebody like McGhee was presiding over this, there'd be angry mobs outside Cappielow with pitch forks.

Also, on the moaning about the squad: McKinnon assembled a decent enough if limited group in a short time and had it playing, or at least trying to in a visible way, in a manner that was clearly defined. We played high up, pressed the ball, tried to have as much of it as possible and wanted to have our best players near the other team's goal. It wasn't perfect, but it was considerably better than what we have now and was getting the best out of most of our players: Millar and Tidser would've been stick-ons for the Team of the Year if they carried on that form (and system), whilst McAlister, McKeown and MacLean in particular were performing better.

It's worth pointing out that McKinnon had less time with the group than Johansson had and had to build it from scratch and managed to have it progressing in a reasonably coherent manner; Johansson's taken a team that was in a decent enough shape if perhaps not title-winning nick - admittedly in weird circumstances, but fact of the matter is it was a damn sight better than taking over from a struggling one -  and made it significantly worse in every way and again, has had far more time with the group than McKinnon. It's not Football Manager we're dealing with here, chances are if you take over a team you're going to have somebody else's players: it's up to you to make the best of what's there, you need to earn the right to be there long enough to start assembling your own squad.

It's possible that the start of the season was the anomaly and the players have reverted to type, but given the dismantling of a system and style to replace it with...well, nothing, it'd be quite the contortion to make that case. 

We've got a group of players who with half-decent management should be playing a reasonably attractive style and disposing of the Falkirks, Alloas and Particks of the league (and the Peterheads of the Cup) with relative ease and matching the likes of Dunfermline (the performance against them at home under Johansson was truly awful, even if we did steal a point). With good management, we'd be well on course for securing 4th at least when you look at the standard of everybody else, but with a bad manager with no defined style or attacking intent, a bunch of alright players levels have dropped a few notches and it's compounded matters. If you had team full of Millars and Tidsers maybe things could be alleviated a little, but at the level we operate as a club, we're never going to have that and poor management is going to be impossible to overcome. Players at our level simply aren't that good to perform at their best in a vacuum. 

It's funny that people complain about players coming in for trials or a bit of training yet are consistently happy for incompetent staff to keep drawing a wage just because it seems impolite to even criticise them.

AWMSC

I make it two wins in twelve league games for JJ against teams that aren't in the bottom two of the division and a few of the defeats have been utter humiliations.

You can make a multitude of excuses for him but at the end of the day it's just not good enough. If we can't beat the teams around us more consistently then they are going to slip towards the relegation playoff spot.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'd dispute the notion that beating Partick is a good result, to be honest. They're ****in rotten, we should be beating them. The Ross County one was a good result for sure, but the performance was pretty dire apart from a spell in the second half; it's certainly been put into context by Queens scudding them. A win's a win, but that kind of performance and approach will lose more often than it doesn't. If somebody like McGhee was presiding over this, there'd be angry mobs outside Cappielow with pitch forks.

Also, on the moaning about the squad: McKinnon assembled a decent enough if limited group in a short time and had it playing, or at least trying to in a visible way, in a manner that was clearly defined. We played high up, pressed the ball, tried to have as much of it as possible and wanted to have our best players near the other team's goal. It wasn't perfect, but it was considerably better than what we have now and was getting the best out of most of our players: Millar and Tidser would've been stick-ons for the Team of the Year if they carried on that form (and system), whilst McAlister, McKeown and MacLean in particular were performing better.

It's worth pointing out that McKinnon had less time with the group than Johansson had and had to build it from scratch and managed to have it progressing in a reasonably coherent manner; Johansson's taken a team that was in a decent enough shape if perhaps not title-winning nick - admittedly in weird circumstances, but fact of the matter is it was a damn sight better than taking over from a struggling one - and made it significantly worse in every way and again, has had far more time with the group than McKinnon. It's not Football Manager we're dealing with here, chances are if you take over a team you're going to have somebody else's players: it's up to you to make the best of what's there, you need to earn the right to be there long enough to start assembling your own squad.

It's possible that the start of the season was the anomaly and the players have reverted to type, but given the dismantling of a system and style to replace it with...well, nothing, it'd be quite the contortion to make that case.

We've got a group of players who with half-decent management should be playing a reasonably attractive style and disposing of the Falkirks, Alloas and Particks of the league (and the Peterheads of the Cup) with relative ease and matching the likes of Dunfermline (the performance against them at home under Johansson was truly awful, even if we did steal a point). With good management, we'd be well on course for securing 4th at least when you look at the standard of everybody else, but with a bad manager with no defined style or attacking intent, a bunch of alright players levels have dropped a few notches and it's compounded matters. If you had team full of Millars and Tidsers maybe things could be alleviated a little, but at the level we operate as a club, we're never going to have that and poor management is going to be impossible to overcome. Players at our level simply aren't that good to perform at their best in a vacuum.

It's funny that people complain about players coming in for trials or a bit of training yet are consistently happy for incompetent staff to keep drawing a wage just because it seems impolite to even criticise them.

I'd dispuite the notion of matching Dunfermline. They are a point off Alloa and are worried enough about the fact that they are sliding into the relegation battle that they binned their manager.

If we should be disposing of Alloa etc with relative ease, Dunfermline should be on that list also.

The fact that they scudded us, and Alloa are now owning us, it's bewildering that so many are so casual that we won't get sucked in too.

On the point about trialists - from what I recall, most of the detractors of the trialists were also firmly in the TTG camp.

Just watched the highlights again and they confirmed what I had picked up before this season. It's actually Millar who's the biggest culprit for not tracking back. Don't take my word for it though, have another look but concentrate on him.

Don't take my word for it though

We don't already; thanks for playing anyway. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived