Ayr vs Morton - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ayr vs Morton

BishopBrennan

"Jim McAlister's very important to the team as a captain and a player. His passing was good and he was getting into the box as well which is what I want him to do."

I think that's the end of saying Johansson always speaks well after games, not a clue what he's watching there.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why on earth would you want a player who hasn't scored a goal in about 4 years in the box? All McAlister's ill-judged forward runs achieve is to push Millar, Tidser or Telfer further back, all of whom are significantly better at them. On top of that he makes a habit of never actually showing for the ball, more often than not he's in a position where he can't possibly receive it: his job is to drop deep and take it from the defence then to always be an option behind the other midfielders and to move it on quickly. He does neither of those, nor does he actually do much breaking up of opposition attacks.

About the only thing he actually does is be the first person to get involved in any outbreaks of handbags. Waste of a jersey, either he bucks his ideas up or gets dropped upon Millar's return.

AWMSC

Why on earth would you want a player who hasn't scored a goal in about 4 years in the box? All McAlister's ill-judged forward runs achieve is to push Millar, Tidser or Telfer further back, all of whom are significantly better at them. On top of that he makes a habit of never actually showing for the ball, more often than not he's in a position where he can't possibly receive it: his job is to drop deep and take it from the defence then to always be an option behind the other midfielders and to move it on quickly. He does neither of those, nor does he actually do much breaking up of opposition attacks.

About the only thing he actually does is be the first person to get involved in any outbreaks of handbags. Waste of a jersey, either he bucks his ideas up or gets dropped upon Millar's return.

Hard to know where to begin with all that except to note that you don't rate Jim McAlister.

JJ isn't saying I want him to live in the opposition box, he's saying I want him to drive forward when that opportunity presents itself which is self evidently absolutely correct.

Every player in the team has a principle role to play but that shouldn't shackle them into a box or zone from which they never move as they interpret what is going on around them and players breaking through from the back is often the way to create, particularly against a team set up to defend.

Of course it is all about opinions and I respect yours albeit that they tend on balance to be rather pessimistic. However to describe McAlister as 'a waste of a jersey' is patently ridiculous.

At the risk of going all VikingTon about it, what exactly is it that McAlister's doing consistently to make him a useful part of the team? Be as specific as you like, and while you're at it explain why he should be playing that role ahead of Millar who excelled there in the top flight for a decade.

AWMSC

Every player in the team has a principle role to play but that shouldn't shackle them into a box or zone from which they never move as they interpret what is going on around them and players breaking through from the back is often the way to create, particularly against a team set up to defend.

Of course it is all about opinions and I respect yours albeit that they tend on balance to be rather pessimistic. However to describe McAlister as 'a waste of a jersey' is patently ridiculous.

And what is McAlister's role to play, other than pointing at teammates while failing to show for a pass to an extent that Derek Young would be jealous of? Other than the Partick game he's been a complete passenger for weeks.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I'm really not understanding the extent of the criticism of McAlister.

He has not been very good or effective since he joined us.

If you took him out of the team I really don’t think it would be to our detriment or all that noticeable.

He has not been very good or effective since he joined us.

If you took him out of the team I really don’t think it would be to our detriment or all that noticeable.

I can't say I agree with that. We'd be in a far worse position if that we're true, given how poor our defence has been this season.

He was very good yesterday, and central to a team which frustrated Ayr to the extent that they posed little to no danger whatsoever.

I think that if our players were carrying the monitors that are now so popular for measuring distances travelled and a whole range of other data Jim McAlister would probably feature at or near the top.

Now he could be running round like a headless chicken but I don't think he is and his closing down of opponents and making himself available to his teammates to take the ball are both invaluable to the team.

Whether or not he could make better use of the ball is an issue and that may well be what JJ is referring to when he suggests that he could get further forward.

I think that if our players were carrying the monitors that are now so popular for measuring distances travelled and a whole range of other data Jim McAlister would probably feature at or near the top

I couldn't disagree more tbh.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived