General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 8 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

They are. I've stood amongst them on numerous occasions and worked alongside a few. Every support has a bad element.

Agree. Bad element is a bit harsh though, bawbag element is probably closer to the truth.

A few years ago I used to visit KLM's warehouse at Schiphol on a weekly basis. According to the football fans in there it's the Amsterdam based fans who are the utter bawbags.

• Downvote 3

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

That's a bit like saying Celtic are a wonderful club without a legacy of child abuse and their supporters don't sing pro-IRA songs; all on the basis of reading a puff piece about Jay Beatty having a pre-match walkabout with Jorge Samaras or because the Green Brigade donated money to the snowflakes of Palestine.

Every club will at some time or other have done their bit for a local charity. No news there.

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

FC Dudelange of Luxembourg makes it into the Europa League group stage.

Really puts the constant failure of Aberdeen, Hibs etc into perspective

In fairness clubs from emerging nations like Moldova and Ireland have also made it in recent years. Dudelange* beat CFR Cluj - who had none other than Julio Baptista on the bench - convincingly over two legs, and did so with a largely homegrown squad. These things happen. A few years back another Luxembourgish team, Differdange, beat Utrecht in the same competition and only went out on penalties to Tromso.

Meanwhile Hibs were beaten by a Molde side with a bigger budget and who gave Zenit a scare. Aberdeen can't realistically expect to compete with Burnley, who are a superbly-run club with a wage bill very low for the EPL... but one that's still over ten times that of the Dons.

The biggest failure in Europe this season was that of Celtic to overcome an AEK team that, although impressive, is still rebuilding and poorer than Celtic.

*I am delighted to note that in the local language, Dudelange is known as Didderleng.

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Five people injured in crush at Celtic Park today:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16683409.five-celtic-fans-injured-after-being-crushed-outside-parkhead-stadium/

I recall being caught up in a near-crush there albeit at the Lisbon Lions Stand before the Scotland vs. England game a couple of years back, it was frightening. It was the result of not enough turnstiles working.

It is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident there, for that very reason they should not be allowed to host any more Scotland games.

*insert signature here*

Firhill screamed safety hazard yesterday and what the **** were those urinals about? Tiny.

I was saying that on the way out the ground. With the length of time it took to get out, and what looks like fairly limited access to the pitch, if that place went on fire you’d have no chance.

People in glass houses I suppose, but how that place got a safety certificate is a mystery.

Five people injured in crush at Celtic Park today:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16683409.five-celtic-fans-injured-after-being-crushed-outside-parkhead-stadium/

I recall being caught up in a near-crush there albeit at the Lisbon Lions Stand before the Scotland vs. England game a couple of years back, it was frightening. It was the result of not enough turnstiles working.

It is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident there, for that very reason they should not be allowed to host any more Scotland games.

FTOF

I was saying that on the way out the ground. With the length of time it took to get out, and what looks like fairly limited access to the pitch, if that place went on fire you’d have no chance.

People in glass houses I suppose, but how that place got a safety certificate is a mystery.

Firhill is pish. Our stand isn't the best but compared to that thing it's luxurious.

AWMSC

In what may be the last city-only, full-time professional league still going, the two giants of the Calcutta Premier League played out a 2-2 draw the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6_Clko55E

The Calcutta Premier League is fascinating, having teams with names like "Food Corporation" playing in front of a few hundred, while the big derby can have between 40,000 and 120,000, this being the capacity of Salt Lake Stadium. This particular game had 65,000.

East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, after this tie, remain joint-top of the league, with MB ahead on goals scored:

https://us.soccerway.com/national/india/calcutta-premier-division/2018/regular-season/r46078/

The two teams, representing opposite sides of the Bengali political divide, dominate the CPL and also are among the most successful and stable clubs in the I-League, the official top league of India. (The Indian Super League is a short-season exhibition contest and doesn't send players into AFC contintental competition; the I-League, as a full-season competition, remains the official top league under the auspices of the AIFF, the country's FA.)

EOho8Pw.png

Scotland's womens team qualified for the World Cup. Meh.

I don't really watch the women's game but that's still a pretty great achievement, and I'll be sure to watch one of their group matches. Well done to them.

EOho8Pw.png

It's a great achievement for the national team. I've been to all of the home fixtures during the campaign and the performances have been excellent. Getting more players into full time football has definitely had a positive impact compared to previous campaigns.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I have watched both league and national fixtures over a number of years. The achievement of the team to reach the World Cup should not be dismissed albeit I struggle to get enthusiastic over the standard on offer. The biggest issue is more often than not the goal-keeping which can be awful. Hopefully with more exposure the game will grow and attract more girls to play the game. I do not believe it will ever be 'commercially viable' in Scotland but then again much of football is not viable! 

I have watched both league and national fixtures over a number of years. The achievement of the team to reach the World Cup should not be dismissed albeit I struggle to get enthusiastic over the standard on offer. The biggest issue is more often than not the goal-keeping which can be awful. Hopefully with more exposure the game will grow and attract more girls to play the game. I do not believe it will ever be 'commercially viable' in Scotland but then again much of football is not viable!

The standard is improving all the time and increasing profile of the game will only help that. The standard across the board is improving with every tournament that passes. The good teams are improving all the time and the poor teams are becoming less poor. The games are often highly focused on technical and tactical ability which can make for some really entertaining football on offer.

As for commercial viability, I reckon given the same input and effort the SWPL would be a more commercially viable league than the likes of League Two or the Lowland League. Give me Glasgow City vs Hibs over Civil Service Strollers vs Edusport Academy.

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

In what may be the last city-only, full-time professional league still going, the two giants of the Calcutta Premier League played out a 2-2 draw the other day:

The Calcutta Premier League is fascinating, having teams with names like "Food Corporation" playing in front of a few hundred, while the big derby can have between 40,000 and 120,000, this being the capacity of Salt Lake Stadium. This particular game had 65,000.

East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, after this tie, remain joint-top of the league, with MB ahead on goals scored:

https://us.soccerway.com/national/india/calcutta-premier-division/2018/regular-season/r46078/

The two teams, representing opposite sides of the Bengali political divide, dominate the CPL and also are among the most successful and stable clubs in the I-League, the official top league of India. (The Indian Super League is a short-season exhibition contest and doesn't send players into AFC contintental competition; the I-League, as a full-season competition, remains the official top league under the auspices of the AIFF, the country's FA.)

I like Football but that would be too extreme. It must be absolutely stinking. I think I'll pass on that one.

• Downvote 1

*insert signature here*

I'm a total no-life and one of my favorite things to do on a Sunday is try to head-count attendances from obscure leagues worldwide. I'm currently on CONCACAF, and Guyana (who play in the Caribbean setup because i. they're culturally closer to it than the rest of South America and ii. they'd get absolutely shoed 20-0 by everyone in CONMEBOL.)

Anyway, while Googling around for match photos and highlights I found this site:

https://mycujoo.tv/

All manner of weird football leagues seem to stream here for free. There are live games all throughout the day. You can watch the Pernambucano 2nd division right now, or Mali U17 vs. their Gambian counterparts. (Perhaps a lesser Cham brother is playing.) 

I'd never even heard of this site until today but it seems to be, if it's too obscure for a bookie to stream for free, you might be able to find it here.

EOho8Pw.png