World Cup 2018 Thread - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018 Thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A comfortable lead for the Russians at half time, despite having the Russian Kris Doolan up front. The Saudis have offered absolutely nothing going forward but I still have a feeling they'll score at some point. I've been impressed with Golovin, he is by far the biggest prospect in Russian football at the moment. I reckon it'll finish 3-1.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Didn't know that the 2004 Arran Select pub team was still kicking around at this level tbh. Has there ever been a tournament - other than the one that FIFA blatantly fixed to give the hosts a chance in 2002 of course - in which the teams from Asia haven't been absolutely fucking abysmal? Remove all of their automatic slots and force them into pre-qualifying rounds with Gibraltar and the Solomon Islands instead. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In terms of being a football mad country but stl absolutely gubbins, the Saudis are right up there with other failures like Peru and Scotland. Although at least the former two qualified.

I liked the look of Cheryshev too, I assume he didn't start because they were resting him, but he made a difference when he came on, and not just with the goals.

EOho8Pw.png

In terms of being a football mad country but stl absolutely gubbins, the Saudis are right up there with other failures like Peru and Scotland. Although at least the former two qualified.

I liked the look of Cheryshev too, I assume he didn't start because they were resting him, but he made a difference when he came on, and not just with the goals.

Cherysev is a cracking player on his day, showed what he can do there in spells although in terms of club football his finest moment is always going to be getting Madrid papped out the Copa del Rey.

I actually thought the Saudis had a few decent wee moments and half-chances, a couple of players looked pretty tidy with the ball but overall they really ain't good at all; have to question the way Pizzi sent them out too, even for a weak team the lack of shape was really poor. At least they make a go of it though, would rather a shite team that offers up 5-0 pumpings than bores everybody to tears just to lose 1-0 anyway so there'll be goals aplenty. The game against Uruguay should be a veritable bloodbath.

Not really sure if Russia are good or not...certainly looked a lot better than they were made out to be and should probably get 2nd in the group. Be interesting to see how they do against a better side, as in, anybody else in the tournament.

Entertaining enough game overall though, I thought. Not the greatest quality but very watchable, so if that's how the poorer games go then it should be a good tournament.

AWMSC

Cherysev is a cracking player on his day, showed what he can do there in spells although in terms of club football his finest moment is always going to be getting Madrid papped out the Copa del Rey.

I actually thought the Saudis had a few decent wee moments and half-chances, a couple of players looked pretty tidy with the ball but overall they really ain't good at all; have to question the way Pizzi sent them out too, even for a weak team the lack of shape was really poor. At least they make a go of it though, would rather a s***e team that offers up 5-0 pumpings than bores everybody to tears just to lose 1-0 anyway so there'll be goals aplenty. The game against Uruguay should be a veritable bloodbath.

Not really sure if Russia are good or not...certainly looked a lot better than they were made out to be and should probably get 2nd in the group. Be interesting to see how they do against a better side, as in, anybody else in the tournament.

Entertaining enough game overall though, I thought. Not the greatest quality but very watchable, so if that's how the poorer games go then it should be a good tournament.

Yeah, that and the fans in the stands shouting "Rafa, check your phone" is one of those scenes that I don't think will ever be surpassed.

The Saudis did have good attacking movement but burnt out far too quickly, and for all their decent work on the flanks they never really created anything great, other than one half-chance at 1-0. I do agree the entertainment value was there but realistically a team that leaves not one but two men for free headers, like they did for the first, is probably going to produce (read: allow) goals but are they really at the pinnacle of world football? I'd be absolutely raging if Scotland gave up a goal like that.

Uruguay could put ten past them.

EOho8Pw.png

Semi-professional Russian cage fighters vs Fat Barry from Birmingham with 12 Stellas and a #FreeTommyRobinson t-shirt contests. Can't wait.

Most of the English whom we met at last year's Scotland v England game were actually sound folk, with the exception of some Wolves supporters who were total dickheads and wore Lonsdale jackets. Fucking tramps.

*insert signature here*

Most of the English whom we met at last year's Scotland v England game were actually sound folk, with the exception of some Wolves supporters who were total dickheads and wore Lonsdale jackets. ****ing tramps.

It might be me mellowing with age, or the media changing, or the fanbase changing, or just having some distance from it all, but I think the days of a large number of England fans being completely unrealistic and chauvanistic about foreign teams is at an end. Yes, there will always be some like that, and there will also be a lot of pwopa nawty bellends, but maybe years of failure (and getting hounded across the continent) have knocked some humility into them.

EOho8Pw.png

The game last June we were in a Wetherspoons before the game and it was pretty much 50/50 in terms of Scots/English split.

There was a massive armed police presence outside the pub, the like ive never seen on the Streets of Glasgow before as it was just shortly after the Muslim terrorist attacks in London Bridge and Manchester, so it had a bit of a strange and eery atmosphere to it. I think that the English felt safe in amongst the Scots and vice versa, if any of those filthy fuckers tried something like that they'd have been on a hiding to nothing.

*insert signature here*

Yeah, that and the fans in the stands shouting "Rafa, check your phone" is one of those scenes that I don't think will ever be surpassed.

At one point he was threatening to leave La Liga because the Barca fans went wild when he came out to warm out for Villarreal and gave him a standing ovation when he came on, which was a pretty great moment too. I actually saw Cherysev play at the Nou Camp earlier that year, he was very, very good.

The Saudis did have good attacking movement but burnt out far too quickly, and for all their decent work on the flanks they never really created anything great, other than one half-chance at 1-0. I do agree the entertainment value was there but realistically a team that leaves not one but two men for free headers, like they did for the first, is probably going to produce (read: allow) goals but are they really at the pinnacle of world football? I'd be absolutely raging if Scotland gave up a goal like that.

Uruguay could put ten past them.

Yeah, definitely true, but again, you have to wonder about the manager. I know the Asian qualifiers aren't the toughest, but even so they can't be so bad that they can't do the basics, surely. Sometimes a team really should get in behind the ball even if its just in spells.

They're not anywhere close to the pinnacle of world football, but the World Cup isn't/shouldn't *just* about the best teams. Sometimes there's going to be rubbish ones, but it's part of of the tournament; I think it'd lose a lot of its appeal if instead of giving every region a fair crack at qualification, it became a gerrymandered sea of mediocre European teams. I'd rather have the likes of Saudi Arabia (being careful to separate team and state) than Slovenia at a World Cup any day. Maybe they are better, but so what? I admit that that's maybe quite a romantic, wistful and even out-dated notion, but there you go. 

Anyway, today's games should be a decent bunch. Looking forward to seeing Uruguay, quite fancy them to go a decent way in the tournament...with a bit of luck it's not unreasonable that they could make the semis.

AWMSC

They're not anywhere close to the pinnacle of world football, but the World Cup isn't/shouldn't *just* about the best teams. Sometimes there's going to be rubbish ones, but it's part of of the tournament; I think it'd lose a lot of its appeal if instead of giving every region a fair crack at qualification, it became a gerrymandered sea of mediocre European teams.

The only reason Saudi Arabia are at the World Cup is gerrymandering - if they held open qualifiers then you'd still have a few diddies making the cut but not some bunch of rent-a-jobbers who are there based on an accident of geography rather than merit. I'd rather have a few more European or South American sides that actually know what they're doing rather than clowns who literally passed the ball out of play under no pressure at the back about half a dozen times yesterday. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Uruguay are being frustrated quite comfortably by Egypt here and might well get picked off on the break in the second half. 

On that showing n with salah to come in i think they will beat saudi n russia n go through.

Salah would have offered the end product that they lacked so I think they can be confident of that, but realistically the second round will be the end of their tournament.

Still, it's nice to see a football-crazy country that hasn't qualified for a while looking alright. I hope Peru can get a result tomorrow as well.

Buzzing for the next two games today.

EOho8Pw.png

I know we go through this every two years, but **** me the punditry is awful.

The quality of punditry in the US is getting better year on year. You might not expect it but Warren Barton is a fantastic analyst of the game, for example. I think it's precisely because it's a minority sport here that the pundits have to try harder to inform, and there's less of a cultural reason for them to (for example) make everything about the domestic league or cliched fan beliefs.

That said the person introducing the Moroccan team right now is reading off a script and doing so badly with lots of pauses. Sad!

EOho8Pw.png

Archived