ICT vs Morton - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

ICT vs Morton

TheGoon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defence as a whole lacks leadership and I don't think either goalkeeper is going to offer that. Which is why the idea of wasting resources on two first team goalkeepers to provide competition doesn't work because there's no chance of us actually swapping keepers on a regular basis. We should have copied Livingston's example by pooling our resources for a better option (such as Bell who was available) rather than having two average picks. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's not really a 'keeper's job to get the basics of a defence sorted.

Disagree. The goalkeeper has an excellent view of many unfolding situations on the park and needs to communicate with his backline. I recall Alan Main constantly screaming his way through matches against us for Gretna to ensure that the absolute jobbers they had like Mark Birch - really a Third Division level carthorse at best - didn't regularly fuck things up for them during their saunter through the leagues. That is what a good goalkeeper can do even with dross directly in front of him. 

We have two players who don't look comfortable doing that and that is one of the main reasons why they'll never end up playing regularly in the top flight. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

All of that can be said of Gaston too.

Nah I don't agree. He's not as static as Scully and is more willing to come off his line so the defence seem to sit deeper when he's not in goal and it's all a bit last ditch.

I think most fans acknowledge both Gaston and Scully are excellent shot-stoppers but neither is that good at coming for crosses and communicating with the defence. At our level they are fine but it is questionable if they are good enough to help us win promotion. Irnbru's stauner for Gaston is however sweet.

Nah I don't agree. He's not as static as Scully and is more willing to come off his line so the defence seem to sit deeper when he's not in goal and it's all a bit last ditch.

Gaston coming off his line?

When did this happen?

Gaston coming off his line?

When did this happen?

I know he doesn't do it enough at corners but in open play he gets the defence playing higher up the park and they don't seem to drop as deep to protect the box.

I know he doesn't do it enough at corners but in open play he gets the defence playing higher up the park and they don't seem to drop as deep to protect the box.

This seasons defence or last seasons?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I'n surprised nobody has mentioned Gary Oliver brilliantly gaining possession with his elbow in the run up to our goal. 

Somebody already did:

Looked like it could have been handball by Oliver for our goal

So it's yet another shite contribution from the Groomee. Rd;dh.

Somebody already did:

So it's yet another s***e contribution from the Groomee. Rd;dh.

I stand corrected then.

Fully deserved red dot for that.

Carry on.  :thumbup2:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I think most fans acknowledge both Gaston and Scully are excellent shot-stoppers but neither is that good at coming for crosses and communicating with the defence. At our level they are fine but it is questionable if they are good enough to help us win promotion. Irnbru's stauner for Gaston is however sweet.

Nah, I disagree.

As well as being an excellent shot-stopper, I’ve also been impressed with Scully's willingness to come out and claim crosses and more often than not he collects the ball and takes a lot of pressure off the defence.

Disagree. The goalkeeper has an excellent view of many unfolding situations on the park and needs to communicate with his backline. I recall Alan Main constantly screaming his way through matches against us for Gretna to ensure that the absolute jobbers they had like Mark Birch - really a Third Division level carthorse at best - didn't regularly **** things up for them during their saunter through the leagues. That is what a good goalkeeper can do even with dross directly in front of him. 

We have two players who don't look comfortable doing that and that is one of the main reasons why they'll never end up playing regularly in the top flight. 

While it's true that they have an excellent view, surely that should be used to counter specific threats, rather than point out basic things like "don't lose your man". This is particularly true if we have defenders who are supposed to have leadership qualities themselves.

No argument, however, that one top 'keeper beats two good ones.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived