MOTM vs Ayr United 29th September 2018 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MOTM vs Ayr United 29th September 2018

Admin

MOTM  

22 members have voted

1. 1. vs Ayr

• Ryan Scully
    • Reghan Tumilty
    • Rory McKeown
    • Lee Kilday
    • Gregor Buchanan
    • Michael Tidser
    • Chris Millar
    • Jim McAllister
    • Scott Tiffoney
    • Gary Oliver
    • Charlie Telfer
    • Ross MacLean
    • Reece Lyon
    • Bob McHugh

Must've been only around 1600 Morton fans then. Grim.

Think back to pre-season when some geniuses thought that the jump in season ticket sales was an indicator of how things were on the up, and that we'd see a jump in attendances.

The truth being, as I wrote at the time, that the die-hards had all bought season tickets, to avoid the shambles of queuing twice every week! The end result being that our income for the season is probably going to be way down on previous seasons... clever economics.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Think back to pre-season when some geniuses thought that the jump in season ticket sales was an indicator of how things were on the up, and that we'd see a jump in attendances.

The truth being, as I wrote at the time, that the die-hards had all bought season tickets, to avoid the shambles of queuing twice every week! The end result being that our income for the season is probably going to be way down on previous seasons... clever economics.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story though, eh? Some geniuses didn't think that the jump was an indicator of an increase in attendances- you stated that it wouldn't be, a point that wasn't disputed, but was highlighted to point out that, rather than being seen as a positive as the club were making baby steps you were using it as a tool to draw attention to your insufferable, attention seeking agenda.

Here is your original post, and my reply to it, from roughly ten weeks ago;

Surely people realise it's the die-hards that have bought season tickets, because it was such a good offer... and very significantly, to avoid the absolute farce of having to join two queues to get into Cappielow on match day? It wasn't new/lapsed supporters...

I may be wrong, but I don't think the significant increase in season ticket sales is any indicator that we are actually going to have larger attendances in the coming season. People have just decided to pay up front, for the reasons above, meaning that ticket sales on an individual match basis will be significantly down.

Financially, unless we have a very good season and attract the floating fan, the club will surely be worse off due to the large uptake of early bird season ticket sales?? i.e. people that maybe attend 13/14 games per season (there are plenty of those), didn't bother buying season tickets previously, as there was no real saving. This time around it was worth buying a season ticket if you reckoned you'd be at more than 10 games. Doing the arithmetic, let's say 14 pay on the day matches at £20 = £280, against £199 for a season ticket.... that's the club £81 down per supporter of this type. 

I'd say the increase in season ticket sales is largely down to this group, those that know they are going to miss a few games, deciding it was worth buying this time around. 

There's going to be a financial gap.. surely?  How is that gap going to be filled? Concerned me as soon as I heard how cheap the season tickets were. It's all very positive sounding saying season ticket sales are up 40%, but it doesn't add up financially for me...

Look at the state of Colin Darroch trying to pour scorn on a positive. Did you buy a season ticket, Colin? We're getting to the middle of July now and drew 0-0 with Forfar on Saturday so if you did, it's maybe time to storm back to Cappielow demanding a refund, you insufferable f*ckwit.

I'd suspect that Crawford is looking at this as a loss-leader, and next season will keep renewal prices down in order to make buying a season ticket a habit for the majority of the support- in turn making it more convenient for the majority to attend Cappielow, keeping costs at the ticket office down, allowing the club to work with a guaranteed budget and gradually building the hardcore support.

Of course that doesn't suit Colin Darroch's attention seeking agenda against the club though, does it? Plenty on here have spoken of their desire to speculate to accumulate- that's exactly what the club are doing, as well as increasing the playing budget at the same time, and replacing a manager with a year left on his contract who most wanted shot of, even after what will probably be a loss making financial year up to 31st May 2018.

It's very easy to say , "Ah yes, but look at the deficit, it's increasing every year". The old way didn't work though, and it's Crawford's club now. He's looking for ways to improve things instead of sitting on his hands. Nobody with any sort of business nous would just take over a company and allow it to continue making losses without trying something.

It could end up like Stephen Thompson taking over from Eddie at Dundee United, but at the very least I'm pleased to see the effort he's putting in to make positive changes.

Some of our support though, most notably Colin Darroch, would love nothing more than to see him fail in order to say he told us so.

There's absolutely nothing in my reply that I'd change since July. In fact, even after the positive vibes of the summer have cooled or evaporated due to a number of different circumstances, the club's season ticket policy was, imho entirely justified, a clear loss leader and seen as a long term strategy. To smirk, lord it up over those who bought into it and say "I told you so" only goes to prove every single one of us that has labelled you as a complete bellend absolutely correct in that assessment.

As with every season, there are ups and downs along the way. Losing McKinnon was extremely sore, and Saturday was appalling. The vast majority of us are gutted about that result. Except of course you and that fanny from Linwood, both of whom so dearly want to see Morton fail, because it gives you something to justify your meaningless existence for a day or two.

Never change, Colin. It's little wonder your own weans absolutely despise you.

Let's not kid ourselves on here. The ONLY reason Crawford Rae reduced the season tickets so drastically wasn't down to some clever plan to get more supporters long term but because, after the horrendous end to the two previous seasons, very few people were going to bother buying one at all.

These are facts.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Let's not kid ourselves on here. The ONLY reason Crawford Rae reduced the season tickets so drastically wasn't down to some clever plan to get more supporters long term but because, after the horrendous end to the two previous seasons, very few people were going to bother buying one at all.

These are facts.

These aren't facts though. These are merely you (groomer's) opinion.

And if after finishing the last two seasons so horrendously, they're doing something to re-engage or provide an incentive for the support to buying season tickets then good on them- it's a bit reactive, but a form of marketing the club has been woefully inept at in previous years. 

It takes a special sort to be so satisfied with a 1-5 home drubbing to Ayr United, but I suppose it's little surprise who the two enjoying their fleeting moments of joy are.

These aren't facts though. These are merely you (groomer's) opinion.

And if after finishing the last two seasons so horrendously, they're doing something to re-engage or provide an incentive for the support to buying season tickets then good on them- it's a bit reactive, but a form of marketing the club has been woefully inept at in previous years. 

It takes a special sort to be so satisfied with a 1-5 home drubbing to Ayr United, but I suppose it's little surprise who the two enjoying their fleeting moments of joy are.

What makes you think I'm happy about a home defeat to Ayr? 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

What makes you think I'm happy about a home defeat to Ayr? 

Nearly six years worth of your posts on here. Anything that pisses off the masses gives you a brief moment of joy before you realise it's time to go back to wiping your groomer's sh*tey arse again.

Nearly six years worth of your posts on here. Anything that pisses off the masses gives you a brief moment of joy before you realise it's time to go back to wiping your groomer's sh*tey arse again.

Aye, he's delighted with this. No doubt about it.

You're a very angry man Russell.  :o

It's funny to think that a shitey arsed old man can extract so many tears from you, on a very regular basis.  :lol:

You're a very angry man Russell. :o

It's funny to think that a s***ey arsed old man can extract so many tears from you, on a very regular basis. :lol:

Russell's actually one of the most mellow guys I know. Just saying.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived