Fao Students - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fao Students

Cowshed Chris

I've completed 3 years of study in my degree and intend going back to uni to complete my honours degree next week. However, I have just received a letter explaining that as I am due to graduate this year, I am suddenly liable for graduate endowment and I have to pay £2092 on 1 April 2007.

Here was me thinking that in Scotland all student tuition fees were paid?!?!?!?!

TRUST THE DUFF

I've completed 3 years of study in my degree and intend going back to uni to complete my honours degree next week. However, I have just received a letter explaining that as I am due to graduate this year, I am suddenly liable for graduate endowment and I have to pay £2092 on 1 April 2007.

Here was me thinking that in Scotland all student tuition fees were paid?!?!?!?!

Nope, I expected the same letter from the minute I started uni - can't believe anyone honestly believed that uni would be free!

You don't have to pay it until after you graduate, and can take out a student loan to cover it - which you don't have to pay back until you make over £15k a year.

Nope, I expected the same letter from the minute I started uni - can't believe anyone honestly believed that uni would be free!

You don't have to pay it until after you graduate, and can take out a student loan to cover it - which you don't have to pay back until you make over £15k a year.

The money isn't really the problem, as Puggsy says, it's more to do with being hit with a pretty substantial bill that was wholly unexpected.

TRUST THE DUFF

The money isn't really the problem, as Puggsy says, it's more to do with being hit with a pretty substantial bill that was wholly unexpected.

You should have known though mate, it's something which was in the literature when you applied for your course!

Why am I being billed for this now?

Because you have completed your pass degree - you now have your final year, but you could graduate just now if you wanted to.

If you read the form mate you'll see that it says if ou intend to continue with your stuies you won't have to pay it untl 2008.

Yes, this is a graduate endowment or whatever it is called.

When you hear the Lib Dems saying that they have abolished tuition fees, they are taking the pish. they have just made them a flat 2grand and made them payable upon gradutation.

Chris, if you are going back for honours then you will not have to deal with this until after next year.

I will have to pay it now :-(

My year was the first year we had to pay it (although I was exempt) and I have to admit it is disapointing. From what I understand it is for the poorest of the poor students for them to be giving support to attend Uni, but how ironic is that when you need to pay £2k yourself after the course.

My friend (who did have to pay) called SAAS to query it, and was told that there shouldn't really be a problems since he had received a bursary therefore £2k shouldn't be a problem!

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

My friend (who did have to pay) called SAAS to query it, and was told that there shouldn't really be a problems since he had received a bursary therefore £2k shouldn't be a problem!

So SAAS expect you to take their £2000 bursary and not spend a penny of it on transport and course material (no-one would dare spend this money on drink and items for themselves :P ) and then hand it back over once the year is over.

Bit bizarre if you ask me but doesn't surprise me one bit.

Hardly anyone at uni that I talked to knew about it. We were all pretty shocked when we heard about it.

It just goes to show that going to uni doesn't make you smart, while being able to read a simple letter/form does, something none of us managed to do :lol:

EOho8Pw.png

Archived