Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away

BishopBrennan

The team which finished the game might have won if that had been the starting 11. If McKinnon does that in the Scottish Cup too he should be shown the door. Although I expected a few changes, I was in the pub in the ground when I saw the line up on Twitter and felt quite pissed off at having made the journey at all.

Robert Thomson ought to have been hooked at half time.

The booing of Forbes seemed light hearted (especially when you consider the abuse given out to Barr and Russell) and there was a quite lot of applause for him too.

Russell looked offside at the second goal - anyone get a better view of it?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observations from Tonight's game We should have had taken our chances in the 2nd half after a awful 1st half to many changes to the starting 11 but it ain't the end of the World We move on & Robert Thompson is still a F#cking awful Footballer!! & Bobby Barr is a C#nt..

Amazing some people still can't comprehend McKinnon doing what he did. Stop overanalysing it. It's a pointless competition with minimal financial reward so was treated with the contempt it deserved.

I can entirely comprehend his logic, I just think his logic is ridiculous and downright unprofessional.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The team which finished the game might have won if that had been the starting 11. If McKinnon does that in the Scottish Cup too he should be shown the door. Although I expected a few changes, I was in the pub in the ground when I saw the line up on Twitter and felt quite pissed off at having made the journey at all.

Robert Thomson ought to have been hooked at half time.

The booing of Forbes seemed light hearted (especially when you consider the abuse given out to Barr and Russell) and there was a quite lot of applause for him too.

Russell looked offside at the second goal - anyone get a better view of it?

Was sitting in line - looked off.

Not as ridiculous for the offside given at a throw in when the ball was passed backwards right enough.

This years league cup was always going to be to early for ray and the club starting pretty much from scratch the fans accepted that to an extent. Ray will have been given targets by the club for the next 12 to 18 months and im sure this tinpot cup was not even given a thought.

Finish at least 4th and make a better fist of the playoffs than duffy did.

Give it your all in the scottish cup see where it ends up.

Have a settled squad ready to hit the ground running when the league cup starts next year and progress beyond the group stages as a minimum.

Amazing some people still can't comprehend McKinnon doing what he did. Stop overanalysing it. It's a pointless competition with minimal financial reward so was treated with the contempt it deserved.

Don't think the fans that that wasted their time or money would agree with that.

This years league cup was always going to be to early for ray and the club starting pretty much from scratch the fans accepted that to an extent. Ray will have been given targets by the club for the next 12 to 18 months and im sure this tinpot cup was not even given a thought.

The line up at Alloa would have beaten Dumbarton without breaking sweat. The League Cup sticks in the throat but I can just about overlook that one. No excuses for last night though.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

After Queen of the South in relation to blowing a 2-0 lead and Alloa in relation to a drop of intensity in the second half, McKinnon has pointed to the team still needing to gel in his post match interview. With the number of new signings we have, he's argued, it's inevitable that the players are still getting accustomed to playing with each other and some mistakes will happen until they do, particularly defensively.

That's not an unreasonable argument, but he's removed his right to make it again with that starting eleven last night. If Kerr Waddell still needs to develop an understanding with Kilday and Buchanan, he should have played alongside one of them last night. Instead McKinnon chose not to give them the chance to gel. If that lack of understanding contributes to a Ross County goal next Saturday then he can't reasonably argue they just need familiarity to cut it out when he's denying them the opportunity to get that familiarity.

If he wants to see how Kyle Thomson will cope in the first team he could put him in beside at least one if not both of Tidser and McAlister to see how he develops an understanding with them. Instead he threw him in with Ruairidh Langan and Scott fucking Tiffoney, giving us a midfield devoid of experience which amounted to throwing both Thomson and Langan under the bus with no one to help them through the game. If Thomson has to come in due to injury at some point and he has no understanding with the players around him having never played with them, McKinnon can't argue that was unavoidable having refused to take the opportunity last night.

You don't test young players by throwing them all into a team at once and seeing if they sink or swim. You introduce them alongside first team regulars and see how they fit in around them. It was a pointless exercise which tells us nothing about our fringe players we didn't already know and from a youth development perspective will only harm the confidence of youngsters who got ragdolled.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

After Queen of the South in relation to blowing a 2-0 lead and Alloa in relation to a drop of intensity in the second half, McKinnon has pointed to the team still needing to gel in his post match interview. With the number of new signings we have, he's argued, it's inevitable that the players are still getting accustomed to playing with each other and some mistakes will happen until they do, particularly defensively.

That's not an unreasonable argument, but he's removed his right to make it again with that starting eleven last night. If Kerr Waddell still needs to develop an understanding with Kilday and Buchanan, he should have played alongside one of them last night. Instead McKinnon chose not to give them the chance to gel. If that lack of understanding contributes to a Ross County goal next Saturday then he can't reasonably argue they just need familiarity to cut it out when he's denying them the opportunity to get that familiarity.

If he wants to see how Kyle Thomson will cope in the first team he could put him in beside at least one if not both of Tidser and McAlister to see how he develops an understanding with them. Instead he threw him in with Ruairidh Langan and Scott ****ing Tiffoney, giving us a midfield devoid of experience which amounted to throwing both Thomson and Langan under the bus with no one to help them through the game. If Thomson has to come in due to injury at some point and he has no understanding with the players around him having never played with them, McKinnon can't argue that was unavoidable having refused to take the opportunity last night.

You don't test young players by throwing them all into a team at once and seeing if they sink or swim. You introduce them alongside first team regulars and see how they fit in around them. It was a pointless exercise which tells us nothing about our fringe players we didn't already know and from a youth development perspective will only harm the confidence of youngsters who got ragdolled.

Spot on!

Both full backs were developing nicely in my opinion, but last nights mauling will have set them back no end. Crazy crazy decision which has nothing to do with whether is a diddy cup or not.

Imagine supporting Morton and thinly ANY competition is below you. Embarrassing delusion.

The same fannies that hate this would be the first cunts booked on the ferry for a piss-up if we drew Sligo Rovers

Imagine supporting Morton and thinly ANY competition is below you. Embarrassing delusion.

The same **** that hate this would be the first **** booked on the ferry for a piss-up if we drew Sligo Rovers

You seem to care more about a trip to Ireland than actually winning the Cup so that defeats your argument.

Also if there was a pre season friendly in Ireland fans who don't care about the irn bru Cup would go to that as well for a jolly, doesn't mean they'd care about winning it.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I wonder if the Kilmarnock under 21 fans are raging on their messageboard.

Kilmarnock under 21s don't have any fans and their first team weren't actually involved in the competition. Apart than those two basic logical fallacies it was a fairly solid 0/10 post. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Ray will have been given targets by the club for the next 12 to 18 months and im sure this tinpot cup was not even given a thought.

This is absolutely true in terms of a football club's planning but is not how a football season works in practice.

For proof of this you need look no further than the two clubs last night and their respective 'tinpot cup' efforts last season. Duffy couldn't be bothered with it and so slithered out of the competition at the first hurdle. Combined with failures in other competitions, this put all of the fanbase's scrutiny onto his bewildering team selections and limited ability to change a game during the league campaign. If the Challenge Cup is a distraction then he could certainly have done with it come November or the spring to shore up his position at the club. Given that the decision to remove Duffy surprised many and was a marginal call by the board, I have little doubt that if he had reached the final of the Challenge Cup (or made a decent fist of the League Cup) then he'd still be in the Morton dugout today. 

In contrast, Dumbarton's league campaign ended in failure with them being relegated to the seaside leagues after a creditable spell in the second tier. Aitken is not still in that job today because of his league performances, nor for a style of play that enraged their fans last season for being overwhelmingly negative. What has kept him in his job is the fact that their campaign was lifted by a run to the Challenge Cup final, including the dispatch of a Welsh pub team away from home that kept the fans reasonably content with their lot. 

Any competition has meaning and a manager who chooses to write off the chance of exploits in even a minor cup competition is leaving a hostage to fortune. And given that we're nowhere near the finished article yet and could well be sitting on just 10-12 points from the first quarter as a result of that, I'd suggest that McKinnon could do with the fans having a 'distraction' from league duties for the time being. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The line up at Alloa would have beaten Dumbarton without breaking sweat. The League Cup sticks in the throat but I can just about overlook that one. No excuses for last night though.

This is pretty much how I see it. I wasn't that bothered about the League Cup at the time, but I've shifted my stance on that a bit after last night as "experimenting" and an effective forfeit are two different things...all of a sudden, the League Cup looks more like the latter than it did. If one trophy is gone before the league starts, deciding you can't be arsed with another one soon after really ain't on.

If he wants to see how Kyle Thomson will cope in the first team he could put him in beside at least one if not both of Tidser and McAlister to see how he develops an understanding with them. Instead he threw him in with Ruairidh Langan and Scott ****ing Tiffoney, giving us a midfield devoid of experience which amounted to throwing both Thomson and Langan under the bus with no one to help them through the game. If Thomson has to come in due to injury at some point and he has no understanding with the players around him having never played with them, McKinnon can't argue that was unavoidable having refused to take the opportunity last night.

Great post! The only thing I'd add is that if we had won last night then that was five unbeaten with 4 wins, which is a good head of steam to build up going into a short break which should allow you to get your full squad fit and ready for the first really big test. It's a bit troubling if picking and choosing your games is acceptable, it's not really a good look at all. We should be looking to win every game now and getting that mentality into the players, not just shrugging your shoulders and going "ach, don't fancy this one".

It's still way too early to be jumping to any conclusions about anything, but nonetheless there's potentially big concerns arising from how this has been handled. If we don't make the play-offs and don't get anywhere in the Scottish Cup, it'll look like a pretty dreadful season all round; of course, if we do make the play-offs and reach even the play-offs then this will mostly be forgotten about, but that's a risk you're taking when you write off two tournaments by mid-August.

AWMSC

Archived