Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away

BishopBrennan

What's all this about revenue? There's much more to be made from a high league placing than the pittance we'd get from winning the diddiest of diddy cups. If you want a trip to some Welsh s***ehole book Megabus, buy a gallon of Eldorado and fill your boots.

...or we could be a competent football club who attempt to field competitive sides in more than one tournament. Absolutely nobody is saying that they would rather win this tournament rather than doing well in the league. Expecting us to compete well in the league and supplementing that with a decent run in a winable tournament isn't exactly a big ask, is it? 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...or we could be a competent football club who attempt to field competitive sides in more than one tournament. Absolutely nobody is saying that they would rather win this tournament rather than doing well in the league. Expecting us to compete well in the league and supplementing that with a decent run in a winable tournament isn't exactly a big ask, is it?

With our size of squad and current injuries, yes. The Scottish cup should always be prioritised, to a lesser extent the league cup. Play a messageboard select tonight. You and Cornbeef are up front.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

This. 

Moan about other folk wanting to see us fail at all costs > is happy to see us pumped out a cup at the first chance... christ. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Given it's only a tenner in tonight, the revenue will be just the right side of feck-all.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Given it's only a tenner in tonight, the revenue will be just the right side of feck-all.

We already get tonight's revenue regardless of the team we put out or desire to win the competition. Nobody is talking about that.

Additional revenue in future rounds on the other hand...

With our size of squad and current injuries, yes. The Scottish cup should always be prioritised, to a lesser extent the league cup. Play a messageboard select tonight. You and Cornbeef are up front.

We have a free week on Saturday, so if anything playing guys who need match sharpness like Oliver is more beneficial to our league campaign than putting out the young boys. As I've suggested above I'd like us to field a strong enough side to win while resting the likes of Millar. If we had progressed in the League Cup then I would have a slightly more favourable view of your point, but we don't. Now that we used this season's League Cup as an experimental platform then we have no excuses for not fielding decent sides in this tournament. 

We have a free week on Saturday, so if anything playing guys who need match sharpness like Oliver is more beneficial to our league campaign than putting out the young boys. As I've suggested above I'd like us to field a strong enough side to win while resting the likes of Millar. If we had progressed in the League Cup then I would have a slightly more favourable view of your point, but we don't. Now that we used this season's League Cup as an experimental platform then we have no excuses for not fielding decent sides in this tournament. 

Agreed. I had no issue with using the League Cup games as friendlies (everybody does it to some extent, but in the circumstances we didn't have much of a choice), but now that that's done we should definitely be looking at this as a good chance of finally reaching a final and winning our first Cup in nearly a century.

Exactly what's likely to be achieved by going out at the first round is a bit beyond me, it's hardly as if we've also got the Champions League and internationals to worry about. There's absolutely no reason why a team can't be competing in a couple of cups and aiming for the play-offs at the same time.

AWMSC

With our size of squad and current injuries, yes. 

Really? Plenty of teams have managed it in the past. It's not as if we have loads of injuries at the moment, and we have a free weekend, so what's the big worry?

I'd argue that this game can be used to help gain some momentum going into the Ross County game a week on Saturday, especially with no other games before then.

I'd say not making a fist of this and being pumped out to diddies like Dumbarton is more embarrassing that going on to make a credible effort at it 

Morton should be looking to beat any opponent in this competition. Bottom line.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It’s a complete mess of a tournament, and better off out of it.

Get rid of the u21s and cross border sides and replace them with highland and lowland league sides.

Or if there must be a cross border thing to it; then put the winners into two extra rounds as a 4 team tournament against winners of the EFL cup and NI and Welsh league cup - semi final and final, or group of 4 at a nominated (rotated annually) host over 3 games. No idea how you would fit that in with the playoffs mind you.

Get rid of the u21s and cross border sides and replace them with highland and lowland league sides.

Or if there must be a cross border thing to it; then put the winners into two extra rounds as a 4 team tournament against winners of the EFL cup and NI and Welsh league cup - semi final and final, or group of 4 at a nominated (rotated annually) host over 3 games. No idea how you would fit that in with the playoffs mind you.

Getting rid of the U21s would mean Cockwomble having to give up on his dream of the bigot brothers’ colt teams getting into League 2 of the SPFL. More chance of the foreign teams getting binned first.

They really are a shambolic organisation. His previous SPL mob had the Setanta disaster and now the SPFL’s overseas media partners have been ditched for defaulting on payments.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Firmly in the “we should be trying to win this” camp. We’re one of the strongest teams in the competition, and it offers us the chance to actually see Morton compete for silverware and potentially play somewhere new. Nobody is denying the current format of the competition is a joke, but it shouldn’t alter our ambitions - should be aiming to get as far in this competition as possible, every year.

I think the foreign teams give a novelty factor to the tournament that helps with the appeal of the tournament. Fans want a weekend away on the piss following their team and this is a decent way to offer that opportunity. Replacing the 12 Colt teams with the top six from both the HL and LL would have the makings of an excellent tournament full of #scenes.

Archived