Drums At Football Games - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Drums At Football Games

K K Kelbie

Too far.  The bugle was a significant feature of our 60s support, and it did get the crowd going.

I'll reserve judgement on the drum until after I've experienced it personally but on the basis of games against Livi I just find it irritating.  It's the monotonous thud thud thud that jars.  Maybe if we had Ray Cooper, or even Charlie Watts.  We don't want Cappielow turning into an orange walk tribute act.

That's literally a million miles from the reality of it and pretty demeaning to the group trying to get it off the ground. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s understandable that folk found it annoying when we were getting horsed by a seaside outfit.

If on the other hand we somehow find ourselves flying high at the top of the league table and crowds swell up to over 3000, I suspect we wouldn’t hear as many complaints

It’s understandable that folk found it annoying when we were getting horsed by a seaside outfit.

If on the other hand we somehow find ourselves flying high at the top of the league table and crowds swell up to over 3000, I suspect we wouldn’t hear as many complaints

Pretty much this. It worked well in Paisley because the fans really bought into what their team was trying to do and they backed them to the hilt. 

Nothing to say Morton can't recreate that. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

That's literally a million miles from the reality of it and pretty demeaning to the group trying to get it off the ground. 

No, you're right there and I'm not trying to be demeaning to anyone - it's not the principle that I object to, it's the idea that there is going to be a constant thump thump thump which is my experience of drums at games in the past.  I'm not actually suggesting any link with the Odious Order btw.  As I say, I'm prepared to see it in action at Cappielow on August 4th and see how it works.  The main thing needed to get a decent atmosphere is enough people there, and with the season ticket deal I think that could make a slight difference to the atmosphere.  I'm open minded on drums for now but I'll make sure I have a couple of paracetamol with me at games...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Didn’t make it along to Ayr on Saturday so will have a better idea after tonight’s game. I think if it’s this incessant banging the whole way through a match it doesn’t really have the desired effect does it?

Over the years when we’ve played teams with a drum it is a bit of a pain in the arse when it’s this constant drone.

Surely if it’s played when singing to “spur” the team on it will sound good though.

Guys old enough to be their fathers, telling the boys to keep the noise down...at a football match!!!

Hilarious!

Mon eh drums.

It's not about noise, if the young team want to make themselves heard then singing, clapping and banging the shite out of Somerset Park's crumbling ground will all do fine. It's about drums being shite. See also the vuvuzela from the worst ever World Cup finals and the English brass band, both of which are associated with and have brought about failure. 

Next. 

It's not about noise, if the young team want to make themselves heard then singing, clapping and banging the s***e out of Somerset Park's crumbling ground will all do fine. It's about drums being s***e. See also the vuvuzela from the worst ever World Cup finals and the English brass band, both of which are associated with and have brought about failure. 

Next. 

What about the rattle?

Then again, you'll probably just throw that out your pram too.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

What about the rattle?

Then again, you'll probably just throw that out your pram too.

And you'd be picking it up for me because you're completely owned. It'll make a nice break for you from mopping up the pish and skitters left by a scabby greyhound, or maybe that was just Urnie again after closing time. 

And you'd be picking it up for me because you're completely owned. It'll make a nice break for you from mopping up the pish and skitters left by a scabby greyhound, or maybe that was just Urnie again after closing time. 

Sorry, I don't take orders from wee bastrds.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Sorry, I don't take orders from wee bastrds.

You take orders from a Thunderbird swigging jakey and Merrydown Mhairi. The only people who don't boss you around anymore are Asda because you were too thick to stack shelves and got sacked. Even the scabby greyhound treats you as its bitch.

So you'll be taking your orders like a champ then until another member of The Clique takes over ownership. Get back in your box.

I absolutely hated the idea of a drum, mainly because it reminded me of tinpot clubs like Livingston. I'll admit it wasn't too bad last night, still wouldn't want to sit too close to it. Plus it was only used for

A drum can enhance the atmosphere if it's not bashed with no rhythm for 90 minutes. If it's used at the right moments then it could be a real asset.

I'd say a decent compromise would be to not do it for 90 minutes solid. Good luck to the guys though.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I absolutely hated the idea of a drum, mainly because it reminded me of tinpot clubs like Livingston. I'll admit it wasn't too bad last night, still wouldn't want to sit too close to it. Plus it was only used for

Same with me.

Seeing allot of people saying about a constant drum beat for 90 mins. Me being the person that plays the drum, I know it would be annoying and that is totally not the point of the drum. As people have said, the drum is only used when needed and that’s for a number of reasons. I would say that at both games the use of drum has been at the right times and has been effective. Glad to see more positive comments after Tuesdays game. Hopefully more people are now on board with the idea and will support it after the two following games

Seeing allot of people saying about a constant drum beat for 90 mins. Me being the person that plays the drum, I know it would be annoying and that is totally not the point of the drum. As people have said, the drum is only used when needed and that’s for a number of reasons. I would say that at both games the use of drum has been at the right times and has been effective. Glad to see more positive comments after Tuesdays game. Hopefully more people are now on board with the idea and will support it after the two following games

I'm unlikely to make more than a handful of games this season but that sounds fair enough to me and I hope it's a success.

EOho8Pw.png

A drum is never needed at the football.

Archived