Season Tickets - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Season Tickets

Season tickets give certainty to the club. The more season tickets potentially the bigger budget available to the manager. If we start the season well and more punters pay at the gate that is an added bonus.

Not related to Morton but the wee team up the road who play in Paisly has now sold over 4,000 season tickets and are targeting 5,000 before the season starts.[/quote

Even if they have, they’re still giving the OF 2 stands next season.

Not if they sell enough they're not

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A wee question for the panel to assist in financial modelling. We have sold around 400 more season tickets than last year. Given a number of those were pay at the gate regulars last season, to what extent will this affect the number of home pay at the gate customers for the coming season? Will they be an equivalent 400 less, 200 less or what? Will there be a “bring a friend” effect? Would some form of “bring a friend” discount or other reward scheme for ST holders work?

We obviously have our own views but I would be interested in what posters here think!

Nick

A wee question for the panel to assist in financial modelling. We have sold around 400 more season tickets than last year. Given a number of those were pay at the gate regulars last season, to what extent will this affect the number of home pay at the gate customers for the coming season? Will they be an equivalent 400 less, 200 less or what? Will there be a “bring a friend” effect? Would some form of “bring a friend” discount or other reward scheme for ST holders work?

We obviously have our own views but I would be interested in what posters here think!

Nick

Ringfencing the 400 folks cash can only be a good thing?

Would like to think if things are going well, those 400 folk might encourage their pals to come. Some sort of voucher would be a good idea IMO. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Only suggestions here,

What about a voucher in the programme which if , say five , were collected it would allow a discounted entry to a home cup game, in the event that there are no home cup draws then a discount on merchandise depending on how many vouchers collected.

E.G. 5 vouchers = 5 %

10 vouchers = 10%

15 vouchers = 15%

Obviously these figures may require to be tweaked a bit.

Also, maybe a 5-10% discount on merchandise for season ticket holders depending on the amount being spent, higher level for over £25 for example.

I'd say the biggest issue is how to retain the season ticket holders beyond this season. I'd suggest that rather than an early bird scheme next season, the club offer discounted renewals, or if they are intent on getting even more, a further discount on top of the normal early bird ones. No point in having the new season ticket holders for one season alone.

Our merchandising needs dragged into the 21st century, we showed you (quite a while ago)in this forum examples of other clubs who had many many club branded items for sale.

Even clubs much smaller than us have a wide variety of merchandise that puts ours to shame.

New styles of training gear are also badly needed.

Why is the sale of kits and merchandising not taken back in-house?

It could be sold from Cappielow all week and on matchdays with some stock going to Smith's as well.

Our merchandising needs dragged into the 21st century, we showed you (quite a while ago)in this forum examples of other clubs who had many many club branded items for sale.

Even clubs much smaller than us have a wide variety of merchandise that puts ours to shame.

New styles of training gear are also badly needed.

Why is the sale of kits and merchandising not taken back in-house?

It could be sold from Cappielow all week and on matchdays with some stock going to Smith's as well.

There's quite a lot of stuff in Smiths now and all at the front. I don't know what the relationship is with them but a prominent section of a shop in the town centre is a better option that Cappielow.

There's quite a lot of stuff in Smiths now and all at the front. I don't know what the relationship is with them but a prominent section of a shop in the town centre is a better option that Cappielow.

No it isn't. That requires people to go out of their way to go and look at it.

OK, I am an out of town fan but I haven't set foot near the shops in Greenock town centre in years. I have a season ticket and attend Cappielow for every home game.

One of the first rules of business is to sell to people when you have their attention. Not actively marketing every opportunity when almost your entire customer base descends upon your premises is madness.

No it isn't. That requires people to go out of their way to go and look at it.

OK, I am an out of town fan but I haven't set foot near the shops in Greenock town centre in years. I have a season ticket and attend Cappielow for every home game.

One of the first rules of business is to sell to people when you have their attention. Not actively marketing every opportunity when almost your entire customer base descends upon your premises is madness.

Cappielow is out the way during the week and there is a van outside with stuff on match days. There's not really any reason for fans to go to Cappielow during the week so the local town centre, as bad as it is, would be the preferred option.

Ideally there would be something at Cappielow too for the odd visit but there isn't really the room.

Cappielow is out the way during the week and there is a van outside with stuff on match days. There's not really any reason for fans to go to Cappielow during the week so the local town centre, as bad as it is, would be the preferred option.

Ideally there would be something at Cappielow too for the odd visit but there isn't really the room.

Yeah my point isn't really about during the week. I don't really care about during the week. My point is about exploiting the main commercial time the club has, which is when their entire customer base is there and in 'Morton mode'.

Morton are notoriously bad at that. Like when they have tickets to sell for a cup game or whatever.

Sell when people are present.

On the van, is it still there? Every match? What times? Are these details marketed or even mentioned on the website? Is it actually Smiths/the club running it or someone trying to make a quick buck selling merch on the street like you see at bigger clubs/games? (I know the answer to that, but does everybody?)

It's all well and good saying it is there if not everyone knows about it.

No room/space - I get it. We heard there was no Manager's office due to space. The van could be enough if marketed properly, was always there, people knew what was available and when it was there (and that should be before AND after the game).

Here's one. At the Rotherham preseason game a few years ago, group of Rotherham fans asking stewards and any staff they could find after the game where they could buy scarves. They wanted souvenirs from their trip. After a lot of head scratching they were told they can't. Nothing to buy here, go into town if you want anything. They didn't and headed on their way.

How many Cardiff fans might come up and want a souvenir (scarf, pennant, keyring, pinbadge, whatever) from their trip? Maybe not a lot, but even a few wanting to give us some money but can't is crazy.

Yeah my point isn't really about during the week. I don't really care about during the week. My point is about exploiting the main commercial time the club has, which is when their entire customer base is there and in 'Morton mode'.

Morton are notoriously bad at that. Like when they have tickets to sell for a cup game or whatever.

Sell when people are present.

On the van, is it still there? Every match? What times? Are these details marketed or even mentioned on the website? Is it actually Smiths/the club running it or someone trying to make a quick buck selling merch on the street like you see at bigger clubs/games? (I know the answer to that, but does everybody?)

It's all well and good saying it is there if not everyone knows about it.

No room/space - I get it. We heard there was no Manager's office due to space. The van could be enough if marketed properly, was always there, people knew what was available and when it was there (and that should be before AND after the game).

Anyone who goes to a game at Cappielow really shouldn't miss the van, it's parked in Sinclair Street, opposite the shed turnstile right up to kick off.

The van is operated by Smiths.

I'm not against town centre stuff at all but it needs to be well-targeted. Otherwise it is far better, as Jamie M says, to go after people who have already displayed an interest. The website should be absolutely plastered in offers. I know they're a much bigger club than us but check out the landing page and then the news page for Toulouse:

People, if they are on this site, are by definition interested in the club, so why not try to make something of their interest? It's better than just putting stuff in Smith's and hoping for the best. (Smith's should be in addition to any other strategy, not instead of it.)

By extension the ground on matchdays should be one unseemly festival of 'shut up and take my money'.

EOho8Pw.png

Thanks for the input guys. My question was not about replica kit etc., but really about the impact of increased ST sales on overall attendances. We model the finances of the club each year based on stuff like the average number of points required for a certain position in the league which then drives win bonuses, prize money, etc. To some degree, we can see historically the impact of challenging for the league versus mid table versus trying to avoid relegation on attendances. What is difficult to get my head around is what impact will increased ST sales have on home attendances..

With regard to the Aberdeen fan incentive model, we are looking at it but if there are other bright ideas, news the time.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!

NICK

Archived