Development Squad Thread - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Development Squad Thread

TRVMP

Barr has only been in charge since July, so it is in fact two defeats in eight, in a league packed with the bottom-feeders of the game. Can't say I'll be taking too much advice on 'frothing at the mouth', from the chump who has been falsely peddling a Troon Juniors goalkeeper as the next Donnarumma for us. 

Gutted for you. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to look back and see where I ever compared him like that pal. I'm so glad I don't live in your everything is shite world.

And I'm not talking about Darren Barr I was talking about our development squad players.

And for someone who thinks development football is shite. You spend a lot of time on this page.

I reckon if VT wasn't writing in his own unmistakable style people would be agreeing with him more than they are. We're operating in an extremely speculative arena. There isn't a single professional youth system in Europe that can provide all, or even most, of the first team players to its squad year on year and remain competitive. There are some in Eastern Europe (most notably in the Balkans) that come close to doing so, but the further up the leagues you go the harder it gets.

By way of example, Chelsea have one of the biggest and most expensive youth farms in the world and they have yet to bring through a SINGLE first team regular. (There is still a chance for guys like Tomori and Abraham but it's far from a foregone conclusion.) You might say they're an extreme example as they can buy anyone they want, and in any case they can make a profit off a lot of these guys as mid-table clubs will pay good money for them, but the rule of thumb is that you're going to, as a normal, professional club, mostly bring through players who can't make it at your own club. This isn't a criticism but a simple fact of life - if it wasn't, there wouldn't be much of a transfer market.

Meanwhile at our level, unlike Chelsea we can't sell our youth products to teams lower down the totem pole, for the simple reason that no team smaller than us can really pay transfer fees, at least not fees that matter. We can only really sell upwards to recoup investment - as Hamilton and Falkirk have done. That, apparently, is the model we're trying to emulate, so that we can be sustainable (read: so that the Raes can get "their" two mil back.) But here's my question, and it's not rhetorical (I'm too lazy to check it) - the guys who were sold for the big bucks and with the sell-on fees from these clubs, how much reserve/development (delete as applicable, since development is only four seasons old as of this season) football did these guys actually play? I know McCarthy at Hamilton was in the first team when he was still doing his Standard Grades. What about the others from that club, what about the Falkirk ones? I'm completely unconvinced that any player who will command a massive fee in the future is going to play more than one, two at the absolute most, seasons of development league football in Scotland, since below the Premiership there are tons of young players in and around first teams. I'm not saying that playing against East Kilbride Development is the same as playing against Motherwell Development, but I'm saying that if you're an absolute stand-out and clearly too good against one of them, you're going to get your first team chance sooner rather than later. As it stands the clubs that would benefit the most from our playing at a higher level in the development league are the ones one or two levels below us, who will benefit from our many, many cast-offs.

I'm deliberately excluding the odd last-minute-sub or end-of-season appearance here and instead going off the season where they became regulars in the first team squad. Here are the ages our "own" (I know O'Ware in particular wasn't a Morton youth product) players were when they started playing in earnest for Morton:

Tam O'Ware: First team squad member as of November 2011 at the age of 18
Mark Russell: Started properly getting games in March 2014 as he was just turning 18

And those we harvested from other clubs who are still 23 or under (I figure this is a good cut-off point since it dovetails with the new youth setup):

Andy Murdoch: Started properly getting games for Rangers in February 2014, having just turned 19 (went on loan to Cowden after, rather than dropping back to youth football)
Connor McManus: Started getting games for Alloa at the start of the 2015-16 season at the age of 19

See the pattern? If they're good enough, they're old enough. They're getting into the senior teams as teenagers. And in the case of McManus, who captained Celtic youth and played in Europe for the Celtic development team, the benefit Celtic got from this high-level youth exposure was... virtually nothing, because he left for Morton on a free transfer. The benefit is all ours.

It really looks like edge-case players like Tiffoney, who have stop-start appearances before dropping back down, would be the ones to most benefit... and frankly I don't think it would make a mammoth amount of difference in their cases. If Tiffoney was going to break through like Quitongo it probably would have happened by now. There is still every chance he will go on and have a good career, but I don't think he'd be the next Jai if only he was lining up against St. Mirren Development of a Tuesday.

I'm about to go and eat my dinner so I realize I'm ending the post on a negative note but none of this is me saying "let's immediately bin every youth player" but rather it's to say that we should probably stop complaining about having to play in a development league that we don't exactly stroll through (one title in three attempts - and yes, I'm aware we're playing 15 year olds in defense, but the point still remains) when the benefits of moving up a tier are hardly so cast-iron that we're immediately going to have a job lot of Pavones to line up with the squad's seasoned pros.

EOho8Pw.png

Would agree with the above.

I am not knocking the boys we have but the standard of our Development league is very poor and my gripe is about not being allowed the opportunity to be promoted, have out squad play the teams in the top division, let them grow and develop more and maybe see us attract better quality development players who can make the step up.

We have not really seen anyone come through the development set up bar Mark Russell? Quitongo spent a season but he had already been at Aberdeen and Hamilton, who compete I nthe other league, and thus had a better development than most our lads.

Lewis Strapp looks a player as does McGowan but like I have said, hard to judge in the development league due to the poor quality as, Jon Scullion and Orr looked like Cole and Yorke in that league.

I'll have to look back and see where I ever compared him like that pal. I'm so glad I don't live in your everything is s***e world.

^^^ verge of tears

Everything isn't s***e: a development squad that currently isn't even in the top 20 of its kind in Scotland is categorically s***e though. Unlike yourself, I don't need to delude myself into thinking otherwise in order to justify a sad devotion to a pointless waste of time.

Sad!

And I'm not talking about Darren Barr I was talking about our development squad players.

Barr (and presumably other senior players) were supposed to be playing for the development squad to lend their experience. That was the plan as outlined by Morton's chief executive when hiring Barr for that squad just four months ago. So your 'but... but... other teams are playing overage players while we had a 15 year old chimney sweep at centre back!' is not a valid excuse on two separate grounds. That is how the league is designed to operate and GMFC themselves wanted to make use of that practice. 

And for someone who thinks development football is s***e. You spend a lot of time on this page.

No, spending a lot of time would involve traipsing around to watch an utterly shan level of the game, in the hope that you'll become a voice of authority on here by touting hotshots who end up inevitably washing up in the Junior ranks instead.

You're just another Salty: just let that sink in.  

And Duffy has lost 3 in 9. You wanting him pumped as well?

Absolutely, with undefeated league champion Brian Wake ending that reign of mediocrity. Glad that we finally established some standards for performance at this once-proud football club.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

:lol: :D :lol:

I see cornbeef and Eric have been frantically dishing out the red dots. Only to have them nullified by the clique. Pleasing.

Frantically  :lol: , hardly. You and your wee group and the puppet accounts issuing them in their THOUSANDS... now that's frantic. There must be more to your life LT

As they say - sad !
r

Show Racism the Red Card

Frantically  :lol: , hardly. You and your wee group and the puppet accounts issuing them in their THOUSANDS... now that's frantic. There must be more to your life LT

As they say - sad !

r

Not frantic you say, and yet you clearly banged your face against the keyboard there.

Sad! 

Frantically :lol: , hardly. You and your wee group and the puppet accounts issuing them in their THOUSANDS... now that's frantic. There must be more to your life LT

As they say - sad !

r

Fuck up, grass.

EOho8Pw.png

Laptop issue resulting in an overload of smileys - does look a bit frantic I have to admit

Short odds on the laptop issue being confirmed as 'the dribbling idiot trying to use it'. 

Frantically :lol: , hardly. You and your wee group and the puppet accounts issuing them in their THOUSANDS... now that's frantic. There must be more to your life LT

As they say - sad !

r

All the smileys in the world can't disguise how rattled you are. Pleasing.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

And there goes the Development Squad Thread FFS.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Your worn-out Report button on any post that gives you the vapors.

More of the Trump  'fake news'  I think it shows who's rattled when you basically have to stoop to lying to try and score points.

As to the post in question - you yourself remarked that it was a 'bit much'  and said if I felt strongly enough about it I should have the courage to report it. A bit of a turnaround now coming up with an abusive 'grass'  post. ( There's no courage (or baws)  required btw - so no need to be a drama queen)

That's the end of my dialogue on this with you and your dysfunctional mates/puppets.

... and to Largston - it'll take a helluva lot more than the 'clique' to get me rattled. Sorry to disappoint

Show Racism the Red Card

Archived