Development Squad Thread - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Development Squad Thread

TRVMP

McFadden scored 4 and ran amok 2nd half. Whole game turned on their penalty. It was a blatant foul on Darren Barr by McFadden. The ref gives a penalty and sends off Mitchell Duffy who was 5 yards away from anyone. After that we lost our heads and the experience players they had finished strong.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine cotter watches more youth football than most of the posters on here - do you reckon the young players learn from coming up against guys like McFadden (or, to be fair, Barr), or is it just men against boys?

EOho8Pw.png

Young Nathan Durham handled him fairly well in 1st half but McFadden stepped up a gear in 2nd.

It was a lesson as him and Andy Stirling ran the show late on. But the penalty turned the game. I'm a pretty honest but it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Queens front 3 were McFadden,Stirling and Rooney. All guys with good experience and that was the difference.

They took their chances and we missed a few.

A tough one for us but kids will learn and kick on next game.

• 2 weeks later...

Was one of those games last night. We had so much of the ball but couldn't score. I was impressed with 15 year old Ben Docherty at centre back. Despite giving away the penalty he had a good game and defended well.

McGowan had a couple of good saves and commanded well. Ben Armour was always busy and set up a few chances but we were lacking a bit up front.

Was good to see Lewis Strapp get a run out as well.

Has Barron been out of the game for a few years? I remember he was at Stranraer but he played at the Junior for a while also. Was a good player when he was with St Mirren. Unfortunate with the injuries.

Looks like claims that the corrupt!1!1! Scottish football setup is stopping our brave boys from playing at their rightful level are somewhat off the mark in this abject campaign. 

I wonder how Barr's performance will  actually be measured at the club, as opposed to the word of mouth bullshit that once gave us 'Jim McInally - promising football coach'. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The level our boys play at is of a poor standard and it is unfortunate that having finished at the top end of the table for two or three years, under Hopkin and Millen, there has been no progression allowed for the boys where they could play against more challenging opposition.

Players like Jon Scullion were scoring for fun but found themselves at Beith and Thomas Orr regularly scored and he is at Queen's park.

The set up the SFA have introduced is awful and going to get worse with this Project Brave garbage.

Why can't be have a reserve league and under 18's, 16's, 14's etc

Surely Barr's performance will be measured in the development or otherwise of the members of the squad? While I like to hear if our 'boys' squad are winning, I am more interested to see if any graduate into the first team.

You say that as if winning games of football and development are mutually exclusive things. Ross County, Motherwell etc. are currently integrating youth players into their teams with a degree of success: a decision that could be justified by the fact that they already had both experience of playing and winning at a high level of the youth ranks. Competition is how you determine the quality of players at your disposal. 

You have also forgotten that the main justification for a youth setup was not 'players graduating into the first team squad' - after all, Morton have a pick of dozens of those weeded out from much better youth setups with which to fill their first team squad on an annual basis. The main justification for youth development was 'Morton will magically unearth a James Macarthy type and sell him on for millions'. Call me sceptical, but while the current crop are losing against part-time jobbers or making a washed up James McFadden look like Pele for the only time in his failed cameo this season, I suspect that the transfer offers will be exclusively of the 'Troon Juniors' type, rather than English Premiership sides. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The level our boys play at is of a poor standard and it is unfortunate that having finished at the top end of the table for two or three years, under Hopkin and Millen, there has been no progression allowed for the boys where they could play against more challenging opposition.

Players like Jon Scullion were scoring for fun but found themselves at Beith and Thomas Orr regularly scored and he is at Queen's park.

The set up the SFA have introduced is awful and going to get worse with this Project Brave garbage.

That being the case (pending how Project Brave is implemented), it is only rational and correct then for Morton to bin their youth development setup and focus on the first team instead. There's no point wasting time and resources when you're only going to be sitting at the beggars' table.

I love how it's an abject campaign because we've had 2 defeats. This coming from people I very much doubt have watched any of our 20s games or know what the club has below this level in the academy.

Very short sighted view that we should bin youth development as well.

It is well known that I watch a lot of 20s football and we do have some decent players. We played last night with a 15 year old at centre back and regularly feature kids at 16 or 17 years old.

McGowan was our oldest player last night at 20. Of all the teams I've seen we are one of the few that rarely play 1st team players. Only once I can remember this season usdoing that

The whole set up should change so that boys can play proper reserve team football and develop properly.

I love how it's an abject campaign because we've had 2 defeats.

Two defeats in just eight games, the bulk of which were played against the absolute dregs of Scottish football:

https://spfl.co.uk/development-league/west/

So yes - an abject record indeed. If the first team were floundering in such a manner then the manager would be getting mercilessly hounded for it. That is how football works. 

This coming from people I very much doubt have watched any of our 20s games or know what the club has below this level in the academy.

I don't watch any Strathspey Thistle games in the Highland League, but based on their results and the level that they're playing at I can state with 100% confidence that they're a rancid football team. I'm sure that your gold star for turning up to watch a nothing level of the game is in the post though. 

We played last night with a 15 year old at centre back and regularly feature kids at 16 or 17 years old. McGowan was our oldest player last night at 20. Of all the teams I've seen we are one of the few that rarely play 1st team players. Only once I can remember this season usdoing that

Which is both i) a piss-poor excuse for failure against utter dross like East Kilbride and ii) directly contradicts Hawke's vision for the squad when parading Barr in the summer:

“Darren is registering as a player to give us the option for him to actually play alongside the young boys in the development squad.

“The fact that he is 32 years of age, an experienced player who’s been around the Scotland national squad, means he has a lot to offer, there’s no doubt about that.

“I’d expect him to play in some of the 20s games, because I remember from my time at Sunderland when I played up front in the reserves with the likes of Peter Davenport and Eric Gates.

“They were both ex-England internationals, and I learned more in one game playing alongside those experienced players than I did in 10 games with a guy the same age as me.

“So I think it’s very important that we harness what we can have with Darren in terms of that additional element of being out there on the park."

So either the club can't get players to offer valuable, senior experience to their development squad, or can't get its story straight on how best to bring them through games. 

Very short sighted view that we should bin youth development as well.

The whole set up should change so that boys can play proper reserve team football and develop properly.

There is no indication whatsoever that the whole set up is going to change in the way that you propose: in fact, the current Project Brave proposals would drastically reduce the level of elite academies and raise the benchmark far above what GMFC could possibly sustain. Which will leave Morton youth squads playing and quite often losing to utterly shan setups, all of which are totally cut off from the limited pool of quality and resources within the Scottish youth game. The correct response is therefore to abandon a strategy that can at best deliver third-rate returns and devote that time, resources and expertise to a project with a better chance of success. Such as developing a competent scouting system to replace the ringer trialist approach that we regularly take each July. 

It makes no logical sense to persist with a scheme that literally dozens of other Scottish football clubs have already established and are doing better than GMFC, and expecting it to do anything to improve the standing of this once-proud football club. It is a pointless distraction. 

Archived