Club statement- Gambling on football - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club statement- Gambling on football

pink_panther

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out there are screenshots and photos of coupons on Andy Bryan's Twitter with the caption 'don't tell the SFA'. Fucking hell.

Which makes a mockery of the idea that someone must have grassed him in; the SFA are capable of finding the evidence themselves for anyone daft enough to do that.

We all know that gambling has been rife among lower league players over the years. In this thread alone there are examples of players at Morton and other clubs being seen in bookies, and I recall seeing players in the stand openly sitting looking over their coupons once when I was in hospitality years ago.

Still though, saying lots of people have done it is no defence and regardless of a kitman not being in a position to influence results, he knows fine well what the rules are, If he’s been daft enough to plaster it all over twitter he can’t be surprised about being caught, particularly if he’s continued doing so after the well publicised Ian Black, Dean Brett and Henry McClelland cases

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Ah yes, taking the most up to date info from the SFA's rule book, silly me :1eye:

When rules and structures have changed many times, and when commenting, specifically, on just one of his more historic charges, yes, it is a bit silly.

But yeah, rule 33 has always been seen as controversial due to the fact it covers all football, anywhere, which some deem overly restrictive.

But regardless, if the rule is in place and morons break it, then they deserve to be punished within the realms of what the rule allows.

What we don't need though, is Morton fans specifically referencing and linking the particular game you did. The eyes and fingers of accusations have already been pointed towards Morton from some within football in the past and it is a stick other fans beat us with.

These charges are only going to intensify that. We don't need our own fans, wrongly, joining wild dots themselves.

Hes on various social media platforms boasting about it. Jokingly asked Chris Morton TV for a loan of the £800 he raised (some boy btw) to pay his fine.

Hes not coming across very well IMO

I had a look at his twitter. Maybe slightly ironic that it looks like he fancied a bet on Dundee winning the league in the 13/14 season  :lol:

Hes on various social media platforms boasting about it. Jokingly asked Chris Morton TV for a loan of the £800 he raised (some boy btw) to pay his fine.

Hes not coming across very well IMO

d

Eh???

Am I reading this right? Did Chris organize a fundraiser to pay his fine?

That cunt ought to hang his head in shame if he accepts a single penny of it. It's his own fault.

*insert signature here*

No, the lad chris raised money for something else. He just commented with a throwaway comment about using it to pay his fine.

Trivial, but he really ought to keep his powder dry with respect of this.

He obviously doesn't appreciate the fact that he has dragged the good name of Morton through the mud with his actions.

The photo of him on the Evening Times website is a cracker. SFA charges should be the least of his worries...

*insert signature here*

Whoever at Cappielow grassed in the kitman for putting a coupon on wants to have a long hard look at themselves. Absoloute joke.

No coincidence for me that the two members of staff who the new manager didn’t want to still be at the club under his rain are now under investigation. In Andy’s case, while he has been stupid enough to be posting online about his bets, why is it only coming to light now?...Only a short period of time after his van was stolen. Possibly a coincidence, or is the gambling only coming to light as the first attempt to displace him didn’t work.

Remember we are talking about a fan of the club who has served us through thick and thin (even turning down the chance to go down south). Assuming that the matches he placed bets on do not involve Morton, has he really done anything wrong other than being stupid enough to not use a fake name.

No coincidence for me that the two members of staff who the new manager didn’t want to still be at the club under his rain are now under investigation. In Andy’s case, while he has been stupid enough to be posting online about his bets, why is it only coming to light now?...Only a short period of time after his van was stolen. Possibly a coincidence, or is the gambling only coming to light as the first attempt to displace him didn’t work.

Remember we are talking about a fan of the club who has served us through thick and thin (even turning down the chance to go down south). Assuming that the matches he placed bets on do not involve Morton, has he really done anything wrong other than being stupid enough to not use a fake name.

What the fuck?

EOho8Pw.png

I had a look at his twitter. Maybe slightly ironic that it looks like he fancied a bet on Dundee winning the league in the 13/14 season  :lol:

Aaaaand it's gone. He has deleted his Twitter, which is probably a good idea, but maybe a bit late.

I said earlier in the thread that I think the blanket rule is stupid - realistically nobody is harmed even if he was (for example) betting on the SPFL Premiership, or really even on other Championship games not involving Morton. But the rule is very clear, and he was plainly aware of it, so to flaunt it for years and years and to do so in public means that if the SFA want to make an example of someone, they won't find a better candidate. And for him to still be flapping his gums about it after the story comes out displays extremely poor judgement.

I have nothing against the guy and from the club's perspective I don't know if it's a sacking offence or not, but it speaks to extremely poor judgement that this situation has even arose.

And while I don't take the newspapers at face value, there is this in The Sun:

The ten charges go back as far as games played in 2012 — and some of them are understood to relate to Morton games.

"understood" is a weasel word, so it could be complete rubbish, but if it's true, that changes things in my view, and becomes much more severe than it would otherwise. Even if it's highly unlikely - in fact, virtually impossible - that the kit man could influence results, it's still an extremely bad look. It could be completely innocent, but then it might not be: he could be in possession of knowledge about injuries/knocks/whatever that the layperson isn't.

Not going to castigate the guy without solid evidence but if that report is correct, unfortunately I think he's in a lot of bother.

EOho8Pw.png

It would seem to me to nonesence and should be limmited to those who have the  power over the outcome of games including team selection. tactics and players. I wonder if the next is the groundsman caught for leaving the grass too long?

It would seem to me to nonesence and should be limmited to those who have the  power over the outcome of games including team selection. tactics and players. I wonder if the next is the groundsman caught for leaving the grass too long?

Without wanting to give this arms and legs, club professionals often have inside knowledge that punters don't, and it's good practice for them to stay away from any appearance of impropriety.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived