Davie McKinnon.. New Chief Executive? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Davie McKinnon.. New Chief Executive?

Will try to reserve judgment until he starts calling the shots, though any prior involvement with 'Dundee FC: Basketcase Club 1910-4eva' is an unavoidable red flag. 

I'm not sure why people are so convinced that budget cuts are now heading for the bin; I don't see why new investors would be any more prepared to throw money on this giant bonfire of a football club than GC. Unless the new chief executive can find massive amounts of fat to trim from the club's running costs that Iron Man overlooked then there's still going to be a significant downgrade to come. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it from this quick appointment Hawke was summarily dismissed rather than "resigned"?

He woke up on Friday morning with a horse's head in his bed beside him, with the word 'resign' written in blood on the wall.

Will try to reserve judgment until he starts calling the shots, though any prior involvement with 'Dundee FC: Basketcase Club 1910-4eva' is an unavoidable red flag.

Considering Dundee's previous owners (Marrs) are pretty much a North East version of the Easdales, this is a wise move.

From a Dundee fan in P&B:

"He took the position when we were really cash strapped and left before any of the dodgy goings on happened.

I think he was relatively competent at assisting with recruitment etc but his contact book did often seem to gravitate towards Ibrox.

I don't know how appealing we were for a manager at that time but his appointments of Alex Rae (who generally did OK over his spell and was a bit unfortunate to have a freakishly good Hamilton side in the league), clearly a bit thick, and Jocky Scott, who was six years since his last management gig at Raith, seemed quite regressive when looking at St Johnstone who brought in Coyle then McInnes in similar periods.

Not really heard many people say much bad about him though, ex players seem to be fond at least. I think it'd be hard to properly assess him based on his period here as I do think he was mostly selling a turd with the chaotic ownership situation."

That last sentence...

I'm not too sure VT, I'm just surprised our board would entertain someone so assertive, and it could be just what we need at this difficult time. He was assertive in a more protective way (to his daughter and mine) than the likes of "sir" Walter Smith, who I think is overtly lauded by the Scottish media.

WTF !?!

*insert signature here*

I worked with his sister in law a few years back and we’d been talking about the Save the Ton era. She came into work the following Monday and said she’d been talking to him and told him about my involvement with STT and how he’d been impressed with the efforts of that group in helping to save the club at the time. The upshot was that he had said that we were due to visit Dens Park a couple of weeks later and he’d invited me and another colleague, who used to post here as Lazy Arsed Student, as his guest for hospitality.

On the day I’d convinced the wife to come along, so that she could drive us home, LAS and I turned up at the ground and asked for Dave McKinnon as instructed, after a few minutes we were directed into the board room, handed a couple of beers and told he’d forgotten all about us. 😂

That was the day Irons was appointed after the game.

Nice for the first time to see a different way of looking at the lack of funds though.

Up to this point it has always been about reducing costs, whereas he, correctly, says that actually increasing revenue would have the same impact.

Not exactly business brain science, but nice to have someone at Cappielow stating the obvious and being positive.

“In business you can either cut costs or improve the revenue. I’ve always been a great believer in building business, and it’s up to me to try and bring in extra revenue and that’s something I’ll be doing.

“I’ve got big contacts and I’ve already been on the phone to some of them to bring in extra revenues from sponsorship.”

"There MAY be a reduced budget."

All interesting.

Also interesting is that he's mentioned Crawford a few times in a positive way. There's the assumption Rae is a bit soft but the changes that have happened are what people wanted and he done the same with Duffy.

His PR skills might not be the best but maybe he's a bit more ruthless and driven then we thought and his plans might work out. MacKinnon is apparently quite strong minded so can't imagine him being a yes man so we've got someone who will challenge him - that's a good sign for me of someone who wants to succeed and isn't just shying away from things.

The start of this season was the best I felt going into the league for years until Raymond snaked us then we had a poor replacement (who most thought was a good choice when he came in). I imagine that hit Rae pretty hard along with his dad dying and being involved in the share split or whatever happened.

Anyway, I'm hopeful Crawford will prove us wrong, he's certainly made a strong start to the close season.

Seems to me that there are two obvious areas to look at when it comes to getting sponsorship money in:

i) Shirt sponsorship. GC using the top to market their sweeties might have been okay back in the mid-2000s but if they're not interested in progressing the club any further then they need to pay the going rate for that perk. Not saying that they haven't been doing so all this time but a bit of competition with other firms can only be good for GMFC.

ii) Stadium naming . Yes it's shan and tacky, but any company who wants to pay for their brand to be associated with The Most Historic Ground in Scottish FootballTM should be allowed to do so. We literally can't afford to look that gift horse in the mouth. I'd only draw a firm line at 'sponsored substitution announcements' like that cringeworthy rabble up in Grangemouth have gone for. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Seems to me that there are two obvious areas to look at when it comes to getting sponsorship money in:

i) Shirt sponsorship. GC using the top to market their sweeties might have been okay back in the mid-2000s but if they're not interested in progressing the club any further then they need to pay the going rate for that perk. Not saying that they haven't been doing so all this time but a bit of competition with other firms can only be good for GMFC.

ii) Stadium naming . Yes it's shan and tacky, but any company who wants to pay for their brand to be associated with The Most Historic Ground in Scottish FootballTM should be allowed to do so. We literally can't afford to look that gift horse in the mouth. I'd only draw a firm line at 'sponsored substitution announcements' like that cringeworthy rabble up in Grangemouth have gone for.

Aye, there's a few things. I'd be looking to use some of the budget to get someone to look at the overall marketing side of things even on a part time basis with current admin doing the dirty work. I'm pretty sure they'd pay their own wage in a few months.

Jonathan is doing some good stuff on the media side but part of this role could be to bring some more focus across this and the whole PR side of things. Even the branding, etc is off just now and different all the time. I know it's a daft wee thing but it's just another example.

Nothing too out of the ordinary, but he's intent on making a positive go of it.

He was possibly 'intent on making a positive go' of every other club he was "Chief Executive" at. Probably used the same spiel at all those other dung outfits too.

Only a complete imbecele would buy into him. If he was in any way decent he's be at his spiritual home - Ibrox.

*insert signature here*

He was possibly 'intent on making a positive go' of every other club he was "Chief Executive" at. Probably used the same spiel at all those other dung outfits too.

Only a complete imbecele would buy into him. If he was in any way decent he's be at his spiritual home - Ibrox.

Always got to love the positivity and welcoming nature of Morton fans.

Archived