Article about the 96/97 Morton home shirt - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Article about the 96/97 Morton home shirt

Hi everyone! I run a wee blog about special football shirts and covered a rather old Morton top this week, from the 96/97 season spent in the old First Division. Thought it might be interesting to the history buffs among you, so figured I'd share it;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/greenock-morton-1996-1997-home-shirt/

As I am just a casual observer, I'm quite keen to hear whether I made any mistakes regarding the club while writing! I'm also very interested in hearing your thoughts about Morton kits, how the current 'home-made' ones are, which tops were the best and the worst, etc.

As it turns out, the pattern used by the club that year was shared by a few others including Peterborough, Woking, and Mansfield Town and I wrote a small piece about that as well;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/20 ... -lozenges/

20190414_140846.jpg

Thanks everyone, and hope to hear your thoughts!

One of, if not THE worst kits we have ever had.

Cheap, nasty, badges lasted about a week and a strong source of nipplitis.

Main comment on the article is that the 'unfamiliar broad stripes' kit was not a 'sartorial terror' but actually was one of our best ever, and the tartan kit that preceeded it was nothing short of iconic, to be resurrected many years later due to popularity.

But yes, deviating from the hoops is something not to be taken lightly, as the club know only too well after the backlash of their attempted 'Ajax' design a few years ago that was ultimately withdrawn and led to the more recent homemade stint.

Our first hooped shirt in about 8 seasons or so. I think I bought it from the wee club shop on Cathcart Street. As is typical with Morton, the quality was shoddy with the ironed-on badges and sponsor peeling off over time. The shiny material was also prone to snags and catches. The shirt we had the season after with the darker blue hoops was better.

Our first hooped shirt in about 8 seasons or so. I think I bought it from the wee club shop on Cathcart Street. As is typical with Morton, the quality was shoddy with the ironed-on badges and sponsor peeling off over time. The shiny material was also prone to snags and catches. The shirt we had the season after with the darker blue hoops was better.

The Sports Connection one? That was a great strip, as was the slightly day-glo away kit.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

The Sports Connection one? That was a great strip, as was the slightly day-glo away kit.

Something didn’t quite sit right with that top. Think it was where the sponsor was placed.

One of, if not THE worst kits we have ever had.

Cheap, nasty, badges lasted about a week and a strong source of nipplitis.

Main comment on the article is that the 'unfamiliar broad stripes' kit was not a 'sartorial terror' but actually was one of our best ever, and the tartan kit that preceeded it was nothing short of iconic, to be resurrected many years later due to popularity.

But yes, deviating from the hoops is something not to be taken lightly, as the club know only too well after the backlash of their attempted 'Ajax' design a few years ago that was ultimately withdrawn and led to the more recent homemade stint.

I do feel like stripes don't fit Morton, but then that is my view as a neutral - I own the Vandanel-produced remake of the Tartan kit though, and yes, that is iconic.

Morton were lucky to only stay with this material a season then - Woking kept it for four years across four shirts.

The sponsor material and shirt material shrank at different rates resulting in an awful looking top. I think I diy-d Janne's name and number on the back. Shocking.

I say, my top isn't looking the best anymore either. Very susceptible to snags as a previous poster mentioned.

If anyone feels like getting nostalgic, this site has an excellent overview of every Ton home kit to date;

http://historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Greenock_Morton/Greenock_Morton.htm

I had this one, the Argentina one and the Sports Connection one during the time when i lived in Aberdeen. 

The JWC strip was obviously my least favourite but I still didn't mind it

The Argentina one was far and away my favourite at the time and most of my Aberdeen supporting school mates thought it was a belter as well!

here today, gone to hell

It was meant to have a pattern through it which would have made it darker.

Is it true that the Argentina strip was meant to be darker, but there was a mixup in the order?

Was not not meant to be more of a “Morton” blue.

The orange Umbro top was also a mistake it was meant to be yellow, which we eventually got the following season.

Archived