2026 World Cup - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2026 World Cup

Unless they're committing to fixing their Third World level infrastructure - having more than a handful of trains to serve a continent - then the event should have been awarded to Russia again. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Unless they're committing to fixing their Third World level infrastructure - having more than a handful of trains to serve a continent - then the event should have been awarded to Russia again. 

We in the US have one of the most extensive rail networks in the world*, just it's used to serve freight, because with the exception of the Northeastern US there are relatively few areas that have two population centres linked by lots of towns inbetween. (The reason the West Coast Main Line works in the UK, for example, is because the express stops serve such a massive percentage of the UK population within 30 minutes of a station, whereas the same isn't true in most of the US.) Meanwhile the Northeastern US actually has quite a good service along the Acela line between DC and Boston and all points in between (including NYC and Philadelphia.) There is the start of a high-speed rail line here in Texas, linking Houston to DFW, but I think this is completely extraneous personally, and I'll be interested to see how much money it makes, given the excellent road, bus, and air connections between the two areas.

The only areas I can think of that really merit high-speed rail to augment what's already there are the northern I-5 corridor (and this absolutely has to start in Vancouver if it's not going to be a white elephant) and - controversially - Atlanta to South Florida. I don't think anywhere else really has the population density or lack of other options to justify it. I mean, you could build a massive HS line across the continent, you could build one from Chicago to Seattle if you wanted to, you could build one from Charlotte to Denver, from Bismarck to Dallas, but who's actually going to ride it?

I am in complete agreement that there are huge aspects of our infrastructure that need a lot of work - and I expect our infrastructure to actually get worse between now and 2026 because we lack the human capital to push it as a political issue, before we even get to the dreadful standard of work we're capable of -  but to call it third world because we don't have a large passenger rail network is to miss the point when we have a very good (that is, top 10% globally) highway system and an excellent (that is, top 1% globally) flight network.

Basically high-speed rail outside a very small corner of the country is a boondoggle that only appeals to granola-snorters.

*edit: looked it up, it's actually the most extensive, bigger than the next three put together. But as I said, it's almost always used for freight.

edit edit: and what really fucked us in terms of mass transportation isn't metro-to-metro (which is generally excellent via air or road) but suburban sprawl. You simply can't serve somewhere like Phoenix or DFW effectively with a rail hub because of the way it's built. You're talking the equivalent of slum clearances, only with McMansion suburbs, to make that work. I'd be all for it but realistically it's not happening.

EOho8Pw.png

Russia is by far the largest country and one of the more sparsely populated countries on the planet; yet even their post-communist mafia state is still able to put on regular trains to every World Cup destination; the United States cannot (never mind a bin like Mexico).

Until it can do that - or provide an alternative ferry service - then all bids for a football tournament should be denied. If you are forced to check in to an airport or use a bus at any point then it's a gubbins failure of a tournament. Give it back to the Motherland then.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

You can get a train to every likely WC destination in the US, it'll just take you a few days, or you'll be in a boxcar listening to the sweet strains of the blues harp.

EOho8Pw.png

Russia is by far the largest country and one of the more sparsely populated countries on the planet; yet even their post-communist mafia state is still able to put on regular trains to every World Cup destination; the United States cannot (never mind a bin like Mexico).

Until it can do that - or provide an alternative ferry service - then all bids for a football tournament should be denied. If you are forced to check in to an airport or use a bus at any point then it's a gubbins failure of a tournament. Give it back to the Motherland then.

Shut up ya fanny.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Shut up ya fanny.

I don't recall asking for the opinion of a jakey tramp; take your groomer and get back in your box then. 

I think they just wanted the buy-in of more associations, and getting Mexico on board guarantees a lot of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL co-operation.

Mexico will provide three cities - Mexico City (Azteca), Guaralajara (presumably Chivas' ground), and Monterey (presumably Rayados' ground.) These are all fantastic stadiums and while the US has similar facilities that won't be used, as long as their transport infrastructure is ready they will all be fine hosts.

I don't like any of the three stadia in Canada except Toronto's and I hope Montreal in particular gets completely rebuilt.

For the US, this is a complete guess and I've done no homework but from the 17 here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup#United_States - I think it'll be these:

New York (guaranteed, it's the final's venue, announced already)

Los Angeles
Seattle
Houston
San Francisco
Dallas
Kansas City or Denver (most likely the former)
Atlanta
Miami
Washington DC or Philadelphia (most likely the former)

So one of Denver or KC, DC or Philly will miss out, and I don't see Cincinnati, Baltimore, Boston, Orlando, or Nashville getting a look-in. On the other hand they might only give one Texas city the nod, in which case I think they'd give it to Dallas because of the higher capacity, and then they'll give it to someone in the north-east.

EOho8Pw.png

I see that out of 80 games, the USA will be hosting 60, and Mexico and Canada 10 each. There are very few countries which will realistically be able to hold a World Cup alone now it's been extended to 48 teams, but the USA is one of them. Bringing in Mexico and Canada is just a nonsense, and takes away a couple of qualifying spots.

When you consider that North America will have those three automatic qualifiers, as well as at least another two or three who will come through the qualifying process, I'd be interested to see what confederation will be suffering in order to accommodate this. Of course, with this being the first 48 team tournament, we won't get a clear answer to that.

It could, however make a case for us to go in with England and Wales/Eire in the future, now a precedent's been set.

So "not really", then. Two smaller countries is one thing, three massive ones take the piss when one of them is plenty capable of hosting on its own.

I don't disagree, the US is one of a handful of countries that could easily pull off a 48-team tournament without breaking too much sweat - major conventions and events take place in all the 17 shortlisted cities (even regional ones like Cincinnati and Nashville) all the time. But it's politics, and getting the CONCACAF's big two on board would help enormously to smooth things over, especially given FEMEXFUT's tie to the CONMEBOL confederations and all that's done on with the US Department of Justice. (Not accusing FEMEXFUT of any wrongdoing whatsoever - rather I'm saying that, as fellow Latinos, they have a much closer line to the South American associations than does US Soccer.)

Bear in mind too that the alternative bid was Morocco. Ghana also bid but withdrew. My guess is that this has been planned all along since the FIFA corruption scandal, and the US were told they'd have a free run at it as long as Mexico came along as well, and somehow Canada got added into the mix too. That's just a guess but since the tournament could easily have been here in the US, it's all I can think of. Because do you think Morocco had a stronger bid than the US' 17 provisional cities?

I see that out of 80 games, the USA will be hosting 60, and Mexico and Canada 10 each. There are very few countries which will realistically be able to hold a World Cup alone now it's been extended to 48 teams, but the USA is one of them. Bringing in Mexico and Canada is just a nonsense, and takes away a couple of qualifying spots.

When you consider that North America will have those three automatic qualifiers, as well as at least another two or three who will come through the qualifying process, I'd be interested to see what confederation will be suffering in order to accommodate this. Of course, with this being the first 48 team tournament, we won't get a clear answer to that.

It could, however make a case for us to go in with England and Wales/Eire in the future, now a precedent's been set.

I'm assuming that the host slots will be taken from the normal qualification pool. CONCACAF has six (!!!!!!!!) automatic places slated for 2026, so that would cut qualification down to three.

For reference here are the top 9 teams in CONCACAF:

15 Mexico
23 Costa Rica
25 USA
54 Jamaica
55 Panama
62 Honduras
72 El Salvador
79 Canada
81 Curacao

EOho8Pw.png

I don't disagree, the US is one of a handful of countries that could easily pull off a 48-team tournament without breaking too much sweat - major conventions and events take place in all the 17 shortlisted cities (even regional ones like Cincinnati and Nashville) all the time. But it's politics, and getting the CONCACAF's big two on board would help enormously to smooth things over, especially given FEMEXFUT's tie to the CONMEBOL confederations and all that's done on with the US Department of Justice. (Not accusing FEMEXFUT of any wrongdoing whatsoever - rather I'm saying that, as fellow Latinos, they have a much closer line to the South American associations than does US Soccer.)

Bear in mind too that the alternative bid was Morocco. Ghana also bid but withdrew. My guess is that this has been planned all along since the FIFA corruption scandal, and the US were told they'd have a free run at it as long as Mexico came along as well, and somehow Canada got added into the mix too. That's just a guess but since the tournament could easily have been here in the US, it's all I can think of. Because do you think Morocco had a stronger bid than the US' 17 provisional cities?

I didn't actually mean that to sound like I was questioning your answer...could probably have worded it a bit better!

AWMSC

That Russian anthem would make you run through walls.

I'll go for a conservative 2-1 win for the Russian Federation, Akinfeev giving away a completely preventable goal to make it 1-1 but a late winner for the hosts.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived